• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I block access to online games on user account?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

I have been trying to figure out how to block access on my son's account to online games. But mainly just block minecraft online. He's 8 I do not mind him surfing for mods and adventure maps but he's discovered how to get online on minecraft.

So I'm trying to figure out how to block his game so he can't play it online when i'm not looking (he's pretty slick).

I just want to block that mainly without blocking a bunch of other stuff possibly.

I'd suggest blocking it at the router level, assuming that you use a router. A quick google search shows Minecraft uses TCP port 25565. Make sure you have a high-security password on the router and, if possible, physically disable access to it so your son cannot manually re-set the router to factor settings.

You could also redirect with the HOSTS file. But do you honestly think any of this will keep him out of it in the future? ;)

You could also set up an inbound / outbound rule using the Windows Firewall w/ Advanced Security feature built into Win7, in order to block Minecraft from accessing the internet.

You could also redirect with the HOSTS file.

You could also set up an inbound / outbound rule using the Windows Firewall w/ Advanced Security feature built into Win7, in order to block Minecraft from accessing the internet.

If you decide to use either of these solutions, you'll need to verify that your son's account is not setup as an administrator. Additionally, UAC will need to be enabled.

Ahhh I remember when my pops used to do this to me.... I break into things for a living now :p

If there is a will there is a way, I would use a firewall on the PC or on the router, just block the ports or urls. A cisco 3200 has pretty good parental controls built in if your current router does not support it.

Back