• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hidden dangers of over clocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OS is child's play, when really pushing, especially in Win10 I can take out my BIOS. Also have a couple boards with a blown RAM channel upstairs somewhere they still work but single channel only :shrug: .

Holy *expletive*! I corrupted a VGA BIOS once with a greedy OC, but I was unaware you could do that sort of stuff to a mobo!

When I pushed stuff hard, I did notice also a complete "reset" of bios. I have bios picture disabled, and all of a sudden, it would come up. Worst was when I was barely stable to just get I to bios and then it keeps freezing half a second later. I had to memorize hot keys to click reset fast enough.

I also noticed when hard on, I end up with half ram or 1/3 when in triple channel, but I don't know if weak stick is going invisible or the actual chanel

You'd be surprised what excessive amounts of voltage can do to things ha ha

When I was young I kept seeing all these guyz bragging how high they got, showing each other their parts. "Man my watercooling loop is bigger than yours" I heard alot. Then when I had my first hit of overclocking, I felt the rush and I was hooked ever since.

There's no rehab, no recovery (unless you recover the bios), no therapy and no group sessions (unless you're in the benching team) ;)

Blood in/Blood out! :D

for 24/7 operation I run the cpu at max clocks and leave the ram at defaults.
some of the benches we use depend on ram to up the all important scores but other than that you get nothing at all to very little (looks at ryzen) from ram.
cpu is king, memory a distant second and the other stuff way on down the list.
reguardless of what you have, you gotta cool the thing, cooler is better all across the board.

You have not only altered your time continuum(from which there is no return) you have also altered the molecular structure of your spatial coordinates, causing an inter-dimensional rift.

View attachment 200306

The only hope for redemption is to configure your system stable. Maybe relax those timings a bit....perhaps bump that voltage a tad.

Pinhead. That's awesome. Thanks for the flashback. :D

Hello Overclockers.com, my name is Dolk. I bought a Limited Edition Vega 64.... when I already have one in my daily system; watercooled and overclocked with custom reg edits. I bought this second card because I am addicted to overclocking, tuning, and the pursuit for a perfect setup. It has utterly consumed my life. The saddest part is that I knew it wouldn't bring me happiness in my daily gaming rig. I knew that crossfire didn't work for my of my games, and introduced double frametime latency for those I do play. But I bought that card anyway because I wanted to test it all out for myself. I have never been able to break my addiction, and I guess just being here will only make it worse.

Hello Friends, my name is Taco. Anytime I have free time, my finger reaches for "del", bios enter key. I know ram doesn't givee much of a boost and my North bridge won't be stable without huge volts. Also I don't need any performance from overcloking, but I do it anyways. I'm afraid to talk to the doctors because I'm afraid of their diagnosis. With time I'm hoping it'll get better.

With the release of the B450 boards, my itch for a 2700X system is kicking off again... I don't need it... I don't need it... I don't need it...

I've managed to keep myself tame so far, but that's mostly due to lack of money to replace anything I break. I threw my Ryzen 3 1200 straight to 1.4V and 3.9GHz. Wouldn't boot. 3.8 runs like a charm, but I didn't touch the RAM for the longest time. I saw LinusTechTips' video about speeds above 2666 not mattering, so I just left it there. Finally decided to try my hand and got 2933 stable @1.35 volts. :D

RAM speed affects Ryzen's overall performance in ways Intel doesn't benefit from. Faster RAM=faster CPU on Ryzen.

Yeah I figured that out. I'm gonna try and buy used RAM, a used CPU, and a used motherboard when I upgrade, just so I can get a board, CPU, and memory combo that is verified to run at X speed.

Back