• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Far Can I OC My i5 3570K @ Stock Voltages +OCing Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ophaq

Registered
I'm looking to OC my i5 3570K sometime soon and I want to know how far I can OC it (or at least an estimate) at stock voltages (HWmonitor says the max Vcore is 1.08). I'm hoping for at least 4.3-4.4Ghz.

I have never overclocked before, so I'm not familiar with changing settings in the BIOS. I read that leaving the voltage to auto is good for some people, but has been bad for others. Also, I don't know what other options I should change in the BIOS if I do leave the voltages at stock.

My Specs Pertaining to OCing Are:
Gigabyte Z77 UD3H.
Corsair H60 (CPU runs at around roughly 29-35C at idle).
4x2 Ripjaws X memory @1600Mhz.
850 Watts Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply
Windows 7

In addition to this, my BIOS version is F17. The newest version is F18, but Gigabyte lists that whats in it doesn't relate to OCing in any way. Also, there is a beta version of the BIOS that doesn't relate to OCing in what they added as well.
I'm not comfortable with flashing my BIOS due to the risks involved. I just got my computer so I don't want to have to send it back if I screw up.

So yeah, how do I OC my i5 3570K? What options should I change in the BIOS of the UD3H? Is there any other information I missed?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Every chip is different so no real idea. I would imagine 4-4.2Ghz or so on stock voltages...again each CPU is different.

Auto tends to overvolt slightly in favor of stability so all overclocking should be with manual settings.

In my signature is a link to 4.5Ghz o/c on Sandybridge. The only difference is starting out at 1.3v instead of 1.35v. Otherwise, its really the same.

I see...thanks. The guide is very informative and helpful but I'm still somewhat confused.

Mostly the BIOS version part, voltage, and memory. If I went to 4.4Ghz, should I start at 1.30 volts in the Vcore? Also, do I need to OC the memory like it's said in the guide? I don't see how that helps any.

Id start at 1.3v for 4.4, yep.

I wouldn't worry about overclocking the memory, no. U don't recall the guide saying anything about overclocking the memory, lol!

Alright, thanks. So I'm assuming my BIOS version will be OK to OC then? I wish I had a thorough video demonstration on how to OC for my specific BIOS/motherboard with the CPU. XD

Doesn't work that way. Not all boards/cpu are created equal so they do not oc the same. As Earthdog stated not all 3570k's overclock the same. There is no "one size fit all" method.

The guide will do exactly what it's designed to do; Guide you. You have to be patient and do the work.

Enjoy ;)

Ah, I just remembered. I have some other questions if I'm going to OC my CPU at stock voltage.

1.) What happens if I set the CPU clock past what it is able to handle? Will the computer not boot up at all, not POST, what? I don't want to have to reset my CMOS because although my computer is new, I don't know what changes (if any) will occur if the BIOS is reset to stock settings (such as when my computer's SSD & HDD was installed, I don't know if it was manually or automatically on AHCI). >o<

2.) Should I turn off the power saver/extra CPU options such as C5/EIST if I am going to OC at stock voltage? I so, should I turn them back on afterwards?

3.) For the Turbo Boost feature, how high should I set that (it's currently at 3.8)? It has slightly lesser boosting on different cores like core 3 and 4 which are set to 37 and 36. Should I do the same if I start out at 4.4 or 4.3 on my clock multiplier and then set turbo boost to say, 4.3 on cores 1 & 2 and 4.2 and 4.1 on cores 3 & 4?

Well lets talk through it, shall we?

1. It will not boot or it will freeze/BSOD when using it. To which you lower the clockspeed (you should be stress testing anyway as the guide says so you will BSOD/Freeze/throw errors in Prime95). I wouldnt worry about resetting your CMOS as you are not changing anything in the bios except the CPU multiplier.

2. Test with them off, then enable after you know you are stable. There is a slim chance they can cause instabliity.

3. I dont recall the guide saying anything about turbo boost...unless that is how you want to overclock? I would think just leaving it at your target clockspeed would be best, but either way.

EDIT: By golly it does say turbo multiplier... interesting. CHoice is yours, I would make them all the same or just adjust the main multiplier.

If it doesn't boot, will I still be able to get into the BIOS and change the multiplier down? And do I really need to just change the CPU multiplier to 45?

Back