• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often do you change cases?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How often do you change cases?

• after 1 year

Votes: 97 12.4%
  • after 2 years

Votes: 134 17.2%
  • after 3 years

Votes: 117 15.0%
  • Over 3 years

Votes: 327 41.9%
  • less than 1 year

Votes: 44 5.6%
  • Every time a new standard comes out

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • I own a laptop

Votes: 25 3.2%
  • I change my case more often than I change underwear :)

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • Eobard eats catnip

Votes: 64 8.2%
  • Oni is a ninja

Votes: 102 13.1%

• Total voters
I voted every 3 or more years, but I guess in reality it depends on how often I would do a complete system rebuild, and If the old case fit the new build. I am currently on my 2nd case in 2 years (antec 900 1st generation) but still own the original one and its being used for sons computer. I would expect to make this one last about 3 years (following how I vote) but sometimes I would like to upgrade to something larger like the 1200. Who knows but as far as I have it set up now im fine for the time being.

I have a aluminum cube, no need to change it untill it falls apart, it give me the best air flow for an inclosed case period
(not a little crappy mini cube either)

I had the same case for 8 years. The only reason I changed it was because my old one didn't have front USB ports which was a major inconvenience since the invention of the flash drive. Also, I like having 120mm fan ports instead of 80mm fan ports. More air and quieter to boot. My current case is 3 years old.

I've been using my antec nine hundred for quite a while now. I expect it'll last me a couple more years.

After spending so much time putting a hot rod paint job on my Antec 1200, that thing ain't getting replaced for a loooooong time. Now my $20 little Rosewill case, thats another story! That poor case has been through so many LAN parties, kicked over, thrown through a table (brother picked it up,no parts in it yet, and was so angry that he basicly pile drived it through my coffee table) and has had more soda spilt on it than on myself that I am keeping it and will forever hold onto it. The sides barely slide on anymore, the reset button is missing and the front bezel is cracked and chipped to the point of no recognition. I love you wittle Rosewill!

For pretty much anything I build, the case generally outlasts the hardware.

My first major rig that I built in college, had decent hardware, but a somewhat cheap case, I changed out the case, but kept the hardware. I love my current cooler master case. I recently upgraded all of the guts inside to more current specs.

However, so long as the case is in the ATX form factor, I generally swap out the guts and keep the case. Even our old Dell cases at work have 2nd and 3rd generation ATX guts.

fed up with no room

I had some mid size cases from coolermaster and antec, and when you run just about any type of sli video card combination in a mid-tower case, its like backing a cadillac in a garage that is the size for a miata or an MG....or a cooper. I don't like it. So I got the HAF 932, and to have all that room holy crap, just what I always should have had, I don't mind the larger size, some people do.

also love the custom fan system, I love being able to take anything out of the case and replace it if necessary and do it without banging my knuckles on cramped up components or cables.

not sure if I will gut out the two haf cases I am currently using, or just buy another one, they don't cost that much and sticking with the same case makes things easier when something goes wrong later.

before these wonderful cases I'd say case upgrades and switches happens every 3 or 4 years, then I feel I wised up abit with this current set-up so I don't have to goof with the case scheme in a few years.

Well, i'v got two cases for ~50 dollars, maybe little more. I would if i got money buy cases for 300 dollars or 200 when there is new one and i like it. So i would vote change my cases when the new model (which i like) cames out. Of course if it's modded alot and i like mine like it has stickers from my parts, etc., it has special modding elements, then probally i would not. Except if i like the new case very much.

depends on if the case gets dammaged. or if i upgrade and my neeeds change..

The last case change was when i updated my system, the case was damaged (speaker fell of the shelf...hit me on the head, dented the top of the case, and cracked the side window) :( if it wasnt damaged i would of changed it as the atx case looked nakid with an matx mb and a ssd, so i changed to a smaller case.

Probably every 3-4 years. I typically buy a nice high end ~$300 case and do some custom powdercoating and just enjoy it as long as possible... :)

Now that I think of it, I've had the same case since 2002. I've swapped it's innards about 3 times, but case is still intact, except for side and top 120mm blowholes.

I recently decided it's been really good so I gave her a new paintjob. Case panels are outside drying right now.

Well, I used my first case with the first PC I built for around five years.

Now it's going on about six years since I got it and now it houses my backup PC. Used this case for 2-3 different motherboards, 5-6 different video cards, 4 different power supplies, multiple hard drives, and 7 different fans. It's a little scuffed up on the outside, but not too bad, also I've stripped out a few of the screw holes during various upgrades (darn cheap thin steel).

I think it may finally be time to replace it though, as I can't fit any of the newer, larger, video cards in it for benching (and the ones I can fit are a nightmare to get into/out of the case) and taking out any motherboards other than mATX's for any reason is an abomination. Also, only one intake and one exhaust vent (stock), though I zip-tied a fan into the unused 5.25" bays for extra airflow. And finally cable management is difficult to nearly-impossible in this small mid-tower, just not enough depth or width to hide much of anything or to fit modern hardware. This case may have been acceptable six years ago, but it's not cutting it now.

As for current case I bought it a year to a year-and-a-half ago, thinking of upgrading to something bigger though for better cooling and easier upgrade-ability.

i have never changed cases because of a build but i have had 4 major rebuilds in 4 years and have had 4 cases, just not changed at the same time as the build, just get tired of the old one lol. 3 of the cases being last year

Wow hard to answer. I buy new cases but that is for expansion. I think the oldest box I run is over 15 years old. I just gut them, mod them and paint them.

Back