• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much Storage on X570

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In Nebulous' case, merely speculating, he was unable to run the memory at 3800MHz 1:1 and by going to 4000Mhz it kicked the FLCK ratio down to 2:1 allowing it to be stable. My system cannot run a FCLK of 1800MHz either, but given the older hardware and sketchy nature of Ryzen BIOS updates, I'm plenty happy with what it's been able to manage.

Actually I was able to achieve 4000Mhz @ 1:1 ratio (2000Mhz) with timings of 18-20-20-20, but when I try the 3800, then yes the FLCK will drop. However I get better performance @ 3600 1:1 and 16-18-18-18, so I left it there.

Actually I was able to achieve 4000Mhz @ 1:1 ratio (2000Mhz) with timings of 18-20-20-20, but when I try the 3800, then yes the FLCK will drop. However I get better performance @ 3600 1:1 and 16-18-18-18, so I left it there.

That is actually quite impressive! Might be worth lookin into whether or not mine will go that far. Not sure if the performance increase would be reral-world noticeable, but it seems like they may be.

*Edited to notice you said it runs better @ 3600, so you left it there. I wonder what is going on with that.

That is actually quite impressive! Might be worth lookin into whether or not mine will go that far. Not sure if the performance increase would be reral-world noticeable, but it seems like they may be.

*Edited to notice you said it runs better @ 3600, so you left it there. I wonder what is going on with that.

For my rig, 3600Mhz is the sweet spot for the memory. I just tightened up the timings. Thus is why I left it there ;)

At 4000Mhz, I got diminishing returns, so it wasn't worth it.

Diminishing returns is the reason I didn't feel the need to go beyond 3800, it just worked so easily I figured good enough haha.

So for a Crosshair or Strix build and Trident Z Royal memory, what would you guys recommend?

I am not an overclocker. Fast and Stable I like, Muy Bueno as we say in the US of A...

I'm thinking 3600 and maybe CAS 16?

3600 at CL 16 would be the standard x570 RAM kit. Anything beyond that, while doable, is icing on the cake so to speak.

Yep, 3600 CL14/CL16 is where you want to be (sweetspot for price to performance and effort). Set XMP and forget it. :thup:

Yep, 3600 CL14/CL16 is where you want to be (sweetspot for price to performance and effort). Set XMP and forget it. :thup:

I was reading a lot of threads and thought people were having issues running them at 3600, has the BIOS loads improved that over the last few months?

Is there any truth to NEO being better for AMD?

I was reading a lot of threads and thought people were having issues running them at 3600, has the BIOS loads improved that over the last few months?

Is there any truth to NEO being better for AMD?
With a 5900X and X570, that shouldn't be an issue. It wasn't over the last few months either AFAIK. I think all X570 boards I've reviewed worked with my RAM kit. Maybe when it launched a few years back? But with a Zen3 (5000 series) CPU and the latest BIOS that supports the chip, it likely won't be an issue.

Neo's, IIRC, are 'made' for AMD, yes. It's mostly marketing, really... as the No sticks work fine in the Intel systems I tested. If you want compatibility, look at the mobo's memory QVL list. ;)

With a 5900X and X570, that shouldn't be an issue. It wasn't over the last few months either AFAIK. I think all X570 boards I've reviewed worked with my RAM kit. Maybe when it launched a few years back? But with a Zen3 (5000 series) CPU and the latest BIOS that supports the chip, it likely won't be an issue.

Neo's, IIRC, are 'made' for AMD, yes. It's mostly marketing, really... as the No sticks work fine in the Intel systems I tested. If you want compatibility, look at the mobo's memory QVL list. ;)

Thanx! What would be the chance of getting 128GB working with that setup?

Thanx! What would be the chance of getting 128GB working with that setup?
At 3600? I'd gather not good.

You're really putting a lot of stress on the IMC populating all four slots with such a high capacity on each stick. I'd imagine it would work at 2666 or 2933, maybe 3200. Not sure if you can get that much RAM going at 3600 without significant tweaking of voltage to get there.

At 3600? I'd gather not good.

You're really putting a lot of stress on the IMC populating all four slots with such a high capacity on each stick. I'd imagine it would work at 2666 or 2933, maybe 3200. Not sure if you can get that much RAM going at 3600 without significant tweaking of voltage to get there.

If I start at 64 and later determine I need 128, could I just grab two more and turn the timings back?

This is a strange thing to me, I never had memory issues like this with Intel. Rolls off the Duck's back here in the AMD forums.

Intel has enough failings at present, that I am switching platforms, I don't really want to though... But Intel has been hitting the snooze bar for a while.

You'll have to lower the speed. It isnt a timings thing AFAIK.

You try running 128GB with intel, you'll likely face the same issue. AMD was super finicky with RAM, but the last gen or two of CPUs has really minimized it. Still, they are mkre sensitive to RAM compatibility than Intel.

Intel's new chips are really solid. IPC has caught AMD and clocks are faster. Where they lack on the mainstream platform is core/thread count. It was 10, now they went to 8. If you can use the additional cores and threads, amd is the way to go. Otherwise, it's it's toss up determined by pricepoints and needs.

You'll have to lower the speed. It isnt a timings thing AFAIK.

You try running 128GB with intel, you'll likely face the same issue. AMD was super finicky with RAM, but the last gen or two of CPUs has really minimized it. Still, they are mkre sensitive to RAM compatibility than Intel.

Intel's new chips are really solid. IPC has caught AMD and clocks are faster. Where they lack on the mainstream platform is core/thread count. It was 10, now they went to 8. If you can use the additional cores and threads, amd is the way to go. Otherwise, it's it's toss up determined by pricepoints and needs.

Not as many Lanes though, that and the core count jumped out at me.

Severely Lane Challenged in IMHO :D

Off topic: WTH is up with Power Supply prices! Holy Smokes!

Thank God I got a nice one laying around...

You can get decent prices up to about 850W, the larger ones have been horked up by crypto miners.

Yeah, anything over ~$300 is too much for a 1000W supply.
Was just checking out the Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 on the egg for ~$250. Maybe you are looking for a platinum supply, but from what I have read the platinum rating only gives significant efficiency over gold if you live in a 220V country.
Hope you find what your looking for!

Back