• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long before Nehalem is available and affordable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well look at it this way:

You want to spend $300 on cpu; that means more money on ddr3 and more on mobo.
hmmm

You could:
Go get a used 775 mobo for $50 and C2D 6600 for $80 and you will be set for over 1 year after which you sell those for $60 and get new set with quad core say $150 (meaning $90 as you just sold c2d and mobo for $60).

This is best way to last 7 years and be only few steps back;

Or you could spend $1k and be in step with all for 3months only.

I used to upgrade every 6 months or so, but now with 2 kids I am few steps back and its not bad.

My setup now is one I just upgraded and its this:
C2D E6600 @3Ghz on stock hsf---$80
2Gb xms2 crosair ddr2 6400-------$40
BFG 8800GT OC2 ----------------$85

Next year I will sell all this for about $120 and go Q6600, ddr3 and such

Just a thought :thup:

i am in the same boat where i am looking to upgrade my main comp ( in sig) to somethign newer and faster.

i was looking at the 940 CPU with either the DFI mobo or the Asus one.

then add in some DDR and a new PSU.

my old rig will be moved to a media server that should hold about 10TB once i get a sata card installed.

im expecting to drop about $1200 on this, with only about half that saved up right now.

i would really like to wait as long as possible for the price drops, but this P35 mobo is just ****ing me off every day. damn Asus and thier USB controller issues. have to unplug my USB devices every time i reboot!

Back