• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how did you apply your mx-4 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shant

can anyone instruct me? i can't find instructions online,i applied around 2 pea sized on my GPU and spread even layer, but i didn't see better results over the stock paste? so obviously im doing it wrong:cry:

I have never used MX-4 but most pastes have a "burn in" period after which they will perform better. Try running OCCT (or similar) over night and see if the delta drops.

Also, I have never seen it recommended to spread. You are more likely to get bubble IMO. I always put a dot (or two) centered over the die and let the pressure of the heatsink spread the paste.

I have never used MX-4 but most pastes have a "burn in" period after which they will perform better. Try running OCCT (or similar) over night and see if the delta drops.

Also, I have never seen it recommended to spread. You are more likely to get bubble IMO. I always put a dot (or two) centered over the die and let the pressure of the heatsink spread the paste.

mx-4 doesn't have burn in period, also i can't run occt over night,i don't want to fry the card as the thermal paste is not doing its job
btw forgot to mention, the heatsink is direct heatpipe, so it has like a lot of gaps on the steel, that means i have to put more paste right?

If it's a heatpipe cooler, draw a fine line between each heatpipe with the TIM. That's how i had to apply the MX-2 with my DK. Had great temps since.

awesome awesome! thanks guys! :)
ill do it today and keep you guy updated :D

ok so i applied it like this
P1030757.JPG
i still didn't see much improvements, i get 92C if occct runs a few minutes, but this time, fan had to run slower to keep it at 92C compared to last time
im using 275.33 drivers, is it possible its a driver bug?
also as soon as i stopped occt, temperature decreased from 92 to 70 in just a second, is that ok?

I would wipe away the 2 lines that are not on the heat pipes because that's is a lot Thermal compound which might be your problem too..

Yeah, thin lines. Minimally thin lines. If you put too much paste on it can do the opposite of helping it by retaining the heat
Edit: you can always try rolling the driver back just to be sure

I'm just making thin layer on cpu and it's working perfect with any cooler.

Also in agreement to only put it on the copper pipes.

Secondly it looks like those heatpipes are raised up behind the retention bracket... Do they even make direct contact with the die?

damn it!, cleaning thermal paste from direct heatpipes is a pain in the ***!
can anyone at least show me a picture of the amount? im running out of mx-4!
what about the one all the way to the left? 3 of those, 1 one each heatpipe, is that ok?

edit: this is for GPU not CPU guys, do both need the same amount of paste?
its for evga gtx460 external exhaust

P1030753.JPG

P1030755.JPG

can anyone draw a fine line with paint so i can get an idea to how much to put?

Here we go:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=5

HDT_TIM_Application_Two_Lines.jpg

HDT_TIM_Application_Two_Lines_Spread.jpg

damn it!, cleaning thermal paste from direct heatpipes is a pain in the ***!

LOL One day I was playing around with cm 212+ and a can of butane and found out that when you turn the can upside down and discard the liquid butane on the mating surface of the heatsink that will almost melt away all of the thermal compound that is left after cleaning it ... It was really cool Try it sometime.. But fully understand this highly hazard to your health and extreme dangerous and you are doing this under you own accord and understand the risk involved and I not responsible for any damages or such etc etc...

Back