• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High pitch noise from speaker after new MB install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMStanced

Since i got a new set up (signature), my JBL studio speaker generates this high pitch noise.
It seems like only one of two makes the sound at a time. I tried all the usb ports and still same result.
What could it be? How can i fix it?

The speaker is connected via USB port? Does it have a built in DAC or are you using a separate one? Are all of the motherboard standoff screws in use? Sounds like maybe a poor ground somewhere in the system.

Yes via usb.
Are you talking about multiple standing tabs that MB sits on?
I do remember not screwing all those bolts in .. lol i thought its used to hold mb in place rather than for ground purpose.

quite possibly, I've heard of people skipping them without issue, but odd audio problems seem to come from things like that. But I do think some less critical traces ground on those, at least they used to back in the day (i.e. the metal that goes around the outside of the usb plug). Although I would expect that to be more of a problem with an audio output. What model speaker is it exactly? When I Google JBL studio speakers I don't find something with a USB input.

like said above, most audio hums or whines are generally caused by a ground loop or improper grounding, be sure the motherboard, psu, everything is properly grounded where intended. (EG mb screws, the psu is usually grounded to the case through these as well, where exactly are the speakers plugged into the motherboard? are they just powered by usb or do they get the audio signal from the usb as well?

oh actually my speaker doesn't have USB. it goes through Audioengine.

There was one bolt that wasnt same as other bolts that were holding down Mb.
Changed that to the same bolt and problem fixed LOl.

Last edited:
Awesome!
If you feel the problem has been resolved mark the thread as [solved] if you are able (idk if its been fixed or not yet)

Incredible that you installed a taichi using odd standoffs.:-/
Learn something new every day. So much for the audio chipsets being 'isolated' from the mobo bs.
I was looking at an old foxconn once that had a tube amp on the mobo which could be used even when the pc was off. That's what I call isolation. Still wish I had bought it.

Back