• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC for wife and kids- 860K or FX 6300 or....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

Figured I'd post this here since I am curious about the CPU specifically and would like to go AMD on this.

This is where my head is at for the wife's PC build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=hLCxFT

She will just use this to surf the net and email and you tube kids for my daughters but it will be hooked into the 1080p flat screen in the living room. Planning a custom loop just for looks with some kind of bright color for the fluid. My oldest is getting into minecraft. I'm just trying to think of all the uses so you guys can better help.

Is the 6300 worth the added expense here. I wouldn't mind being able to keep it ITX but it's not a must.

Thanks for the help guys :D

the 6300 will take you out to an atx board, the fm sockets are on smaller platforms.
don't bother with fx cpu's at this time, dead end, low performance and lots of heat.

the 6300 will take you out to an atx board, the fm sockets are on smaller platforms.
don't bother with fx cpu's at this time, dead end, low performance and lots of heat.

Are the guidelines as strict for the mobo for an 860K? Like the FX CPU's....?

And I will be bothering with an FX chip for my build to wait out and see what Zen brings.....

Are the guidelines as strict for the mobo for an 860K? Like the FX CPU's....?

And I will be bothering with an FX chip for my build to wait out and see what Zen brings.....
Unless you're looking to Oc it you shouldn't have an issue running it on any compatible board. Though, I would look for one with heatsinks on the VRM section. Out of curiosity why not a Apu and forgo the dedicated Gpu? Built my dad a A10 7850k/X 88 setup about a year or so ago and for just browsing and light gaming it's a great rig.

Unless you're looking to Oc it you shouldn't have an issue running it on any compatible board. Though, I would look for one with heatsinks on the VRM section. Out of curiosity why not a Apu and forgo the dedicated Gpu? Built my dad a A10 7850k/X 88 setup about a year or so ago and for just browsing and light gaming it's a great rig.

Because the 750 Ti is already sitting here with a Block on it :D

Go for the 860k then it's cheaper and easier in the long run if you want to keep it small

Would a 6300 be worth the added cost? Be relevant a bit longer maybe....?

The only benefit of the FX6xxx is the extra cores which I don't think you'll need from what you say you're building. After that they're cons. It's harder to cool, there are no suitable mATX boards to run it. The 860k has a better IPC than the piledriver so better performace at the same clock. If you're watercooling it already then you could get the clocks up on the 6xxx but I just don't feel it suits what you want.

Ok I appreciate the input this keeps her build simple. I know the cooling is not necessary here it's just for looks like I said, you know girls if it has pretty colors they're happy lol.......

The only benefit of the FX6xxx is the extra cores which I don't think you'll need from what you say you're building. After that they're cons. It's harder to cool, there are no suitable mATX boards to run it. The 860k has a better IPC than the piledriver so better performace at the same clock. If you're watercooling it already then you could get the clocks up on the 6xxx but I just don't feel it suits what you want.
I agree with Johan, for what you plan on using it for the Fx 6300 isn't necessary, nor is it recommended to try and run one on a mATX board.

I agree with Johan, for what you plan on using it for the Fx 6300 isn't necessary, nor is it recommended to try and run one on a mATX board.

Yup I found that much out researching the FX chips. If I was going to go 6300 it would get a better mobo lol.

Thanks for the info guys, this will help finish the wife's build off nicely and keep costs down.

Side bar guys, for a 1080P gaming rig @60FPS max on a flat screen using a GTX960 4GB or an R9 380X FX 6300 or 860K?

If FX 6300, do we follow the same recommended list as is up in the sticky for the 83XX and higher processors?

Thanks

Personally I don't think there's be much difference between the two. If the game takes advantage of 6 cores then maybe but most newer games rely more on the GPU than the CPU

Looks fine to me. I used that mobo for a while it was pretty solid. Not for me since I'm a bit extreme but it'l do you well.

Looks fine to me. I used that mobo for a while it was pretty solid. Not for me since I'm a bit extreme but it'l do you well.

What mobo then? This is a budget gaming build for my brother..........

For my build I am thinking of trying the new Gigabyte 990FX mobo with an 83XX series chip....... and a custom loop

That Giga is fine I"m a bencher and was having trouble going over 2500 on the mem and some FSB issues with that one. For your everyday guy that board is fine. Like I said it was a good solid board , I beat the crap out of things TBH

That Giga is fine I"m a bencher and was having trouble going over 2500 on the mem and some FSB issues with that one. For your everyday guy that board is fine. Like I said it was a good solid board , I beat the crap out of things TBH

Ok thanks, will probably start piecing this together for him next week while I wait on the wife's Parvum to arrive............

That's the exact board I bought for my dad, it will suit you just fine.

Thanks for the affirmation.

May I ask as I see your signature, what difference is there between the CV Formula and the Formula "Z"?

- - - Updated - - -

And FYI I plan to start benching as well once my rig is up and running :D

I got hooked on OC'ing when I setup the last PC with the Skylake i7 and the 980 Ti HOF...... ;)

Back