• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212 Evo + Intel 4930k + LGA 2011

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nineteensc2

Registered
Hey guys, anyone who can help me solve this would have a big thank you:

I recently got a new 4930k, I already had a coolermaster hyper evo 212.

My motherboard is Gigabyte x79 -ud3.

Everything is compatible with each other, and it seems people have placed the heatsink on the cpu just fine, however, everytime I do this the heatsink seems to wobble a little back and forth.

If it wobbles side to side, I have no problem with that, but it's wobbling away from the processor which is definitely not fine. If anyone has a hyper evo 212 and a LGA 2011 motherboard: the screws don't seem to go in enough for the bracket to hold down the heatsink firmly on the cpu. No matter how many times I take it out and put it in again, there's a very small amount of space left between the top of the cpu and the heatsink.

What this does is causes the temperatures to be ~50 degrees at idle. I can press slightly on the top part of my heatsink and hold it in that position to cause the temperatures to drop by ~15 degrees.

I've tried taking the whole heatsink out and screwing it back in over 15 times. People have installed the cpu in the past with the same build, so I'm really not sure what the issue is here. Maybe the hyper 212 is defective as its a year old and I took it off the cpu I used to use.

Anyone ever been in the same situation? Heatsink wobbling off the cpu by just a little?

Welcome to the OCF Forums as for your problem, maybe you could use some washers like spacers so that would allow you to tighten the cooler to the CPU!

The washers should allow the thread space to tighten down the cooler unit, if not there should be some adapter size screws in a kit you could buy as well.

In this Video it shows a separate packet of fixing screws for mounting the 2011 socket, so maybe that is what you need!!!

With the WC Cooler here i had to change the length of the threaded screws so it would be a good fit on my 4960X CPU! ;) :thup:

Regards,

AJ.

Last edited:
Welcome to the OCF Forums as for your problem, maybe you could use some washers like spacers so that would allow you to tighten the cooler to the CPU!

The washers should allow the thread space to tighten down the cooler unit, if not there should be some adapter size screws in a kit you could buy as well.

In this Video it shows a separate packet of fixing screws for mounting the 2011 socket, so maybe that is what you need!!!

With the WC Cooler here i had to change the length of the threaded screws so it would be a good fit on my 4960X CPU! ;) :thup:

Regards,

AJ.

Thanks man, the video helped out.

Had the wrong standoffs. The LGA 2011 standoffs are new, and a lot of people that bought this heatsink over a year ago did not receive them. You can get them for free.

The tricky part is, they look just like the standoffs you normally get.

Thanks!

Anytime as you can see that what OCF Forums are about, good luck in finding the right Stand off's!!

AJ.

Back