• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Temprature Warnings on AMD FX 8150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inwell

Registered
Hello friends,

I have purchased a FX 8150 (3.6 GHz) CPU and mounted on ASUS M5A97 R2.0
I have set the bios to use all the default values (NO OVERCLOCKING).
Installed Win7 x64 Ultimate and installed the ASUS utility AI Suite (monitors the temp.)

It shows me idle CPU temp around 34c. Once i start my 3dsMax and start the actual rendering process it throws WARNING msg showing that my CPU temp is around 70c

Is it that bad to continue ? what should be my workaround ?

System is installed in CoolerMaster 690 ii chassis with 4 120 mm CoolerMaster fans for air circulation( Front and bottom 1 for intake and rear and top for exhaust)

regards

Yes, what cooler are you using? of course even if its the stock cooler it shouldn't overheat that fast. Id say you have a bad mount, or your fan isnt working right on the cooler. If its the stock cooler you really should look to replace it even if your not going to overclock with as hot as these 8xxx chips run.

+1 to what ssj said. Also, what thermal paste did you use and are you sure you properly applied it? Usually when things ramp up that quickly, it's an indicator of some inefficiency in the installation and 70 is definitely high for a stock chip.

@ ninja and ssj...

i m using the the cooler that came along with the CPU.. nothing extra...

how would i know that it is not placed properly ? fan fitted in proper socket clips isnt good to say its properly fitted..?

what diff should i do now..? adding few more case fans will work..?

regards

You might not have the mounting bracket fully engaged, CPU isnt sitting level in the socket, theres a number of things that can go wrong with mounting a heatsink.

Seems extremely fishy, I have a 8120 overclocked to 3.8 on the stock cooler, and I idle around 26/27c and prime 95 full load around 63c, and a full render in Photoshop CS6 will spike all 8 cores to about 95% on a huge radiant blur and it won't budge over 50c, make sure you use proper amounts of thermal paste as well, too much is bad and won't disperse heat properly.

Cheers!

Did the factory HSF comes with those pre-applied thermal "pads"? If not, what paste did you use and how did you apply it? I don't think adding case fans would help all that much.

I would first remove the HSF, reapply TIM, and remount everything, ensuring you follow some kind of tutorial.

Do you have a tube of paste? If not, I would still take off the HSF and remount it. The pre-applied stuff isn't terribly effective, but it is impossible to mess up and should be giving you better results than what you're getting. Something's gotta be off.

ninja,

if i get the paste/tube , how should i clean the old paste from processor? should i remove the processor from its socket and clean or let it sit in the socket and then clean the surface there ?

Just use a cotton swab/ball and some isopropyl alcohol. OEM paste is awful stuff you might want to scrape it off with a flat edged tool, but be careful not to scratch the surface. Id use a plastic tool personally. Leave the CPU in place and gently wipe it clean. Make sure to give it a min or so to dry fully before reapplying your heatsink.

i have seen videos where they show 2 ways to apply the paste...
1. spread the paste equally on the CPU/heatsink like we paint the wall
or
2.just put a drop of paste on the cpu and let the heatsink itself spread it ..

what is better ?

The middle of the IHS is the hottest and most critical place so the dot method works well. Spreading it from edge to edge almost ensures that paste is going to squeeze out of the edges.

I like to put one decent dot in the middle and 4 tiny dots about 1/4 of the way in at each corner. I get pretty complete coverage this way with little escaping around the IHS.

I've used several different methods and they all seem to produce about the same results. Just make sure with the dot method, that you put enough on there that it does spread across the whole surface. You don't want a mess, but metal on metal will definitely not give good results.

I usually just use my fingernail on dried up paste. Alcohol will soften it up if needed, though.

I have 2 Phenom II x6 1090T CPU's (3.2GHZ & 3.4GHZ OC), 1 FX-8120 (3.6GHZ OC), 1 FX-8150 (3.6GHZ) and my temps range from 35-40c running F@H, 40c on on the FX-8120, all 4 CPU's have the V6GT cooler.
Here are 2 screen shots of HWMonitor for 3 of my rigs.

FX-8120 OCed to 3.6 GHZ
8120-3.6GHZ-c.JPG

Phenom II 1090T 3.2GHZ
hwmonitor_min_max_79f-c.jpg

FX-8150 3.6GHZ
FX-8150-c.JPG

All 3 CPU's are running at full load. Also my FX-8150 sits at around 36-38c stock speed 100% load, so I would think the stock cooler needs to be re-mounted to get a better fit.

Last edited:
Back