• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HWmonitor and FX-8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

polacos

Hi, I have fx8120 oc and now i try to overclock it even more, but what temp is correct and important in hwmonitor.
In the shot you can see cpu temp 65 and core temp 47. Which one is important. I know 55 is max acceptable, but core or cpu?

Screenshot.
168v2w9.png.jpg

Good question. If you have some patience and a few more years of life left there is a vigorous discussion on this very question currently active in the CPU section: "FX 820 and His Temp" is the thread title.

My answer is: the core temp is supposed to be the critical one but serious questions linger about the influence of other sensor temps on the equation used to calculate core temp (it's not really an actual temp reading) so if the core temp is more than about 10c less than the CPU temp you'd better look at the CPU temp as well.

You're not in danger yet with your temps but I wouldn't let the CPU temp get any higher. A Corsair H40 does not come close to being adequate to cool an FX 8 core if you are overclocking and maybe not even if you aren't.

You're not in danger yet with your temps but I wouldn't let the CPU temp get any higher. A Corsair H40 does not come close to being adequate to cool an FX 8 core if you are overclocking and maybe not even if you aren't.

I thought by now with the FX's being out since about Oct of last year and all the dismay at the high temps the FX's make when pushed; that people would lay off these low power coolers. Not snowball's chance of that H40 cooling those 8 cores when pushed.

EDIT:
Just about all the customer reviews at the Egg were using cpu speeds like 2.7 to 3.4Ghz Intel processors. This user review was from one running the FX-8120.
1 out of 5 eggsNot Worth Ordering Online

Pros: None!!!

Cons: I have been building PCs for the past 15 years and I have to say that this is not worth ordering online. This is my first bad review of any product on Newegg but I hope that I can help someone else from making the same mistake I did by ordering this cooler. It was not to difficult to install, if your case allows access to the back of the motherboard. After getting it installed I heard the pump turning off and on constantly. My FX-8120 process shot up to 70C in under 1 minutes with this "Cooler" installed. Corsair is usually makes a fantastic product but this cooler is definitely a dud in my opinion.

Other Thoughts: The whole order and RMA process is going to take about 10 business days to complete. This cooler is not worth all the headache of having to wait that long. Do yourself a favor and buy local so when you get a dud at least it can be replaced the same day. END EDIT.

Last edited:
I don't buy at egg because in Australia we don't have newegg. I buy in my local computer shop. Anyway, 3.4 Ghz gives me 57C, so I will stick to it. For now
My fan setup for h40 radiator is good,
Fan => Radiador => Fan

none of the corsair hydro coolers are up to the 8 cores, the h 60 is great on my 955 quad core and i can recommend that, the h100 was fair at cooling my 8 core up to 4.2ghz but the way it failed i cant recommend that.

Back