• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make a Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup ISO with all updates up to 2016

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That line is important and can easily be overlooked by users in a hurry.
They definitely need to be triple alerted to making sure that the word ULTIMATE is changed if their Windows 7 is not the ultimate version of Windows 7.
Explaining the mounting process may contribute to them skipping over that important word, it might get lost in unnecessary extra explanations.

But certainly something of the type you did before "Hear Ye" etc. so they don't just copy-paste the entire line - unless they also have Windows 7 Ultimate. So the intro should accentuate they change that word if needed.

But I would like a descriptor for what that command is accomplishing. The other steps already have a descriptor.

I added a "heads up" to step #1 in the building process:

Dism /Mount-WIM /WimFile:C:\Win7SP1ISO\sources\install.wim /Name:"Windows 7 ULTIMATE" /MountDir:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline

Heads UP! If you are using a different windows version than ULTIMATE, make sure you have changed the product name. Windows Home Premium should be rendered as one word, “HOMEPREMIUM.”

This will be included in a version 7 of my .docx.

Last edited:
After some editing to clarify a couple of things and make the wording more efficient:

Attachments

• Broken No More (trents_revision_7).zip
    64.8 KB · Views: 15
Sure, we are mounting the offline Windows image there and establishing the name of the Windows 7 edition in the image. That can be reworded but that is what we are doing there.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Broken No More (trents_revision_8).zip
    64.8 KB · Views: 69
I really like what you've done with the guide. It looks good. If I have it in me I'll shorten mine up and just throw the steps down if you guys decide you want to use it. I got really burnt out on this and other things... as you probably can see else where on the forums I've been dealing with some other issues this week that just needed more attention.

The only thing I have to question in the guide is "Now here this! Now here this!" - do you mean "Now hear this!"? instead? Or do you have it as intended?

Nope. They're typos. I'll correct that when I can access my computer. We're having flooring installed today so I' m exiled from the house right now. Typed this from phone.

Attachments

• Broken No More (trents_revision_9).zip
    64.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Yes. All the links in that article are purple to me so I must have stumbled upon it at one point. Pretty sure one of those updates is the June Roll Up.

--edit--

Yep, 605 and 608 are June and July Roll Ups.

Yeah, the article looks pretty much the same from when I read it. No new information there as far as I have noticed.

Doesn't seem like a very good approach to this issue. He is assuming you're updates are failing at a much further along point that what we have addressed in this thread.

Gah! Im running into a wrinkle here gents. Here is the issue: Ive got several ISO files with varying contents but they all report the same number of missing updates!

ISO 1) Initial ISO made from instructions in OP without the May,July,August,September addins

ISO 2) Win7 Universal Install ISO made over a year ago --contains no form of convenience rollup

ISO 3) ISO 2 slipstreamed with the method outlined in the OP using both x64 and x86 updates

the issue is this: with all 3 ISO files installed to a virtual machine, I count the same number of updates missing from each machine. I used something called Belarc security advisor (which I frankly take with a grain of salt but seems to provide good info about the system) which shows available info about the system HDD , ODD etc. I can accept that I may have botched the install of the rollup on the universal install because it is more complicated and Im not real confident with what I am doing, but ISO 1 was made following the instructions EXACTLY and is hopefully a functional copy (minus May-September)

PS: Update does seem to be broken but I know there was a fix for that in the thread, I just havent gotten past the initial phase of comparing the 3 different ISO files.

We claim nothing for the slipstream method outlined in this thread except that it will get all the updates you need or want and it will fix the broken updater. Please realize that after using the slipstream method outline in this thread you still will need to manually check for remaining updates after installation. It doesn't get them all and many remain - but also many many less than the total available since SP1 was released.

Last edited:
When you go to Windows Update and select an individual update, that update shows up individually, and registered accordingly on your machine.

But what we did here are not individual updates but Microsoft's *collection* of updates, and most importantly we included the fix for Windows Updater itself, which as we found out the hard way, is broken for most if not all fresh installs, out of the box.

So the only the way to measure the merits of the end result here is to take a stop watch and time how long it takes you to be fully updated *after* installing the .iso as instructed here.
As opposed to doing anything else, which will take a whole lot longer. Hours or days longer.

Thank you for posting actually, because we really need to clarify the thread title and the concept of what it means to include everything... and do so at the very beginning...
We only include the collection of updates as released by Microsoft - no machine in the world will be fully updated after the entire collection is installed.
Individual updates remain, and the only way to look at this is like this: we get you A LOT closer to the goal of being fully updated.
You actually cannot be fully updated offline after you install the Microsoft's update collections, even if you include all of them, which we did, we included the September 2016 roll-up, released just a week or so ago. You machine is really is as updated as it can get with what Microsoft is releasing for offline installations as far as non-individual updates go but rather a collection of updates go...

Last edited:
We claim nothing for the slipstream method outlined in this thread

I didn't mean to imply otherwise. The point I was driving at was that an ISO that is untouched by the rollup is calling for the same number of updates as one that is completely fixed as well as one that is using the original instructions from the OP (by that I mean rollup included but not the May/July /August /September addendum) . 3 differing levels of rollups are installed but all still list the same number of missing updates? It seems there is something I am missing here.
I will investigate further later, as perhaps it is coincidence and all 3 ISOs call for different updates or some other thing I haven't thought of yet.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise. The point I was driving at was that an ISO that is untouched by the rollup is calling for the same number of updates as one that is completely fixed as well as one that is using the original instructions from the OP (by that I mean rollup included but not the May/July /August /September addendum) . 3 differing levels of rollups are installed but all still list the same number of missing updates? It seems there is something I am missing here.
I will investigate further later, as perhaps it is coincidence and all 3 ISOs call for different updates or some other thing I haven't thought of yet.

Edit : in the AM I will rebuild the ISO with a standard (untouched non universal) image to compare my results with, I will report back the results either way.

I wouldn't use Belarc advisor to verify iso updates needed.

Well Im not real gung-ho about it myself but it does seem to be trustworthy (quick search didnt return any negative reviews or complaints anyway) and it seems to do the job. It lists my main rig as up-to-date (and it should be because its been in service since long before the Updater broke). I am not saying to rely on it completely, just that I can/do use it for quick checks and what I found in using it. Im not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just trying to make sure that I dont flub anything along the way :)

Edit: I am sorry for the double post earlier, I was on mobile and hit the wrong button. I had simply meant to add an edit to the above post

ANother Edit: I remade the ISO like I had said earlier and now have ISO 4 (completely started from scratch remade Windows 7 professional , not from the universal install disc, followed instructions in the OP to the letter) and as promised have a working Windows Update with a reasonable amount of updates to accomplish. Thanks guys :)
My goal now that I have a true blue working copy is to head back into DISM and see if I cant get my other install disc working correctly. Since ISOs 1,2 and 3 all have broken updaters there is no way for me see which of them is furthest along (or if any has faulty slipstreaming) so I will just have to restart with that side project. Thanks again for all the hard work guys

Last edited:
Accurate test:

• Install test .iso 1, immediately go to Windows Update, take a screen shot of what comes up as still needing to be updated.
Format.
• Install test .iso 2, immediately go to Windows Update, take a screen shot of what comes up as still needing to be updated.

The .iso that includes all rollups up until the latest one in September 2016, will need less. A lot less. And will be updated the quickest.

There is nothing more or less to this entire topic... ;)

Whatever registers as actually being installed depends on many factors.
The *only* 100% accurate and really relevant benchmark, is Windows 7 Update engine itself - it will directly show you what you still need and by definition, what you have or have not already installed! :)

Another way to test this is:

1. Install .iso 1, install all available updates and then count the number of updates that show up in the Wndows Update history.
2. Install .iso 2, install all available updates and count the number of updates that show up in the Windows Update history.

Since the slipstreamed updates won't be in the list, the .iso with the most updates slipstreamed into the build should show fewer added updates.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for posting actually, because we really need to clarify the thread title and the concept of what it means to include everything... and do so at the very beginning...
We only include the collection of updates as released by Microsoft - no machine in the world will be fully updated after the entire collection is installed.
Individual updates remain, and the only way to look at this is like this: we get you A LOT closer to the goal of being fully updated.
You actually cannot be fully updated offline after you install the Microsoft's update collections, even if you include all of them, which we did, we included the September 2016 roll-up, released just a week or so ago. You machine is really is as updated as it can get with what Microsoft is releasing for offline installations as far as non-individual updates go but rather a collection of updates go...

c6, as per your suggestion I added a section to the intro of my .docx entitled: "What the fix does not do."

Attachments

• Broken No More (trents_revision_10).zip
    65.4 KB · Views: 16
Back