• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC for wife and kids- 860K or FX 6300 or....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The CHV-z and CHVF are nearly the same TBH the Z might have a bit of advantage with RAM tuning but that's about it IMO. I've used both. There's a link in my sig about the bench team if you're interested

The CHV-z and CHVF are nearly the same TBH the Z might have a bit of advantage with RAM tuning but that's about it IMO. I've used both. There's a link in my sig about the bench team if you're interested

Yes sir I went through the link earlier today, you guys will be hearing from me once I'm up and running. Just for me to have some fun, with this initial build I don't plan on breaking any records lol, waiting for this year to play out before shelling out any higher cash fir hardware.....

So you'd take a used CHVF over the Z for half the price? This is my debate for my build :D

Oh and I ordered (2) 860 K's, one for the wife and one for my brother's build. :bday:

Yes sir I went through the link earlier today, you guys will be hearing from me once I'm up and running. Just for me to have some fun, with this initial build I don't plan on breaking any records lol, waiting for this year to play out before shelling out any higher cash fir hardware.....

So you'd take a used CHVF over the Z for half the price? This is my debate for my build :D

Oh and I ordered (2) 860 K's, one for the wife and one for my brother's build. :bday:

In a heart beat. Don't tell me the link or I'll buy it. Ha ha JK but not really

Um the Z DOH ;) I had to. hehe There are a few bells and whistles added to the Z exactly what I'm not sure. Johan would be able to answer you better, he has or had both.

OOPS read the post and answered before I saw Johan already had.

As far as the CHV it's a great board and overkill for most users, unless one is going to be using extreme cooling like the two of us.

Last edited:
Um the Z DOH ;) I had to. hehe There are a few bells and whistles added to the Z exactly what I'm not sure. Johan would be able to answer you better, he has or had both.

OOPS read the post and answered before I saw Johan already had.

As far as the CHV it's a great board and overkill for most users, unless one is going to be using extreme cooling like the two of us.

Thanks gonna see if I pick it up then instead of the new Gigabyte one........

Gigabyte is hit and miss with FX, usually more miss.

If you plan on pushing things as you said you do, I wouldn't buy anything but a high end ASUS board for FX. CHVz,CHVF or Sabertooth R2

If you plan on pushing things as you said you do, I wouldn't buy anything but a high end ASUS board for FX. CHVz,CHVF or Sabertooth R2

Roger that, appreciate the input on all of this.

Now to research good CPU coolers as I am thinking of NOT doing a WC loop for now to keep things simple.........

+1 If not looking to push to extremes and or be able to tweak every last possible thing the Sabertooth would be my choice, which I also have. If money is not an issue and/or you want to be able to turn the knobs on just about everything CHV/ CHV F. For my money there are no other AMD 990FX boards, we've seen just too many issues with the others. Gigabyte boards have the goods to push a FX 6/8 core but sometimes, depending on the revision the BIOS, features for reliable OCing are lacking. Msi have been MEH for years on the AMD side. The VRM sections are usually put together with budget components and like to go boom when stressed. I had two Msi board pop on me and that was with much less demanding AMD processors. Asrock is making quality boards but we don't see enough of them come through here to really say whether the top end boards worth recommending.

You won't push that far without water just FYI

Yeah I know just keep going back and forth maybe the predator will find it's way into my rig........

What cpu cooler for the 860k to play with that and have fun on the wife's build?

What case are you planning to use?

For which build, planning three builds right now lol....... need to start on case selection.

If footprint is no matter with mobo selection for the 860K then for the wife I will most likely use the Parvum Veer 1.0 that is set to ship today (finally)......

For my build I am back to square 1 but do like the Fractal define R5.............. for my brothers don't know yet........

If you're using the Veer for your wife's build it says it can accommodate up to a 160 mm tall Air heatsink. If that is accurate the 159mm tall Cm 212 will fit in there and is plenty of heatsink for the 860k.

If you're using the Veer for your wife's build it says it can accommodate up to a 160 mm tall Air heatsink. If that is accurate the 159mm tall Cm 212 will fit in there and is plenty of heatsink for the 860k.

Thanks that'll do it then. Appreciate the help.

Back