• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I cannot disable HD Audio controller in bios!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valgua

Registered
Hi!

I have a weird issue. I cannot properly disable HD Audio Controller in bios on my Asus Z170 Pro Gaming.

1) I disable HD Audio Controller in bios, save and exit. All other settings are on default.

2) The screen loses signal for about 30 seconds.

3) The video signal returns and the boot proceeds as normal.

4) I press "turn off" in Windows.

5) The screen loses signal and does not come back. The fans and the lights in the PC are on but the computer is unresponsive. The PC does not turn fully off.

6) After several minutes of waiting I keep the on/off switch pressed to turn the PC off.

7) I turn the PC on, enter Bios and Switch HD Audio back on.

I have tried this with both HDMI and DVI and by enabling and disabling realtek audio in device manager. The outcome is always the same. Is the card defective? Is there something simple I could try?

Yes, that would certainly disable the HD Audio in Windows. However, I wonder why I cannot do it in bios? Is the motherboard defective?

No, just the Nvidia GPU, which however has a built in audio chip.

Update bios to the latest version. If it's already there, reflash and try again...

No, just the Nvidia GPU, which however has a built in audio chip.
are you trying to use it? If not, uninstall nvidka drivers and reinstall, this time, dont install the audio portion of the driver.

Please create a signature listing system spec so we know what you are working with.....

Last edited:
Thanks. I have flashed the bios to the latest version but nothing changes :-(

My specs: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, MSI Geforce 1080, 16 gb DDR4, SSD Samsung 500 gb.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I missed the Nvidia driver thing. I will try it as soon as I get back home. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

I have tried without the Nvidia drivers. Nothing changes.
I would be curious to know if there is someone else with an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming experiencing the same issue. I could live with it if it was a common problem. If I am alone I have to conclude that my mobo is defective (while still under warranty).

I am not. I am just trying to understand why I get these issues when I disable the on-board audio.

- - - Updated - - -

I found out something very intriguing: users of the MSI z170 (I have an Asus) did have the EXACT same issue until MSI released an update (https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=260854.0). Could it be a bug infesting more than one brand? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Asus say that they never heard of the issue. However, the extreme similarity with the problem concerning the MSI board (and other Z170 mobos, according to at least one comment) have convinced me that this is a bios issue which should be addressed with an update.

I've read through the thread and not once did the OP mention after bios update he cleared the cmos via removing the battery. :shrug:

Sorry. Yes, I did clear the cmos.

And you still cannot disable the Onboard Audio in the bios? Did you leave the battery out for at least 15min? Sometimes on certain boards it takes a bit longer to clear the cmos via this method. As a rule I leave the battery out for 15min or over night. In the past this has worked for me with stubborn boards.

If this doesn't work, then you may have a defective board. You can wait for a bios update or RMA the board.

Back