• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How big a chiller do you need to make a difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That thing is a potato for your stated purpose.

Average Temperature Reduction
10 gallons: 10+°F
20 gallons: 5-8°F
30 gallons: 2-4°F

If it can only cool water, something not outputting a load so to speak, a few/several degrees.... I dont imagine it to cool a 100W+ CPU.

That said... define worth it to you? What does that mean? What are your goals? What CPU? Clocks and voltage?

Edit: 100W is 341 BTU...

Edit2: something worthwhile...https://koolance.com/liquid-cooling-system-alx-750-p400

Last edited:
not only that im betting that the heat exchanger in that device is aluminum like the heatsink is, no bueno to mix metals like that with your copper/brass radiator.

You need at least a 500w Hailea or make something yourself out of an old air conditioner to make it worth your while.

Thanks for the information. I'll keep looking. Has anyone ever seen a TEC cooler that would do the job?

I like the idea of a TEC cooler but man that looks like a lot of work. :)

You don't have to do it exactly like I did it, as long as you use the principles of the assemblies, you can design the finish product however you desire, but I've been doing this since 2011, many, many, experiments, some successful, some not, and back to the drawing board. There were 2 successful versions before 3.0 but they used way more electrical power to run, 3.0 was down to about 200w averaged electrical load per powered up time of usually 6 hours.
It is a lot of work but extremely satisfying when it all comes together and is a successful cooling solution.
Version 3.0 is not the end of my experimentation I am working on version 4.0. :)

You PMd asking me where I got my peltiers, so I'm posting the link here in case anyone else is interested.

https://customthermoelectric.com/pr...andard-tecs.html?qcmax_group=34&vmax_group=26

You can buy that cheap Chinese Knockoff crap off of Ebay or Amazon, but if you want guaranteed quality and performance, CTE is the only choice IMO.

There are many ways of cooling the hot side of the peltier I basically chose heat pipe air cooling simply because many told me it could not be done with an air cooler, well they were 1,000% wrong.

Some use water cooling to cool the hot side and you can do that, but it is going to be twice the cost of using the air cooler, and not just any air cooler can get the job done either, it has to be load matched capable.

To pull this off there is one thing you need and you cannot buy it!

Tenacity is the quality displayed by someone who just won't quit — who keeps trying until they reach their goal.

If you don't have Tenacity you'll just read a lot but never get it done. Good Luck! SS

Edit:

If you want to take the easy way out look here;

http://www.performance-pcs.com/water-chillers

Last edited:
Back