• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How about Ryzen 5 2600X on a B350 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telepman

Registered
Hi people,
With 2600X being such a sweet deal, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to combine it with a B350 board (Asus F Gaming, Asus Prime, or MSI Tomahawk). I'd be happy if I could OC it to 4GHz on all cores (with Hyper 212 Evo), and have RAM at 3GHz. I read nice things about XFR 2, but what I can't figure out is do I need a 400 board to have XFR 2, or is it a CPU thing? And is that feature really important? B450 boards are still not available, and they'll probably be more expensive, so this looks like a good deal. What do you knowledgeable people think? :)

One thing on the B350 boards is BIOS support. The board will likely need an update before it would recognize the CPU. Other than that it would run fine. Personally if I were buying now I'd just get the updated motherboard a cheap x470 or wait for the rest of the 400 series to launch

Alright then :). I guess I can ask the guys in the shop to update the motherboard.

Alright then :). I guess I can ask the guys in the shop to update the motherboard.

It’s not just a question of if the board needs to be updated. (Any board that has been in a shop for a while will need updating) but also a case of, has the board been supported by the manufacturer.

You may need to check on the motherboard manufacturers website to see if they have released a bios update that will allow the new processors to work for the specific motherboard. Some manufacturers are better than others.

Personally if I were buying now I'd just get the updated motherboard a cheap x470 or wait for the rest of the 400 series to launch

Agree 100%. I'd wait for something like a cheap B450 to come out and combine that with the $50 Microcenter bundle discount (if it's still offered). Right now my Microcenter has zero X470 boards anyway - they ran out of them the first morning the new Ryzens came out.

It would be interesting to know how this works out in actual practice, however, since others are wondering how well the new Ryzens will perform on a first generation board. But if I were buying it new, I would certainly get a B450 motherboard. Let others be the guinea pig.

Agree 100%. I'd wait for something like a cheap B450 to come out and combine that with the $50 Microcenter bundle discount (if it's still offered). Right now my Microcenter has zero X470 boards anyway - they ran out of them the first morning the new Ryzens came out.
I live in Serbia and the prices here are a bit higher. It's good when it's 20% higher than the US, which is the case with Ryzen CPU's atm. X470 boards still not available.

I live in Serbia and the prices here are a bit higher. It's good when it's 20% higher than the US, which is the case with Ryzen CPU's atm. X470 boards still not available.

I feel your pain here in Canada. Availability usually isn't an issue but the price, compared to my neighbours not even 3 hours away by car is ridiculous. 2700X in US is $329 in Ca. it's $439

Back