• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I lightly overclock this AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GrandPuba

Registered
I want to try and overclock this AMD Athlon XP 1600 on my other system. How do I try overclocking this a little to start? Just increase the FSB?? My other components are:

ECS K7S5A
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 7200 rpm
Kingston PC2100 DDR 256MB Ram
Gainward GeForce MX400 64MB

Currently the XP 1600 is running on 133 MHz FSB and Vcore is 1.74 Volts. I don't want to go to crazy with it...well not yet anyways! ;) Just want to see the difference and also want it to be stable!!

increase your fsb five to ten mhz one mhz at a time. Leave the vcore at default and for every 2mhz increase in the fsb, see if you can boot into windows. Once you start seeing windows reboot unexpanably or see bsod's, you know that you have to slow down the fsb a little. Keep fiddling until you get the performance increase you want wit stabilty. Since you're mainboard doesn't have very many overclocking options, this will probably be as high as you can go. Let me know if you have the option to raise the cpu's core voltage. look in your motherboard manual to find out

Have fun overclocking and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the info Sworkhard! Just one question....how exactly do I change the FSB in the BIOS? I'm using AMI bios ver 1.21.06. Do I go to the "CPU PnP" settings and try to change the CPU speed from 133/133 to something else because if I try changing those settings they only go down to 100/100 and no higher...geez can you tell I'm new at this! :rolleyes:

Oh, look into your motherboard manual. If you don't have it go to ECS's website and download it. It will tell you how to change you fsb speed.
Edit: You probably have to go as you suggested, into the cpu PNP setting but I don't know as i'm not familiar with you mainboard.
Have fun Ocing
Sworkhard

The k7s5a is not a good overclocking mobo. It has limited fsb options and no multiplier control. Your only option is to use the fsb options the board gives you. Try to increase the fsb to the next level above 133 (probably about 140 or so.) Your cpu will probably handle this ok. Next, if you are feeling bold, try the next level (if there is one.) I doubt your cpu will be able to handle this, but it is worth a try. Good luck.

Grandpubs, I'm running the same mobo (system is in my sig)
and I've got it running super stable at XP2000+ speed.

First of all, you need an o/c bios to be able to have higher fsb options. The latest o/c bios can be found here:http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=27&t=003724

The fsb options above 133/133 are 137, 143, 147, 150, 166, 200.

BBigJ, I agree that this mobo does not really offer a lot of o/c opions but it is a very stable mobo and I've been able to o/c to higher than the average overclocker using a more expensive mobo. I'm extremely happy w/ it.

maxima88 said:
Grandpubs, I'm running the same mobo (system is in my sig)
and I've got it running super stable at XP2000+ speed.

GrandPuba. sorry I called you GrandPubs:D :D :D

maxima88 said:

BBigJ, I agree that this mobo does not really offer a lot of o/c opions but it is a very stable mobo and I've been able to o/c to higher than the average overclocker using a more expensive mobo. I'm extremely happy w/ it.

I'm definitely not knocking your mobo. In fact I used a k7s5a to build a comp for a friend. With the price and performance of that board it is easy to pass up a few overclocking options.

BBigJ said:

I'm definitely not knocking your mobo. In fact I used a k7s5a to build a comp for a friend. With the price and performance of that board it is easy to pass up a few overclocking options.

I know what you mean. Didn't mean to make my reply sound that you were knocking my mobo.

I really did not know anything about overclocking until after I bought this mobo last year and set up my new pc. Bought it at a friend's recommendation (probably because it was the cheapest of all).

If I only knew then what I know now, I probably would have gotten a kt333 chipset mobo (epox 8k3a or the AsusTek A7V333 mobo).

Maxima,
You said, " I've got it running super stable at XP2000+ speed."

You meant you got it running at a speed above an XP1900 that makes your system think it is an XP2000.

Your specs say XP 1700 @ 1.65.

The XP2000 is rated at 1.67GHz

Sorry to get so technical on ya!
:)

Last edited:
Grandpuba,
If you don't want to flash your BIOS you can do it with Speedfan shareware. I liked it so much I'm paypaling the author $5.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
It is a nice little utility to set fsb and also will show the health of your Hard Drive if SMART is enabled, and show CPU temp in system tray!
It is sometimes better to walk, then jog, before you start sprinting to BIOS flashes.

Welcome Aboard!

Back