• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How well does your Opteron overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How far does your Opteron overclock?

• Single Core 1.8 GHz - 2.2 GHz

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Single Core 2.2GHz - 2.6 GHz

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Single Core 2.6 GHz - 3.0 GHz

Votes: 131 18.6%
  • Single Core > 3.0 GHz

Votes: 69 9.8%
  • Dual Core 1.8 GHz - 2.2 GHz

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Dual Core 2.2 GHz - 2.6 GHz

Votes: 77 11.0%
  • Dual Core 2.6 GHz - 3.0 GHz

Votes: 222 31.6%
  • Dual Core > 3.0 GHz

Votes: 55 7.8%
  • Let us break David's legs !

Votes: 107 15.2%

• Total voters
CPU Type: Opteron 170
Stepping: CCBEE 0615 DPMW
Best Stable OC: 2850
VCore: 1.425
Temps: Idle/Load 30/51, both cores within 2 degrees of each other

I just noticed this thread again. Since my first post 1 year ago my same Opty 170 has gone from a maximum of 2750mhz to putting it on water to ripping the IHS off to switching to the Killer DFI lanparty with it's super stable vcore (helped my oc noticably) to my most recent best waterblock mount to date and dozens of failed/passed burn-in's (which I'm not sure helped or not) to what I can now game at (2990 to 3018 mhz). I've only been stable with burn in at 3ghz but as the weather keeps getting colder I've noticed I'm getting a dual burn even at 3030 for an 1/2 hour or so. I know that's not considered stable but it's just 30-40 mhz higher than it's tested known stability on my system. I expected this chip to degrade given all the testing I've put it through but yet I keep getting more performance out of it.

CPU Type: Opteron 165 (dual-core)
Stepping: CCBBE 0617
Best Stable OC: 2806
VCore: 1.4V
Temps: 30/55ish

Air cooling, Gigabyte G-Power. Would prolly go higher but mobo is show-stopper with 320 HTT :|

Here.

CPU Type: Opteron 185
Stepping: CCB1E 0606VPMW
Current OC: 2900
VCore: Stock
Temps: 34c Idle /49c Load
Cooling: Big Typhoon VX
Ram settings: 2-3-2-6 1T 1:1

kimochii72 said:
I just noticed this thread again. Since my first post 1 year ago my same Opty 170 has gone from a maximum of 2750mhz to putting it on water to ripping the IHS off to switching to the Killer DFI lanparty with it's super stable vcore (helped my oc noticably) to my most recent best waterblock mount to date and dozens of failed/passed burn-in's (which I'm not sure helped or not) to what I can now game at (2990 to 3018 mhz). I've only been stable with burn in at 3ghz but as the weather keeps getting colder I've noticed I'm getting a dual burn even at 3030 for an 1/2 hour or so. I know that's not considered stable but it's just 30-40 mhz higher than it's tested known stability on my system. I expected this chip to degrade given all the testing I've put it through but yet I keep getting more performance out of it.

Stability is a difficult value to quantify, which is why qualify their staments with comments such as "ORTHOS stable" , PRIME95 stable (really Orthos I think), "CPU Burn Stable" etc. rarely does your CPU work that hard and I think stable sould be a multi application with intensive 3D marks and for Opteron memory since the memory controller is on-die. If the same program can be used to test and AMD withit's on-die MC and an Intel without that test is simply too gemeric. I've found where the AMD fails quite often is in memory related applications.

My point is, if you play your most demanding game while Windows Explorer is on in the background, that's stable for "you". When you run some burn-in programs what your really doing is simply forcing the core to disissipate more wattage. The question then remains, are you testing your cooler, or your CPU's ability to run heavy loads? There's no substituition for the "real world" and I get the point these burn in programs push a processor beyond what "real world" daily computing would exact on the processor, therefore if you can pass these tests it's "real world stable."

Max OC for my chip

As I posted above, I was currently testing stability at 2700 (300x9) at 1.472v. I'm water cooled so temps are great. It passed 22+ hours of Orthos before I decided it was good enough for me. I've been using it at 2700 since with no problems.

So I did the next logical thing. I went for 305x9 (2745) and it passes SuperPi but crapped out in Orthos almost immediately. Resumed just to check and the other core crapped out. Upped the voltage 1 notch...same thing. Upped it 2 notches...same thing. I think I tried as high as 1.58v or something in CPU-Z and didn't have any luck.

After that I dropped the voltage down 1 notch below 1.472v and tried to run it at 300x9. Orthos crapped out. Seems like [email protected] is all this chip will do. :(

Any advice? Just to prevent the obvious, I did keep the LTD at 3x and memory never exceeded stock timings/frequency (200mhz and 2-3-2-5 on 2/3 divider). I was hoping to get 333x9 due to my water setup, but all it got me was an extra 140mhz over the previously stable 2565.

satandole666 said:
Any advice? Just to prevent the obvious, I did keep the LTD at 3x and memory never exceeded stock timings/frequency (200mhz and 2-3-2-5 on 2/3 divider). I was hoping to get 333x9 due to my water setup, but all it got me was an extra 140mhz over the previously stable 2565.

Did you test the max HTT your mobo supports with a lower CPU multi? Mine doesn't want to go over 320 MHz and for comparison, some crappy board I have at work wont go over 270 MHz :)

Alseyn said:
Did you test the max HTT your mobo supports with a lower CPU multi? Mine doesn't want to go over 320 MHz and for comparison, some crappy board I have at work wont go over 270 MHz :)

I hadn't gone for the max HTT yet. Great idea (and an obvious one).

It seemed to work at 305 and 310 HTT just fine. Passed SuperPi and ran Orthos for a little while.

I went for the gold and set the HTT to 335. Sure enough it booted...I'm running Orthos in the background as I type this. It also passed SuperPi before I turned Orthos on.

If it isn't the HTT limiting my system...does that mean my chip is topped out at 300x9?

kimochii72 said:
Increase your cas 0.5 or 1.0 and see if it helps.

Even though the memory is at stock speeds/voltage?

The question is moot though. I just upgraded to a pair of 1gig G. Skill HZs. The CAS latency changed from 2-3 during the upgrade.

I also tried the ram at a 1/2 divider running at 150 mhz. It didn't work either. I'll continue to tinker around with the settings to see if I can get it above 2700.

Side note: I tried again last night to push it over 2.7. I tried changing the voltages, everything. RAM at stock and lowered divider...etc. Nothing worked...I'll mess with it some more.

Thanks.

satandole666 said:
Even though the memory is at stock speeds/voltage?

The question is moot though. I just upgraded to a pair of 1gig G. Skill HZs. The CAS latency changed from 2-3 during the upgrade.

I also tried the ram at a 1/2 divider running at 150 mhz. It didn't work either. I'll continue to tinker around with the settings to see if I can get it above 2700.

Side note: I tried again last night to push it over 2.7. I tried changing the voltages, everything. RAM at stock and lowered divider...etc. Nothing worked...I'll mess with it some more.

Thanks.

I find it strange that I have system instability when I run a 120 or 100 ram divider. My ram is way below spec in this case. But it did it with both my Epox and dfi.

I have had a new cpu running for a couple of weeks now. Here are some results:
Opt 170 CCBBE 0610 DPMW
ASUS A8N32 SLI DELUXE
FREEZER 64 PRO
CERAMIQUE THERMAL COMPOUND
1 GB GSKILL @ 2.5,4,4,8 W/183 DIV. 268
2x GIGABYTE 7900GT @ 530/784(1568) IN SLI
HT @ 1180 4X runs great up to 1200
FSB 295 X 10 = 2950 @ 1.55v (on a daily basis)
TEMPS; IDLE 44C; FULL LOAD SUSTAINED 55C
3D-03 32,865
3D-05 14,532
3D-06 9,556
AQUAMARK 120,697
Temps. and voltage requirements go up very fast above this level. 3GHz requires 1.6v.

CPU Type: dual core 165
Stepping: CCBBE 0617 FPMW
Best Stable OC: 2800Mhz
VCore: 1.4v
Temps: Idle/Load: 39/55

EDIT:
see sig

Last edited:
CPU Type: Opteron 185 DC
Stepping: CCBBE 0615 DPMW
Best Stable OC: 3.060 Ghz (255 x12)
VCore: 1.4 set in Bios, reads as 1.42~1.44
Temps: 32 idle / 48 full load

CPU Type: Opteron 144 OEM
Stepping: CAB1E 0614 BPW
Best Stable OC: 3150 MHz (still pushing it higher)
VCore: 1.525 V
Temps: Idle 28 - Load 43

Apologies to everybody for not keeping my promise last year to update this thread. This year I promise not to make any promises I can't keep! I'll make partial updates every week starting this Sunday. Can somebody be kind enough to send me a pm? Thanks guys and sorry for being a lazy ***. :(

High Temps but great chip

CPU Type: AMD Opteron 175 Dual Core
Stepping: CCBBE 0617 EPMW
Best Stable OC: 2900Mhz (stock vcore, afraid to push higher because the temps)
VCore: 1.35v
Temps: Idle/Load: 38-42/58-61

Why temp is so high? I have XP90 with AS5. I'm sure the HSF is installed properly however on load I tried to touch the HSF and it was at best warm while it should be hot. Any suggestions? how do you guys apply AS5? only a drop on the center or spread all over the area? This chip seems to have a great potential but temp is scary.

pic with results
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/4532/snap5ef7.jpg

Regards
DeathEvil

Bump, hey S-N I updated the results for my 144. FWIW I think it is the highest reported OC I've seen for a 0544 CABNE.

Last edited:
Back