• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Become a Benching Team Member

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hokie, I have done that successfully, but dont usually

Oh, I don't; I always fresh install. Since I have two SSDs, I just clone one system over to a regular HDD and do a fresh-from-USB-key install to SSD. Takes 30min, max. I was just curious if others did. Wouldn't that have a negative score impact, or is that just unproven supposition from what people have told me over the years?

I have never personally tested it. The issue is with the HAL and the drivers and any garbage that may be leftover. I suppose in theory it could affect the benches but Im just not certain.

XP can actually save you from that issue by doing a sysprep before taking it down from one system to the other. I never got Win7 to successfully sysprep, though I only tried once just after its release. Never tried Vista.

I've moved my benching OS between a few mobos, it worked well enough.
These days I usually reinstall (maybe because i keep killing the installs....)

My benching XP bluescreens on install if i use AHCI, i have to set it to IDE.

I killed my last one trying to insane memory clocks for maxxmem. Got a decent run(1493), massaged timings a little to shoot for 1500, and then murdered the os. Oh well.

how much pci3 to kill it, or was it ram speed timings

Definitely ram. I was switching between low and tight, to high bandwidth... and accidentally left my tight timings in place. Surprisingly enough it made it into windows and half way through a bench before I noticed, lol. It was pretty much FUBAR after the subsequent BSOD :D

Thobel, I noticed something quite odd about your Wprime runs.

You forgot to click the advanced settings button and change the number of threads from 1 to 6. ;)

That'll get you a few more boints.

Thobel, I noticed something quite odd about your Wprime runs.

You forgot to click the advanced settings button and change the number of threads from 1 to 6. ;)

That'll get you a few more boints.

opps fixed thanks :)

Any pointers you can give on more points? Do I bench every pc in the house? Do I rerun the benches with different settings?

Oh definitely. If you can get those last mhz out of your gpu's or your cpu's, by all means, rerun the benchmarks and submit again. If you look on my hwbot page, I've got 4-5 submissions for just about all of my hardware because I go back and tweak to get a better score.

Oh definitely. If you can get those last mhz out of your gpu's or your cpu's, by all means, rerun the benchmarks and submit again. If you look on my hwbot page, I've got 4-5 submissions for just about all of my hardware because I go back and tweak to get a better score.

So is that how people get so many points running the same benches alot? Do you get points for each submission? or only one thats higher then the last one?

12 threads for a 980x, that'll shorten the run time rather dramatically.

Most of us on the team have benched multiple sets of hardware, that's where the mass boints come from.

There are two types, "Global" boints, which you get for being one of the fastest people to run a given benchmark, and "Hardware" boints, which you get for being one of the fastest people to run a given benchmark on a given piece of hardware.

12 threads for a 980x, that'll shorten the run time rather dramatically.

Most of us on the team have benched multiple sets of hardware, that's where the mass boints come from.

There are two types, "Global" boints, which you get for being one of the fastest people to run a given benchmark, and "Hardware" boints, which you get for being one of the fastest people to run a given benchmark on a given piece of hardware.

thanks again reram with 12 threads giant improvment :)

It was late and I was tired but I swear I lost like 10 points overnight.. How do I see how/why i lost points?

Back