• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with new gaming / general use build, $2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hard to say, I do think it is safe to assume all AAA titles will support it.

Especially if there are no single card solutions for the 4K question ?

I am hoping we do see a 4K card in the form of the Ti for around 8 bills

Wouldn't it be great if it released at 6 bills :)

Well it would be that or vega for the best chance of a single card 4k solution right now

This may be a stupid question but can 4k monitors be driven at lower resolutions like TVs can?

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm debating 1 vs 2x 1080 right now, then upgrade to a Ti or the ATI equivalent when they come out. I don't want to wait 3 months to start building!

I'm leaning towards the 7700K and either an ASUS or Gigabyte mobo.

I'd like to use a WC setup for the CPU that I can add to later if I decide to do the GPU as well... are there any complete kits that allow for expanding? Or should I just build from scratch? Thinking a setup with a decent reservoir and a large radiator with 3 fans would allow for greater expandability.

This is it:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC8W4Z05625

It is expandable but depending how many video cards you want to add into the cooling loop it may not be enough without another radiator. So get a case that will allow for adding another radiator.

Certainly, there are 3x120 AIO kits to be hand for less if push comes to shove in your budget. But what Witchy listed is an excellent product. You will pay more for expandability.

Ah OK I looked it up and watched a video on what it includes; I originally wanted a case I could see into, but in reality, it's going to sit under my desk so it's not that big of a deal.

I don't mind the look of the Air 540 at all; actually, having a shorter but wider case will probably make picking a desk easier (this is all part of my office renovation). More overhead room will make venting it out the top easier.

As far as GPU(s), I've decided on the 1080, but which brand / model? Is the pick for a single GPU the same if I want to do SLI? Or is there a model that's better when in SLI than the top single card? IE, EVGA 1080 HOF is better for single, but regular EVGA 1080 works better than 2x HOF in SLI?

Ah OK I looked it up and watched a video on what it includes; I originally wanted a case I could see into, but in reality, it's going to sit under my desk so it's not that big of a deal.

I don't mind the look of the Air 540 at all; actually, having a shorter but wider case will probably make picking a desk easier (this is all part of my office renovation). More overhead room will make venting it out the top easier.

As far as GPU(s), I've decided on the 1080, but which brand / model? Is the pick for a single GPU the same if I want to do SLI? Or is there a model that's better when in SLI than the top single card? IE, EVGA 1080 HOF is better for single, but regular EVGA 1080 works better than 2x HOF in SLI?

One model is as SLI capable as the other. Some of them may have slightly higher clocks on the GPU and RAM but practically speaking, I would just go for the best buy on whatever 1080 I could find. And yes, if you get one now and a different brand or model of 1080 later for SLI they should play together without any problem. Look for a sale or a good rebate.

I would pick an EVGA 1080 and upgrade to the 1080 ti@launch, thanks to the step-up program.

You can game@4K with the 1080 with a few settings turned down, and would enjoy the "Ultra" with ythe 1080ti in a couple of months, at a lower budget and less hassle than with a couple of 1080's.

OK so I got bit by the upgrade bug and tried to make informed purchases as best I could, and here's what I came up with:

Asus MG28UQ 28" 4K monitor
i7 7700K CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5 mobo
GSkill TridentZ 2x16GB DDR4 3000 RAM
EVGA SuperNova 750 P2 PSU
Corsair Air 540 case
EKWB L360 WC kit (for CPU only ATM)
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB drive
2TB Hitachi HDD
2x EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB

All told (so far) was within $200 of my original budget, and included a monitor (but not a KB or mouse or optical... will have to share for the build)

I'll try to do a proper build thread, but I'm horrible at stopping to take pics.

Thank you all for your input on this post and in other threads!

I' would go with one 1080 only, as the 1080ti (step-up) should be sufficient for 602fps Ultra@4K (you could still add a second down the road if you feel that is necessary). That would save you a good $400...

I would pick an EVGA 1080 and upgrade to the 1080 ti@launch, thanks to the step-up program.

You can game@4K with the 1080 with a few settings turned down, and would enjoy the "Ultra" with ythe 1080ti in a couple of months, at a lower budget and less hassle than with a couple of 1080's.

This is good advice. If you intend to step up to a Ti when they come out, it would give you smallest financial hit when you upgrade.

Then again, I'm a big fan of the HOF cards. And they sure are pretty cards.....LOL

I thought about going one 1080 for the interim, but chances are high that I will miss the TI launch, and probably better so; I'll get them when prices come down a bit.

Hey, if it works out, that'd be great! Assuming, of course, that EVGA puts out a Ti worth trading for.

If not, my 2nd rig gets a killer card and I have a buddy who would do anything for the other one.

Hey, if it works out, that'd be great! Assuming, of course, that EVGA puts out a Ti worth trading for.

If not, my 2nd rig gets a killer card and I have a buddy who would do anything for the other one.

I used their program a few times, always worked.

EVGA is the NVidia partner of choice. They are the first served usually.

Got a 680 to 780 step up on launch.

And a 780 to 780ti launch day as well.

I was just looking at EVGA's step up program, and it's apparently only a 90 day window. There's always the Titan Z, but a pair of 1080s is probably less expensive.

Yeah, I was slow typing/posting. Day late and a dollar short is the story of my life. LOL Believe it or not I was responding to post #34 with that. It's late where I am and I'm slowing down. :)

Back