• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often do you change cases?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How often do you change cases?

• after 1 year

Votes: 97 12.4%
  • after 2 years

Votes: 134 17.2%
  • after 3 years

Votes: 117 15.0%
  • Over 3 years

Votes: 327 41.9%
  • less than 1 year

Votes: 44 5.6%
  • Every time a new standard comes out

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • I own a laptop

Votes: 25 3.2%
  • I change my case more often than I change underwear :)

Votes: 43 5.5%
  • Eobard eats catnip

Votes: 64 8.2%
  • Oni is a ninja

Votes: 102 13.1%

• Total voters
I've only ever been given (two) cases as gifts, never bought one for myself. Might be presumptous to say when the next one is coming ;)

I'm on my 2nd case in 6 years. Old case (Chieftec Dragon) was too small for my watercooling plans. So I invested in an Antec P180B. Modded it for W/C, so if i decide to return to air, I may need to return to the dragon. Or just buy a new one.

I got a coolermaster 690 a few months ago, Very nice case, I bought one of the Rocketfish cases at bestbuy yesterday, Didn't really need, It was just such a good deal I had to try it, So I changed everything out today. My wifes rig is in a CM 330 Elite, Tomorrow her's will be in the 690.

I'm on the same case that I had when I first built my computer, this really cheap thing I got on eBay. The front panel has completely fallen off, and I used to have a plexiglass side for it, but I decided to take that off. It started getting really loud this year whenever a hard drive spun up, so I reinforced some stuff inside with 3/4" melamine (closet and cabinet wood material), and made a new face for it out of melamine as well. I bought the case when I was a sophomore in high school, so it's....6 years old now?

I buy a new case when I'm doing a completely new build, otherwise I try to keep what I have if it's still in decent condition. I have a three year old antec-clone tower currently awaiting a quad build (just need a mobo and proc), it originally housed my A64...very roomy case, lots of cooling, and a dream to work with - it's a heavy beast, but solid, I won't get rid of it unless I have to.

I try and keep my chassis exchanging to a minimum. The key is to find a case with easy access, spaciousness, and future upgradability.

Perfect example:

bix_1.jpg

OMG, does that actualy work? Well, safely anyhow?

Been four years since I got my CoolerMaster Wavemaster. Still the best looking case out there IMHO and I've got no intention of getting rid of it.

Wow 3 months! I bought a CM centurion 532 with my new build this summer, but then bought the CM 690 when it came out this winter. That was the fastest I've ever switched out a case. The 690 was just so tempting that I couldn't resist. I really liked the 532 though. Now my parents have it :) I'd really like to get my hands on a CM cosmos or the new 590. I love CM cases, can you tell?

i have been using the same case for about 5 years, i dont plan on dumping it because its the first case i have ever owned where there is acually distance between the top of the mobo and the bottom of the PSU

I am on my 2nd build in my Antec P180 , its a great case <3

Bought it in 2005 and will prolly use it for my next build in a year or two.

I change my main's case roughly every 2 years when the old one starts to look old and worn or if I'm plain tired of old look and spotted a nice snazzy case to replace with.

I'd do it more often but it's a pain in the butt to take out 5,000 screws to completely dismantly an existing main PC, re-route all the cables in the new PC to hide them and make it look nice (and help airflow), get my flinger sliced on those metal edges, etc.

Hmmm anyone considering class action lawsuit against the generic no name case manufactures for selling unsafe cases with sharp edges and no warning about it? I figure they all owe me about $10 worth of band-aids :D

Back