• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*HOT HOT* X1800XL 512mb @ ZZF $199 shipped - FLASH TO X1800XT!! (BACK Ordered)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stock with no mods you should be getting 8-9k in 3D05 vs 4-5k in 3D05 for your X800GTO

So for the same price you paid 8mths ago you get a huge performance improvement as well as your old card is still worth $75-100 :p

How much does an x800gto2 flashed to x850 go for now? If I could convince my wife that, after selling old parts, the price isn't much, I might be able to swing an upgrade...

Sweekz said:
just bought one yesterday

how do you flash a video card bios

hehehe
Here's what I do:
  • Create a MS-Dos startup disk (stick a floppy disk in, and right click on A: drive and you'll see the option there)
  • Go here and download the latest atiflash program (the list of bios flash programs are all the way at the bottom of the page)
  • Unzip the atiflash.exe file and put it onto the ms-dos startup disk you just created
  • Obtain the new bios you want from whatever website, and put that *.bin file also onto the ms-dos disk
  • Reboot your PC and boot from floppy
  • Once you get to MS-dos, you're good to flash (look below)

Just make sure you back up your old bios (JUST IN CASE)!!!

To backup your old bios, type this in ms-dos:
atiflash -s 0 oldbios.bin
(you can change oldbios to whatever name you'd like)

Now, to flash the new bios, type this:
atiflash -p 0 -f newbios.bin
(newbios would be changed to whatever the bios file's name is)

If the flash goes bad, you'll either have to redo the flash procedure blind, or you'll need a pci card to do it with.

But note that the newbios switch should be enabled so that you dont run into detections issues. So flash like this:
atiflash -p 0 -f -newbios newbios.bin

The_NME said:
But note that the newbios switch should be enabled so that you dont run into detections issues. So flash like this:
atiflash -p 0 -f -newbios newbios.bin
wow, really... what's that about?

i used to use flashrom and never had to do that...

Actually, I dont know if its really necessary. LordGestle at AT suggested it so thats what I've been using.
Originally Posted by LordGestle
Success!!!
I recently unlocked 16pipes on a X800PRO to an X800XT and I remember seeing something about a modified flashrom used to clear the old bios of the entire configuration. I went to the article on techpowerup and noticed there was a hidden command "-newbios" if you are using atiflash.
I was using atiflash -f -p 0 newbios. This does not flash everything and the same for winflash.
To truly flash the card you need to use atiflash -newbios -f -p 0 newbios.bin.
Instructions found here.
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...ing/vidcard/34

After that I'm now able to install drivers using the ATI CC and the card is now a true X1800XT.
Time for some benching and I will report back in this same thready.

I just got mine. Now I gotta check to see if its 1.2ns and go steal a floppy drive from another comp. Hehe

Alright, I can CONFIRM that flashing without the use of the -newbios switch will result in your card not being detected.

Furthermore, I have noticed a catch that when you flash some other BIOS (the Sapphire ones so far for me) and then want to go back, you will have to flash via WinFlash. Use a WinFlash OLDER than 1.10 (like 1.08) because the force option is not present in 1.10. Flash back your stock BIOS, reboot to DOS, and then atiflash the stock BIOS. The WinFlash does just enough to not make atiflash freak out when trying to flash some other BIOS back. Otherwise, the system will throw a disco party on your screen and freeze your comp. I see that Homer wrote up some steps, but I think I'll throw up a few tips in my thread as this has caused me a few headaches (brief though).

For my experience when I used winflash trying to flash to xt bios, the card will not be detected. When I tried to flash back to original xl bios using winflash, right when I open winflash, I get pink screen everywhere and system crashes. The only way I can flash it back, was boot into dos and use atiflash commands.

homer77 said:
For my experience when I used winflash trying to flash to xt bios, the card will not be detected. When I tried to flash back to original xl bios using winflash, right when I open winflash, I get pink screen everywhere and system crashes. The only way I can flash it back, was boot into dos and use atiflash commands.
Same for me when trying WinFlash. It makes the screen garbled because its not stable at that frequency. To use WinFlash when this is the case, I lower the clocks and then WinFlash opens without a problem.

so whata re the procedures now? since every one posted what to do and not to do and i am now confused.

is it worth to buy the x1800xl for $199 instead of a x1900xt?? would the x1800xl be a good upgrade comin from a x800xl??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back