• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do RAM timings really work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

So I understand the basic principle that RAM timings dictate how many clock cycles must pass between when a CPU requests data from the RAM and when the RAM actually responds. But what I dont understand is why the RAM waits at all, why cant it react immediately? Furthermore, why is it possible to artificially force the RAM to respond faster by lowering the timing settings? Last, if we know the CPU has to wait for the RAM to respond to a request for data, why cant the CPU "work ahead" and request the data in advance to make up for the latency? I think I know the answer to the last question, but I'll wait for an explanation anyway to make sure I am correct. :)

OP, I'm sorry that your thread got all jacked up. It is now cleaned and the offender has been permanently banned for being a jerk to you. Sorry if you saw any of that. If not, carry on as though this post weren't here. :)

Back