• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I get 16x on my It is the Biostar TA790GX-128 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veraxtek

Registered
I am running a single Nvidia 9600GTX on this board and according to the insstruction manual, I am suppose to put the dummy card in PCIex #2 which is actually the TOP slot, and put the video card in PCIex slot #1 which is the bottom slot.

I did this, however, CPUz and GPUz are telling me that my card is running in 8x mode. In CPUz under the Mainboard tab, under graphic interface, then link width" it shows 8x, and under Max supported it says 16x.

I can't figure out how to get my single GFX card to run in 16x mode.

There are some BIOS settings, one being to disable onboard graphics which I did, but there is another that ask me to chose a certain order for GFX and it isnt explained in the manual.

Does anyone know how I can get this sigle 9600gt to run in 16x mode in the single slot?

Thanks

It is the Biostar TA790GX-128 board.

Try placing your video card in the top slot and then see what CPUZ displays for the link width.

GFX0- ... is the option you want for the graphics order with on-board video disabled.

There is also a "GFX Dual-slot" option, which may or may not need to be set - try both options.

Even after all of that you may still have a problem. IF I'm reading between the lines correctly the x16 is only going to work with an ATI card. That paddle card is probably an ATI emulator to fool the board into thinking it's in CrossFire mode (BTW - which OS are you running???). If that's true the nVidia card isn't going to work in x16 (but I could easily be wrong). I play with BIOS a LOT, what I don't play with much is video ...

I am using Vista 32.... the wierd thing is that I did set it right a few days ago and got 16x, and it was running 16x according to CPUz, then I bought some new memory, swapped it out, booted up, and it was back at 8x, when I tried setting the BIOS like I had it before, when it showed 16x, it was now at 8x... so I don't know whats going on, but the Nvidia card did work in 16x until the mobo decided to be possesed and do tis own thing....get this, I sent a support ticket to Biostar and they told me to send them the mobo "AND" my GFX card....LOL, like I can have my computer down for a month while they play with it... I can't beleive they can't figure this out with omne of their own boards.

Back