• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High pagefile usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoadknux

Hey guys. I'm running a 2x8 DDR3 G-Skill overclocked to 2133MHz at CL12 timings (XMP is 1600MHz CL9). I've read that configuring your Pagefile to be about the same size as your RAM helps performance, so I've done so (Running Win10).

1. Is that true? Should I reduce the PF size? It's currently at 16GB.
2. MSI Afterburner has the ability to monitor pagefile usage... and I noticed my Pagefile usage is higher than my RAM usage. Is that normal? Why should the PC use the pagefile if it didn't use all the RAM (it didn't even come close)? Here's what the Afterburner shows (Notice current usage and Max):
FCMCmk6.png

Would love some insight! Thanks!

I'd certainly reduce it (esp. if your System drive is a rusty HDD) try 2GB min and max and then push it with your usual load, I normally use Pagefile Usage Monitor (on W7) to keep tabs on what's been happening, sometimes a WMIC call (#34 here).

I try to keep memory resident software and especially drivers to a minimum, same with Services. Light is good, less chance of resource issues and crashes, smaller attack vector for malware.

If you do run out of memory on a fixed pagefile system, you'll know it! The software that called for more memory will silently close, poof!

I'd certainly reduce it (esp. if your System drive is a rusty HDD) try 2GB min and max and then push it with your usual load, I normally use Pagefile Usage Monitor (on W7) to keep tabs on what's been happening, sometimes a WMIC call (#34 here).

I try to keep memory resident software and especially drivers to a minimum, same with Services. Light is good, less chance of resource issues and crashes, smaller attack vector for malware.

If you do run out of memory on a fixed pagefile system, you'll know it! The software that called for more memory will silently close, poof!
Hi,

My system runs on an SSD. I've reduced the Pagefile usage by allowing Windows to manage it, which changed it to about 2GB. However, the MSI afterburner still shows rather high pagefile usage. Maybe the monitoring tool is faulty?

Anyway, I don't feel like the computer is slow or sluggish when under load. Just trying to learn from this :)

Yes, there's a chance that Afterburner is misreading, try either, or both, of the workarounds I suggested earlier to cross reference.

EDIT: just noticed I missed the 2nd link before, here you go, #34 for a pagefile readout, I use the txt version.

Back