• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Become a Benching Team Member

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cheers for the tip Matt. At 4.5GHz I tried 1.5v QPI and 1.5v CPU and every time it crashed on the CPU test in 3Dmark06... it wasn't until I upped both voltages to 1.6 and lowered bclk to 212 for 4.45GHz that I could get through the benchmark. I started from about 1.475v and it took HOURS to get through Mark06 just once lol.

It's not a good CPU at all and the IMC sucks... 4GHz is doable at 1.28v but I need 1.425 VTT/QPI to get my memory stable. A tiny increas in bclk or CPU clock needs a huge boost in both voltages.

That chip could potentially be a Gem subzero Lenny ;)

My 920 LOVED Vtt, some of them absolutely hate it. If you find the sweet spot, doors will open. Matt is definitely right... brute force does not work like it used to. What cooler are you currently using?

Maybe we should take this discussion to another thread, as to not litter the "How to become a member thread". Start a thread and we can go over settings. If you want benching speed advice, it's ok to put it in the benching subforum... if you want the forbidden S word, I'd ask out in the Intel CPU subforum ;)

Thanks nzaneb - I'm using a copper TRUE with MX-2 & Delta FFB1212EHE for benching (temps are insanely low for 1.6v lol) :D

I tested this CPU extensively on my Foxconn Bloodrage (before I fried it) and at 4.2GHz it wanted near enough 1.5 VTT to get my Dominator 2000MHz kit stable at rated speed. The CPU itself needed 1.4v for that frequency, so it definitely likes the volts.

Will make a new thread! :thup:

when you submit to HWbot on seconds ( for score ) dont fill in all the times just the seconds , example the H and M stay blank if you place a 0 hwbot has trouble processing it , so just do this H M S 5.936 not H 0 M 0 S 05.936

just a small tip :)

Way to go.:clap:

Points, boints, I'm obsessed, addicted, Oh nO!!!:-/ I know others are. Saw somewhere on hwbot, an addictions page or something. Good thing I have no organic so:( Actually, gives me something to do besides work, did I say that?

SuperPi Pentium 4 'D' 920 ranking: ranked 20th with 0.1 points

Top 20 :rock::cry::rofl:

On a more serious note, what settings are you supposed to use with pifast? I looked around quickly and didn't seem to find anything. Nevermind, ran the batch file instead of the exe and all is well.

Last edited:
Yup, just run the batch file :D

The addictive qualities of benching are staggering, aren't they?

Yup, just run the batch file :D

The addictive qualities of benching are staggering, aren't they?

You could say that. I've spent the better part of my day working on getting all the tests running and just getting in some baseline runs with how my system is now. I like that they keep a log of all the submissions, helps to see the relationship between the changes made, and their results. I've got 0.7 points already :p

I am having trouble getting 3dMark03, and PCMark05 to run, but hopefully I can figure something out.

Never had a problem with 3D03. For PC05 you'll need Windows Media Encoder 9 installed and Internet Explorer as your default browser.

Looks like I might have some bigger problems, not sure what though. Rebooted and couldn't get into windows, recovery disk didn't see the install and had to reinstall. Back up but things are running at a crawl so I have to back up a few things and see if I can track down where the problem is. I was on a roll too!

Thats why you use a drive for just benching. That way you can wipe it if you corrupt windows

how much pci3 to kill it, or was it ram speed timings

Heh, and now Im having trouble even installing my bench OS's on my bench drive. WTF. I wonder if it cant handle AHCI and thats why...

Whats odd when I try the vista install, it sees the drive but says it cannot install to it. When I try with XP, it doesnt even find the drive I dont think.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Joe, are you on a p55 board or h55? i had issue there also

X58. FTW3.

I was last time I set up that those benching OS's was on P55 though and it worked flawlessly. Im confident its just the AHCI vs IDE as its an older drive...

Back