• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how good is copper for transfering heat on a Am3 cpu ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sony190

I have an old 462+ heatsink and want to see what its cooling capability is on am3 with out burning up my cpu. I have some AFb1212vHE fans too keep it cool .

I need a project to do ?
i can afford to play around with the cpu besides I dont need to change it right now since its packing 7 Mb cache

Here is and picture of the Swiftech 462+ heatsink and the stock I am using now the stock is the aluminum

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 77
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 78
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 76
Those were exceptional coolers back in the day, also great for low noise cooling. I'd be willing to bet its performance is significantly better than the crappy heat sinks AMD CPU's ship with.

Out of AMD and Intel, only Intel ships with a heat sink that I'd trust for use in a computer systme. AMD's stock heat sinks are woeful. I'm pretty certain it'll cool better. On the other hand, if it doesn't you shouldn't fry your chick anyway, it'll just restart your computer if its too hot.

You can find old 462 coolers, I collected some for fun, Thermalright SLK 800 and 900 copper heatsinks, a couple of the jet engine look, Volcano and Dream.
Even a Big Typhoon.
IF I remember my research the Zalman 7000A or B comes with 462 Mounting, though not the easiest. There are all copper and copper/aluminum versions. The Cu/Al is preferred for its lighter weight. Probably that "last/best" 462 Heatsink for 462.

Never saw the Swiftech before, looks workable.
The most dramatic improvement for most of these coolers seems to involves air flow.
Neither cases nor the fans mounted on coolers in the "old" seem intended for serious cooling.

Many old "high performance" fans are loud without acomplishing all I would like.

For AM3 Heatpipe coolers I often replace the 70mm fans with either 92mm or an 80 to 120mm adapter and 120mm fan

Any decent modern fan ( I use Arctic F9 or F12 PWM) should do very well on that heatsink. Just do not go too far, air moring too far does not seem to help.
Larger slower is best. Though 80mm are usually larger, the changes!!!

AMD's heatsink for 125/140w CPUs beats everything Intel has ever put out, save the 980x stock sink.

The all aluminum heatsinks are just as bad as Intel's SB heatsinks, which ain't real great.

I've not seen those yet. I've always upgraded AMD heat sinks as the previous Gen of chips rebooted when overheating. Now that they throttle I guess its no longer necessary

Alot of AMD stock heatsinks are trash but the one included with Black Edition CPUs is a quad heatpipe deisgn thats semi impressive. The stock HS/F for the 8120/8150 is even chunkier and I had my buddies 945 clocked @ 4.2ghz on that while benching, he ran 3.9ghz on it 24/7 for months before I got him a sctyhe zippang.

i think amd's stock heatsink are better then intel stock heatsink

when i saw my friend stock heatstink i was like wtc

amd's stock has 4 heatpipes and it is pretty good at getting rid of the heat at stock speeds and ok at a small overclock

^^^ Wow, how things change from Athlon/Phenom heatsinks to the current gen. About time they did this.

This is basically the stock AMD heatsink of now(for black edition CPUs) its been revised slightly, but good luck finding good data on the changes.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1962

Anyways this thread is awesome seeing that HS again reminds me of the good old days when staying on the bleeding edge meant a new mobo every 4 months with the same old Athlon 1400 Thunderbird. Man those were some fun times...

There's actually a review of the MCX that was posted to the front page ages ago. The important number: 0.26 C°/W with an 84 CFM fan.

Assuming you use the CPU in your sig at stock (80W TDP), you should be able to pull off a deltaT of < 20C. Your fan pushes quite a bit more air, but its hard to say how big a difference it'll make on the temps. By all means, post up data when you get it! :)

JigPu

Back