• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do u test for max fsb? prime95 or memtest86

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd use both. Mamtest86 can be affected by chipset problems.

Generally for max FSB, I use Memtest86 first, then just use windows and see if it acts "weird". If it does, I'll raise the voltage to either the chipset or the momory and see if fixes it. Then, I'll prime for a while to make sure.

Memtest is good, but doesn't account for a lot of other errors. Memtest runs fine for me at 250 FSB, 2-2-2-11, with all the other timings tight. Unfortunately, it's not at all stable in Windows. I'd go for Prime95, or just run a lot of applications and games, etc., the stuff you normally do, and see if you still have instability problems. Sometimes Prime95 isn't stable when everything else is.

There are 3 limiting factors, for high fsb:
1.Memory
2.Chipset
3.CPU ( rare).

1 => memtest.
2 => memtest + prime
3 => prime.

So unless you know exactly your bottleneck, I'd run the 4 or them.
I mean the 2 of them twice :santa:

prime95 ram test makes my comp pretty unusable but i guess no choice

Run the middle test - in place FFT's. And using your comp while Prime95 is running defeats the purpose - it'll make everything seem more stable than it really is. I'd suggest turning it on before you go to bed, and leaving it alone until you get up.

i test both small and large FFT at the same time and i use the comp for a few hrs before i go to bed(priming or the while, izzit still better to restart? or jus let it continue?)

neop said:
which is better?

is memtest86 affected by the mobo chipset?
i prefer prime 95 because it is alot better than memory test ,espicaly the blend test
exp:i can run memory test at 237*11 for 2 hours before getting the first error
but prime blend test dont take as much time it require only 20min to fail
this why i love it.
u can also set the priority to 9-10 ,leave it for 12hours+ so if your pc survive your are 100% stable :thup:

At 250FSB, it could also be your chipset. At 1.6v chipset voltage, Memtest86 would run all day at 223FSB (CPU at 9x), but with a boot into Windows, it would freeze after about 5 min. I raised the chipset voltage to 1.7v, and no more freezes. It all depends on what is causing the error or crash. That's why you have to go slow in overclocking to make sure you catch which components that are causing the problem. After you find out, then you can correctly increase voltage or cooling to that respective component.

Chip maybe cpu is more propable.

Run the cou @ 5x223 i bet it will run prime95 all day without a problem, then go to 6x and 7 and up to 9 until you get error's. that shows its the cpu

I use memtest to check my ram's oc limit. I do this by underclocking the cpu radically but upping the memory speed/fsb (example 220 x 5). Once I determine the ram's maximum stable speed, then I use Prime95 to test cpu oc stability while maintaining the FSB determined by memtest at underclocked speeds. So if my ram maxes out a 220 fsb, I overclock by changing multiplier and keeping fsb at 220. If I start getting stability issues, I'm reasonably certain it's the cpu/chipset and not the ram.

Back