• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Same as anything else AMD. Bump the baseclock to 205, test, reboot, bump to 210, test, reboot, 215....add voltage if needed. :D

tried a couple of different combos it doesnt boot. I am new to amd overclocking. i tried 205 x7 didnt work. I read online at this board that the voltages all have to be tweaked just to get it started.

Do you know safe voltages for the AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz

The "AMD safe" voltages for the 250 X2 are 1.20-1.45 for the vCore and 1.15-1.20 for the cpuNB voltage (not to be confused with the NB chipset). I'd start at 1.35 vCore and 1.15v for the cpuNB and work up from there as needed.

I'd also set the vDIMM at 1.85 just for good measure. The small 0.05v won't hurt if your board keeps a solid vDIMM but if it can't the extra voltage will make sure the RAM isn't under-volted. You'll also need to lower your RAM speed down one notch to keep from overclocking the RAM (you can OC it after you're done with OC'ing the CPU, if you want) and I'd lower the HT Link multiplier to keep the HT Link speed at or below 2000 MHz.

The cpuNB multiplier is harder to predict but it may need lowering later on as well. A higher cpuNB often makes the CPU OC more stable but you can get too much of a good thing - this is where the experimenting part comes in as every system is different. ;)

After you've manually set the vCore and cpuNB voltage and lowered the other clocks you can move on to OC'ing the CPU following xokeman's quick, but correct, sequence. Keep us posted on results if you can - and good luck ... :)

Last edited:
Ouch! Your core voltage is already greater than 1.5. At stock speeds you certainly don't need that much! Keep your HT Link speed between 1800-2000 and don't let your CPUNB exceed 2400 as you overclock. One or two small bumps over stock for CPUNB voltage and one bump over stock for ram voltage is usually helpful. In bios, start ram at DDR 333 (DDR2 800) instead of DDR 400 (DDR2 800) and clocking up toward DDR 400 (its stock rating) will keep you from exceeding ram limits as you increase the fsb.

Last edited:
yeah try increasing vcore only for stability and log your results
that way you'll find a good oc for efficiency for your HTPC. like 3.5ghz at 1.3v

you guys are awesome. will post pics probably tommorow night. Happy halloween

Dooms i plead the fifth but black xp comes preloaded so it saves a ton of time for my often reformats. still looking for the fastest install xp

Hey I am in the same game you are, I run a modified version of Win7 ultimate x64 because it's been trimmed down. I also had that same distro of XP, I still use it on a P4 rig. There's quite a few slimmed down versions of Windows that really benefit software development (what I do most of my time) that don't have extra crap that can interfere with initial testing.

First pic is after i killed cool and quiet and added vcore to 1.35

bds2zl.jpg

Second pic is after just adding more ghz
2mo2ws8.jpg]

How the heck do i know what temperature to watch. Whats the diffrence between core and temp and a temp 2. I only have the cpu cooler in the case NO case fans.

Well I wouldn't use Speedfan to read CPU temps, it doesn't always label them right. Unless you live outside and it's snowing, the Core readout of 16C is most likely offset by a lot or labeled wrong. You should use CoreTemp instead. I wouldn't recommend OCing until you have it and checking your LOAD (NOT IDLE) temps and making sure they don't go above 60C (55C is usual the best for a stable OC) after an hour or two of full load using a program like Prime95. After you think you have a good OC, run 10+ hours of Prime95 to make sure there's no errors or crashes etc.

top screenshot is from core temp

and i am using boinc to create a 100% load. Thats the point of this OC.

but alas it crashs at full load after a few mins.

its not a stable OC when i run full load it crashs on

downloading that program now

surfing the web is ok but not boinc lol

i5w5r8.jpg

Id say the 30c number is your CPUs idle temp. Crank it up to a load an screenshot that again. (HWmonitor normally has everything labeled, but not for every motherboard.)

Back