• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How well does your Opteron overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How far does your Opteron overclock?

• Single Core 1.8 GHz - 2.2 GHz

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Single Core 2.2GHz - 2.6 GHz

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Single Core 2.6 GHz - 3.0 GHz

Votes: 131 18.6%
  • Single Core > 3.0 GHz

Votes: 69 9.8%
  • Dual Core 1.8 GHz - 2.2 GHz

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Dual Core 2.2 GHz - 2.6 GHz

Votes: 77 11.0%
  • Dual Core 2.6 GHz - 3.0 GHz

Votes: 222 31.6%
  • Dual Core > 3.0 GHz

Votes: 55 7.8%
  • Let us break David's legs !

Votes: 107 15.2%

• Total voters
I have been able to get my Opteron 170 up to 2.85GHZ with the Patriot RAM at 3-4-3-7 and some other tweeking as well. Runs great temps are 28 idel and fully loaded for 8 hours Prime 95 at 44c !

CPU Type: 144 Retail (tt bigwater 120
Stepping: not sure dont wanna pull th eblock to find out
Best Stable OC: 2.7Ghz for months now
VCore: 1.45V
Temps: i'll check havent paid attention once i was sure it was clear below 50 at load is all im sure about

i hit a wall w/ my ram at 150/300 mhz (100mhz in bios) just cant seem to break that, but my timmings are xtremely tight at 2-2-2-5 1t loosening them didnt help - using a64 tweak i can hit 196/392 (117 divider) but i cant boot to it, have to load after boot

i did get a different psu thought my cheapy might have been starving the system, havent really tried to tweak it since then to see if i can get any more out of it, and i havent gotten around to putting my apogee on yet

Last edited:
Liquid3D said:
I'm looking for info on the Opteron Santa Ana Core 1212 or 1214 for Am2 sockets? Anybody?
From what I hear they are realy sweet and very fast too.

Now that's good news because a Santa Ana 1216 is en route weeee :)

people suggested I remain with an 3800 X2 because it does 300FSB +, which is great, but thre's something about the Opteron I just like too much. It's that feeling your going to "Serve Up" the competition hehe.

Opteron 170, CCB1E 0609

24/7 Stable at 2800Mhz, 280Mhz HTT, 10 multi, DDR300 divider, 1.5v 41/31 idle, 48/38 load. I know - Core 0 is a lot hotter. bad heatspreader probably. Too scared to pop the lid though.

No support from anybody except DFI on the AM2 socket Opteron's 1000 series. Absolutely insane! I am in fact irate they have produced thousands of CPU's and no board maker will do the work (BIOS) to support them? I eman simply from a financial standpoint they look to sell a great deal of mobo's if they supported that chip? There are still die hard Optie lovers who waited for this chip which of course supports DDRII but now we site twiddling our twizzlers and watch as about three people on the Planet have fun with their DFI boards. From now on I stick to DFI but I totally forgot they made a 590 board when i got the dang M2N32-SLI Dlx

Are their arthictecture really so different that they cannot be run on the current AM2 590 boards? I guess not if DFI has done this with what looks to be tewo models. But I can't buy the DFI
1.) because of money
2.) because it's my testbed which must remain consistant

I thought the Santa Ana would be my last change for awhile and I'd have a failry long-term watercooling and other hardware testbed, now KAPUTZ

Please help me? Somone write me a BIOS I'll pay you......

I don't know if i should click the poll just yet. My Opteron 170 will get to 2800mhz (295x9.5, can't use 10x above fsb of 267 for some reason) @ 1.4v, but I can't seem to get it to go any higher. Idle temps are low, but I also don't have very high speed fans, in fact, they're all low speed, so, cooling isn't as good as it could be, so my load temps get to 50C as monitored by CORE temp. I'm debating removing the IHS to get the system to go higher, but no matter what vcore I try, it's still unstable in windows, like windows crashes unstable.

CPU Type: OPTERON 148
Stepping: CABYE (0540)
Best Stable OC: 3014Mhz
VCore: 1.45v
Temps: Idle/Load: 36/47

(CABYE 148) CPUmax= 3.01Mhz @ 1.45v

I enjoy 2.95Mhz @ 1.4v for gaming and video editing

I like 2.88Mhz @ 1.35v for allnight running thru the week (email, surf, etc.)

Last edited:
ryboto said:
I don't know if i should click the poll just yet. My Opteron 170 will get to 2800mhz (295x9.5, can't use 10x above fsb of 267 for some reason) @ 1.4v, but I can't seem to get it to go any higher. Idle temps are low, but I also don't have very high speed fans, in fact, they're all low speed, so, cooling isn't as good as it could be, so my load temps get to 50C as monitored by CORE temp. I'm debating removing the IHS to get the system to go higher, but no matter what vcore I try, it's still unstable in windows, like windows crashes unstable.

Don't remove your IHS, trust me it's not worth it. The most your going to see is a 3C ~ 7C and that is going to depend on how well you lap your heatsink base. Even in a absolute perfect world your heatsink cannot cool your processor below the ambient internal case temp. Lets say the case temp is 44C that's going to be the lowest even the very best heatsink made might come close to.

Once yopu remove that IHS you run a risk of damaging the core every time you mount your HSF, and with the weight of aftermarkte coolers plus the additional leverage when you take inot account a tower cooler your in trouble.

The best mnove you can make is to install oolers today your better off leaving it on. You simply have to consider getting an H20 system such as the Corsair Nautilus 500. This is an external system at a great deal at $149, easy to install and versatile. The point is for $150 you'll see an immediate 20C drop in temps at LOAD, and heat will no longer be an obstacle in overclocking unless your overvolting heavily to acheive those speeds. The best part is you'll have it for several years and at the worst would have to purchase a mounting kit for AM3 down the road. Intel looks to be staying with 775 until 2008 could it be longer?

Anyhoo from the screenshot below I've taken using Overclocked CPU Wattage Calculator with data taken from the Processor Electrical Database your processor dissipates 165W. Rasing the multiplier places the burden on the core as opposed to the memory controller which is why you can't raise the multipler and overclock to the same frequency.

Attachments

• Opteron170at2800.jpg
    Opteron170at2800.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 669
Well, guys, I'm gonna update this by the end of the week. I have a new Opty to play with (see sig) . (Talk about self serving incentives to keep this updated!) :D

Liquid3D said:
Don't remove your IHS, trust me it's not worth it. The most your going to see is a 3C ~ 7C and that is going to depend on how well you lap your heatsink base.

Anyhoo from the screenshot below I've taken using Overclocked CPU Wattage Calculator with data taken from the Processor Electrical Database your processor dissipates 165W. Rasing the multiplier places the burden on the core as opposed to the memory controller which is why you can't raise the multipler and overclock to the same frequency.

The majority of the guys over at overclock.net have had great success in overclocking and reducing temps when they removed the IHS. One of them uses an air cooler, like my zalman, a TT big typhoon. I'd consider water cooling if I and the money, and if it was more convenient(external and requires space to dissipate heat)

I used the calculator thing, the only differences I changed were the ambient case temps, mine are low-mid 30's, and my cpu's TDP is 85W at stock speeds. Brought me to a overclocked cpu power usage of 127W, although, I still find that a bit much, considering the FX62's TDP is 125W with the same architecture and vcore..., I don't take those calculators seriously.

The two temp figures only effect the C/W rating.

Unless the Processor Elec. Spec Sheet is wrong your CPU is 110W.

I'm still willing to bet no one at that site gained anything more then 7C simply from removing the IHS? This wouldn't include lapping the HSF or core, or changing the HSF of course. All things remaining equal IMHO -7C would be it? But I could be wrong. Then again if temps were measured a day apart or from day to night, there goes an accurate comparison.

I'm also willing to bet most people removing their IHS don't even realize during the process of removing the CPU and then re-installing it they are probably beuing much more careful hownthey apply the thermal paste and probably clean their cooler in the process, thereby dropping temps just from doing that.

Ambient room temp effects ambeint case temp, which effects CPU temp. The Nautilus only requires about 7" tall and 10" deep and fits on top of all cases. Well I have a few pieces of water-cooling hardware I may be able to donate if you think you want to try it, But I can also understand just wanting to try something. No one could talk me out of taking the IHS off my CPU. I only say iot because it voids the warranbty, but if you have a OEM or think you can get it off without damaing it go for it. I found the safeest way is to use very strong string and slip it under the corner and use it like a saw blade. But I usually got frustrated and thne use a small screw driver.

Attachments

• Optie170_OC_wattageCalc.jpg
    Optie170_OC_wattageCalc.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:
The one thing that had me interested was that one user had to have 1.58vcore to reach 3ghz on air. When he removed his IHS, he was able to drop to 1.53vcore. If I can achieve the same results, it would be worth it.

CPU Type: Opteron 170
Stepping: CBBEE 0617
Best Stable OC: 2850
VCore: 1.36
Temps: Idle/Load 22/35 , 47/53

10 hour+ dual prime stable

The idle temp. of core 0 seems unrealistic to me, maybe coretemp is flawed?

dan

Dan0512 said:
CPU Type: Opteron 170
Stepping: CBBEE 0617
Best Stable OC: 2850
VCore: 1.36
Temps: Idle/Load 22/35 , 47/53

10 hour+ dual prime stable

The idle temp. of core 0 seems unrealistic to me, maybe coretemp is flawed?

dan
If you read through the CoreTemp thread The Coolest talks about the accuracy of the on-die sensors - ±10°C I think it was. Probably why AMD never released anything official about them. Still looks a little high, though, even at that ...

CPU Type: Opteron 165
Stepping: CCBWE 0604TPMW
Best Stable OC: 2700 (testing in Orthos now but I expect no problems)
VCore: 1.472
Temps: Idle/Load 21/18 , 31/27

Just popped off the IHS and put it under water (Storm). I had it booting and running tests at 2790 but Orthos did not like it. I backed it down to 2700 and decided to do a little burn in.

Before water I could get 2610 tops at 50-53 on both cores, 1.504vcore. I could probably run it at 2700 now with 1.4 if I really wanted, but I didn't step it down from my 310HTT run.

Whats the max vcore these things can take? I would LOVE to hit 333HTT (if my mobo will take it). Not worried about temps anymore. :attn: Thanks.

Back