• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Horrible Internet problems and no idea what's causing them.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Solkia

Hello, I can't for the life of me find any info on this through google so I'll get to the point

Can problems with CPU pins affect internet speeds? On my little mediocre desktop my internet was working great until I installed a Xigmatek GAIA over my Athlon X4 750k, then the max I could get was around 4KBps, and eventually it just stopped working altogether.

I tried re-installing drivers, using a PCI ethernet card, changing our router, and changing cables, but nothing seems to be working.

I did notice some programs like Movie Maker will crash temporarily, but I don't know if that's because I only have 4GB of RAM or if the processor is being weird.

When I removed the processor from the socket, all the pins seemed to be there, and no pins fell out of the socket, so I'm really confused as to why it's doing this.

Any ideas?

So you have the same modem and same router as your mediocre desktop that worked fine correct? What all has changed? When you had your desktop on, did you run wireless and Lan cable.

Now with the new dekstop, what is different? I am trying to isolate where the issue is or could possibly lie. Do you still have your mediocre dekstop? Or was it scrapped to build the new one?

At first I thought it was the modem, so I had that replaced with a new one. It isn't that.

Then I thought it might be a dying NIC so I bought a PCI ethernet card and that didn't help either.

Then I thought it might be the ethernet cable (I'm running LAN to answer that question).
I tried using a different one and that didn't help either.

Then I asked a tech support friend and they thought it may be a bad driver, so I re-installed sad driver, and it didn't work.

Then I asked another tech support friend and she said to try re-installing the operating system, which I can't do since my desktop doesn't have a disc drive, and the USB drive I used to install the OS went missing.

No new desktop, I still have the mediocre one, but currently it's been disassembled since I want to use a different case.

Could it be the OS like she said? I don't really have any way of fixing that.

I don't see it being the OS( But it could be). I would suspect driver issue. BUT just reinstalling the driver could keep the problem there. What you would need to do is do a driver sweep. I am not sure if they have an easy program for the Ethernet driver. I would do a double check and see if you could wipe all of the driver off and then try again. Was this new PC a fresh build? or just an upgrade from the Mediocre desktop you mentioned. How did it come about? Did all the Mobo drivers get installed? Because it might be missing its Ethernet drivers.

What is the internet doing? Fluctuating speeds? just trying to get some details on that as well. You using a cable internet or a DSL internet? Just want to make sure it couldn't be an external source. I will do my best to try and help. but these issues can be hard. I have had something like this happen to me and spent 1-2 months trying to figure it out and ended up doing all the stuff you mentioned and OS and it all. Finally I called the cable guy and what happened if my lawn mower guys weed eated the cable entering my house and was causing the connection to go bad. So redid the wire coming into the house and it fixed everything.

can you boot to a LiveCD of linux and test from there?

That eliminated windows and any driver issues.

I don't see it being the OS( But it could be). I would suspect driver issue. BUT just reinstalling the driver could keep the problem there. What you would need to do is do a driver sweep. I am not sure if they have an easy program for the Ethernet driver. I would do a double check and see if you could wipe all of the driver off and then try again. Was this new PC a fresh build? or just an upgrade from the Mediocre desktop you mentioned. How did it come about? Did all the Mobo drivers get installed? Because it might be missing its Ethernet drivers.

What is the internet doing? Fluctuating speeds? just trying to get some details on that as well. You using a cable internet or a DSL internet? Just want to make sure it couldn't be an external source. I will do my best to try and help. but these issues can be hard. I have had something like this happen to me and spent 1-2 months trying to figure it out and ended up doing all the stuff you mentioned and OS and it all. Finally I called the cable guy and what happened if my lawn mower guys weed eated the cable entering my house and was causing the connection to go bad. So redid the wire coming into the house and it fixed everything.

It was a fresh build. What I mean by mediocre is the parts are pretty garbage. Cheap MSI MOBO, Radeon 7770, 4GB RAM, Athlon X4 750k, not good for much other than a few Steam games. I had every driver installed, and it was working perfectly up until I installed the Xigmatek GAIA.

It wasn't really fluctuating persay, but I could never get higher than 4KBps, and I'm not patient enough to wait the 72 days estimated download time for Arkham Asylum.

It's cable internet, COX communications. I don't think it's a chewed cable or anything because my mother's laptop and my dad's laptop work flawlessly.

@Mr. Guvernment, I don't have anything I can do an external boot with, nor do I have any experience with Linux.

So cable internet that terminates directly into a cable modem\router right?
Has physical ports and wifi?
Your directly connected to that via Ethernet and its 10 base or 100 base?
Tried adjusting network card duplex?
The laptops are connected via Ethernet or Wifi?

You are trying to download game from steam, have you tried files from other locations? Then tried same ones on laptops?
Does browsing also feel slow?
Can you test copy files across network from laptop to desktop?
Tried speedtest.net and dslreports.com?

You were using onboard nic which became very slow and then died completely? As in it lost network connectivity to router and showed as unplugged or just could not connect to anything including websites? Then switched to PCI card which works but is slow also for downloads and browsing?

Seems really odd and sounds more like an internet problem than a hardware one.

Back