• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Helping a co-worker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scu84St3v3420

So I will start this thread by saying I have a co-worker considering a gaming pc with a reasonable budget of $1000USD and under. He isn't to computer minded from what I can gather, but also isn't stupid by any means, so I am trying to put together a list for him to check out on PC PartPicker... I would say the real goal here is to show him a 1080p beast that will blow his Xbox One out of the water in performance. This list is purely the tower portion of the build, he would run on a 1080p TV to start off and purchase a decent monitor later.

But I wanted some input from you all on weather or not this list will allow for 120 FPS+ on most titles at high settings and if there are any changes you might suggest and still remain in budget.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mzZsMZ

Please let me know what you think, I have no experience with the gtx 1060's, but from what I've read the 6GB version should be able to handle 1080p high settings at above 60 FPS given the rest of the hardware. Also there would be an upgrade for the boot drive to a smaller capacity SSD obviously, this is just to give him a list to begin with and be able to get up and running.

If at all possible throw in an SSD for the OS and programs to live on. Best bang for the buck of any upgrade for general computing. I like your list overall. The big bottleneck will likely be using a TV for a gaming monitor. He will likely get ghosting and tearing because the refresh rate and vertical frequency of TVs is generally pretty slow.

If at all possible throw in an SSD for the OS and programs to live on. Best bang for the buck of any upgrade for general computing. I like your list overall. The big bottleneck will likely be using a TV for a gaming monitor. He will likely get ghosting and tearing because the refresh rate and vertical frequency of TVs is generally pretty slow.

Indeed, there would be an upgrade of a 120GB SSD for the OS to boot from probably the week before it's built, this is just to cover the bulk buy of the system. As well shortly after buying the computer a 1080p monitor would be purchased, I am also trying to gauge is purchasing a 144hz is overkill for this build or if most competitive online games would benefit from it. My guess is outside of games such as AC: Origins and current Tomb Raider titles that this would be the case.

Thanks for your input man!

i would forgo the wd blue for now and grab one of these(microcenters housebrand). 3yr warranty. the reviews are pretty solid(for what its worth).
http://www.microcenter.com/product/..._SATA_III_6Gb-s_25_Internal_Solid_State_Drive
if he only plans on gaming he probably could get away with just the ssd.
i would also like to make your decision even harder by showing you this cpu/mb combo for $228 @ microcenter
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...0X,_ASUS_Prime_A320M-K_CPU-Motherboard_Bundle
granted the mb isnt great and doesnt oc but with a 1800x he wont need to. and finding a nice matx vs itx case will be pretty easy.
and finally i know alot of people dont like to buy from scdkey because it seems to good to be true. despite that i have bought 4-5 win 10 pro keys from them without a hitch. ive never paid more than $30.
if you go with the above suggestions you may be able to bump his gpu up to a 1070/1080 if you can find a good sale.

hows that for a monkey wrench in the works!?

Back