• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't figure it out...HELP!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

I've had this wierd and annoying problem with my computer for the past couple of days. The system in question is "Carnage" in my sig. If you don't feel like reading this whole thing the latest set of issues is in the last three paragraphs of this post. These events happened in series and I am not sure if they are connected in anyway, but I'll start from the begining.

It all started about a month ago, but back then I didn't think much about it. I am spending the summer with family out in California so I decided to bring my computer along. I packed it pretty good in the box my case was shipped in and checked it in on the airplane. Needless to say, when I arrived in California the box was in poor condition, and when openning the box my case window had popped off and my radiator came loose. Anyway, cosmetic damage and I was able to get things working.

About two weeks ago, when I downloaded the BF2 Demo and installed the 77.30 drivers on my computer my computer would all of a sudden start locking up randomly. Mostly whenever I either leave it for a while after playing a game or after I restart F@H after finishing a game and it would always lock up in the same way. First the computer would really slow down, then my mouse would not move at all, then the graphics would go bad (down to 256 color) and blue screen.

Anyway, this continued on even with the 77.50 and 77.72 drivers, it was an annoying problem, but it was just a matter of restarting the computer.

The real problem started happening last week after I installed the full version of BF2 on my computer. The first day I was using the program it ran fine, but on the second day I couldn't get it to run at all. As soon as I would start a level or within 5 minutes of starting a level the computer would either BSOD or the graphics would go bad and BSOD. I tried reinstalling the game and my graphics drivers and still the same thing. This was all on a non-OCed system. I even ran MemTest and no errors. On another attempt to fix my problem I noticed that the BSOD game me an error involving my RAID controller. So I go to uninstall all of my nVidia drivers and reinstall it. I go into safe mode to do the uninstallation and used Driver Cleaner to make sure when I reinstall it's a clean installation. When I go to restart my computer after cleaning out the nVidia drivers I immediately get a BSOD after the Windows boot screen shows. So I try to do it in safe mode, this BSODs to after a certain point in the OS load (don't remeber exactly where it does it). I turn off my computer and decide to call it a night.

When I got to work on my computer the next morning I notice a puddle of water on my sound card that had leaked from fittings on the bottom graphics card. I think, so this is the cause of all my problems. I remove the card, do a partial drain of the system and reattach my tubing making sure that the clamps are firmly attached. I then refilled my system and allowed it to bleed for 2 days to make sure that it did not leak. I even shook the tubing a little bit to make sure things were still firmly attached. While this happened, I had my sound card out and allowed it to dry.

This past Monday I put everything together and went to restart my system. Well I get the same problems I was getting earlier with Windows BSODing while loading even when trying to go into safe mode. I decided to reinstall the OS. This is where the problem gets wierder. No matter how many times I tried I could not complete installing Windows. I thought maybe my hard drives went bad so I ran Western Digital's quick diagnostic test to check my hard drives. No errors. So I disconnect and reconnect the SATA cables and try to reinstall again. Same thing, the installation would BSOD either when detecting the devices or at the end when it is finishing the installation. I then thought that maybe its my sound card, so I take it out, but same thing. I decide to do an extended test on both of my hard drives, and again they come back with no errors.

So I start to suspect my PSU, which is the last thing I would suspect since it is a PCP&C PSU. I started by disconnecting the BayBus on my computer, and low and behold I get thorugh the installation, but it is still not stable. While installing SP2 it crashes. This time I catch that the crash was caused by "win32k.sys." I once again try the installation process, but this time it crashes at the end of installation, but this time caused by "ntfs.sys." I try a third time and this time it installs. Even installed SP2 the nF4 drivers and my graphics drivers. I thought everything was in the clear. Then I go an install Windows updates and BSOD, caused once again by win32k.sys. I even try to incease my voltages to the voltages they were running at when OCed, but stil the same thing, and the crashes seemed to either caused by win32k.sys or ntfs.sys. Ocassionally others would cause the crash, but these two seem to the coming up the most in the BSODs I am getting. I even tried installing without the RAID array, but same thing.

While all of this is happening I start to notice a click right before my computer would crash. I am not sure if it is coming from my PSU or my hard drives since their right next to each other, but it sounds more like a click that a power supply makes than a hard drive. Plus the hard drive diagnostics came back good so I don't think its my hard drives.

Right now I am suspecting that my PSU is going bad, and there is a voltage drop when I hear the click that causes my system to crash, but I can't find my multimeter at the moment to verify this. This would suck because for a $240 PSU I shouldn't have to be dealing with any of this. I'm all out of ideas and was wondering if you guys can suggest anything else. I just got BF2 and managed to get 2 games in before this all started happening and I am really itching to get back on. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think there is any way to know whats wrong unless you have parts to swap out. Are you 100% sure there is not a microleak? Do you still have problems with your sound card out?

Yuriman said:
I don't think there is any way to know whats wrong unless you have parts to swap out. Are you 100% sure there is not a microleak? Do you still have problems with your sound card out?

I have the same problem with the sound card out and I am pretty sure that there are no microleaks. I triple checked the fittings before I powered the system back up and the water level in my fill line has stayed constant. As far as swapping parts, unfortunately my spare parts are not with me since I am only out here for a 3 month vacation so I don't have everything with me.

I would try to back off to minimum configuration. CPU, PSU, RAM (one stick) Video, one hard drive. Also, reset the CMOS.

Boot up and install windows. Is it stable? If no, then you're scr....d until you can get some swap-out parts. If it is stable, start adding parts until it acts up again. Then you know what is wrong.

Okay, I tried it with one hard drive at a time and with both hard drives I get a BSOD whenever I install Windows. One thing I noticed though is that whenever I unplug my Baybus about 60% of the time I am able to sucessfully install Windows, but the installation is unstable. However, when I have my Baybus plugged in I can't get past the installation no matter how many times I try. This is making me suspect the PSU is really the problem.

My last BSOD I managed to note the error:

Stop: 0x000000BE

When I did a Google search on this it says it is an error involving an attempted write to read only memory. Anybody have a clue what this means? I have somewhat of an idea, but not sure if this can be corrected in the BIOS.

Thanks again for the help.

3 inoccuous things to try
1. Test the voltages with a multimeter instead of software
2. Try resetting the CMOS
3. Try testing the RAM with memtest86

Does PCP&C have a replacement/repair policy?

I am running memtest86 right now and so far 8 hours without error so I don't think its a memory error. I'm going to try to reset the CMOS, but I'll let memtest run about 4 more hours to be sure. I had my multimeter mailed to me so as soon as I get that I'll check the voltages.

I don't think that it was the plane trip, though with this problem who knows, but I had the computer running fine for about the first week and a half. This latest problem really only started happening a couple of days after I installed the Baybus. I don't know if that screwed up my PSU somehow, but I don't see how if PCP&C are suppose to make the best PSUs money can buy.

I know that I am still under warrenty for my PSU, but I'm not sure how their RMA service is. I heard a lot of good things, but also a couple of bad things about their RMA. Anyway I don't want to say the PSU is bad until I am 100% sure through verification on a multimeter.

Update:

I just cleared my CMOS and pulled out the PSU and I am still having problems installing Windows XP. I also noticed that the clicking noise was not coming from my PSU but from the hard drives. Right before my computer BSODs I hear "click-click" right before I get the BSOD. The funny thing is that WDs Diagnostics utilities find nothing wrong with the the HDs when running a quick and full media scan. I even zeroed both drives. Could my cables be behind this? I remeber hearing that the cables that came with the DFI boards weren't that good.

I think I will try plugging my drives in the SiI3114 controller next.

Update 2:

Well I looked around several forums and found somebody at DFI-Street who had to set his timings to 2T in order to get his system stable. Well I did that and I am finally able to get my system to work, but I can no longer use 1T timings for my system.

My question now is why would all of a sudden I not be able to use 1T timings when it was running fine at this setting for two months? I can't even use 1T at default speed :(.

Are the temperatures where you are now hotter than where you were when it worked at 1T?

Try opening the case and directing a house fan into the case. If that solves the problem then you know it is a heat problem.

Back