• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how did you apply your mx-4 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We'll say the size of a pea, and spread it all around. Then a touch more before you seat the heatsink, again about the size of a grain of rice. A little bit goes along way

Put a bit on the HS, fill the gaps with a CC card. Scrape extra off. Then a blob larger than a grain of rice and smaller than a pea in the middle of the GPU chip. Put it on.

On non-DHP heatsinks, just a blob in the middle will do.

Put a bit on the HS, fill the gaps with a CC card. Scrape extra off. Then a blob larger than a grain of rice and smaller than a pea in the middle of the GPU chip. Put it on.

On non-DHP heatsinks, just a blob in the middle will do.
My god where was this post 40 posts ago.

+1 :thup:

/thread. :attn:

Hehe, I dunno why the thread got started to begin with. I don't see why it got so complicated too. It's kinda common sense and there are great videos and sources on the web to start with.

Well, it got started because we are that type of forum regardless if that information is elsewhere. Ooutside of that...heh, it got pretty convoluted.

Well can someone go over his house and just apply the damn thermal compound for him because this is getting ridiculous ..

LOL.. its not worth the hassle. Just follow conum's post and you will be fine enough. You arent trying to benchmark and break air records so 1-2C isnt really going to matter.

Enjoy your PC...please. :p

if im going to get 1-2C better temps with conum's method then not worth, i just want to get rid of that 90C load temps!
will get the new driver and see if that changes anything, i think its the 30C room temp causing it

ok i guess i deserve this :facepalm:
probably one of my blond momento's :( ,
anyway, will keep you guys updated when i get the new driver
is there a chance bad hardware might cause high temps?

If the mount is tight and even and you applied compound in some moderately reasonable way and you have the fans running properly and have good case airflow, you should be fine.
You're overcomplicating the thermal compound. There are 100 ways to apply it 'properly'. I spread mine evenly over the GPU with a credit card. Putting it on the heatpipes works. A rice grain works. Etc.

well is tightened the screws all the way so should be tight,i have very good airflow,i applied it in a good way (see last pic) and still i have high temps..

put a powerful house fan blowing in the case directly, got 35C idle
and under stress 81C with 2500rpm gpu fan
isn't that still high?
have changed to 280 drivers too

Last edited:
put a powerful house fan blowing in the case directly, got 35C idle
and under stress 81C with 2500rpm gpu fan
isn't that still high?
have changed to 280 drivers too

Does sound a little high, here's a guru3d review of the card with their idle/max temps. Their ambient was less but 81 degrees is certianly on the high side for any GPU especially with a custom cooler: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/13

Back