• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't tell if my memory is bad.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nimblor

I bought 4gb of DDR400 (kingston hyperx KHX3200k2/26 4x1gb) sticks, slapped them in my sig rig and booted up. Trememdous improvement in speed and smoothness especially with chrome. Naturally I wanted to re-oc my machine and got it up to 2.7mhz no problem, Prime95 stable for about 20 minutes, until I got bored. YAY! Except my HTT was at 900mhz which was weird and I did not remember how to fix that. To get the 2.7 mhz I had to run a 3/4 memory divider which was ok. I pushed for MOAR!! but i ran into problems.:D

THEN I decided to memtest86+ my sticks which is easy because v1.65 is in my bios.. got an error in test #3. Ok I figured I better run stock settings on the memory so I set everything to auto in the bios and ran it again. Then my cmos battery died, luckily it is the same battery as in my garage door opener; my wife will be mad on Monday but hey... prioriteeeez!! Reset bios, reboot, set to auto, run memtest86+ over night. Red screen in the morning. :( What the fork! bunch of errors found. :cry:

Now I tried to take out all the sticks except 1, reboot gives me 3 lights and slowly repeating long beep of doom. Same with 2 and 3 sticks too and the 1 stick moved to slot 2. So I am ready to kill something right about now.

I want to use this rig with WHS but I am not sure about the memory. I have no problems in windows prime95 is chugging away. Do I really need to be worried about memtest throwing errors? What is the worst that could happen?
:confused:

AUTO wont mean that your timing are set OK in the bios.

Manual your memory speed/timing/volts to your ram rated spec. Then memtest again

Set those sub timings back to auto first. Those timings are even tight for BH-5. :p

That was an earlier mem test when I was monkeying around with some settings I found on the internet. Here is what the memtest looks like with everything at auto. Note the speed is off...??? :confused:

:-/

Here is what CPUID says ...

Code:
Chipset
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge			NVIDIA nForce4 rev. A3
Southbridge			NVIDIA nForce4 MCP rev. A3
Graphic Interface		PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width		x16
PCI-E Max Link Width		x16
Memory Type			DDR
Memory Size			4 GBytes
Channels			Dual
Memory Frequency		164.4 MHz (CPU/11)
CAS# latency (CL)		2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD)	3
RAS# Precharge (tRP)		3
Cycle Time (tRAS)		7
Bank Cycle Time (tRC)		10
DRAM Idle Timer			256
Command Rate (CR)		2T

Memory SPD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #				1
	SMBus address		0x50
	Memory type		DDR
	Manufacturer (ID)	Kingston (7F98000000000000)
	Size			1024 MBytes
	Max bandwidth		PC3200 (200 MHz)
	Part number		K
	Serial number		7006194B
	Manufacturing date	Week 49/Year 08
	Number of banks		2
	Data width		64 bits
	Correction		None
	Registered		no
	Buffered		no
	Nominal Voltage		2.50 Volts
	EPP			no
	XMP			no
	AMP			no
JEDEC timings table		CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
	JEDEC #1		2.0-2-2-6-n.a. @ 133 MHz
	JEDEC #2		2.5-3-3-7-n.a. @ 166 MHz
	JEDEC #3		3.0-3-3-8-n.a. @ 200 MHz

DIMM #				2
	SMBus address		0x51
	Memory type		DDR
	Size			1024 MBytes
	Part number		K
	Serial number		001889BB
	Manufacturing date	Week 50/Year 09
	Number of banks		2
	Data width		64 bits
	Correction		None
	Registered		no
	Buffered		no
	EPP			no
	XMP			no
	AMP			no
	JEDEC #1		2.5-3-3-7-n.a. @ 166 MHz
	JEDEC #2		3.0-3-3-8-n.a. @ 200 MHz

DIMM #				3
	SMBus address		0x52
	Memory type		DDR
	Size			1024 MBytes
	Part number		K
	Serial number		02187BAC
	Manufacturing date	Week 50/Year 09
	Number of banks		2
	Data width		64 bits
	Correction		None
	Registered		no
	Buffered		no
	EPP			no
	XMP			no
	AMP			no
	JEDEC #1		2.5-3-3-7-n.a. @ 166 MHz
	JEDEC #2		3.0-3-3-8-n.a. @ 200 MHz

DIMM #				4
	SMBus address		0x53
	Memory type		DDR
	Size			1024 MBytes
	Part number		K
	Serial number		70061A4B
	Manufacturing date	Week 49/Year 08
	Number of banks		2
	Data width		64 bits
	Correction		None
	Registered		no
	Buffered		no
	EPP			no
	XMP			no
	AMP			no
	JEDEC #1		2.0-2-2-6-n.a. @ 133 MHz
	JEDEC #2		2.5-3-3-7-n.a. @ 166 MHz
	JEDEC #3		3.0-3-3-8-n.a. @ 200 MHz

I think I have the voltage set correctly. See below. I am not sure about locking the speed...

You have to enter 'DRAM Configuration' to remove the divider you're on. Also set the timings manually to 3-3-3-8. Probably won't matter anyway. The speed and timings you're running are the #2 JEDEC spec. You have one or more bad sticks. Test them one at a time.

Last edited:
Mr. Scott! I did a lot of reading and found that the kingston hyperx and dfi sli-dr expert have a reputation for disagreement. I saw Tech Tweaker's thread here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714435

Lots of references out there to DFI street which is now gone :shrug: I was about to give up much like you did in "Into the Darkness" but just before I gave up the ship I found this genie bios info about hyperx sticks

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=138112&page=2

With those settings I was able to get memtest to show the ram at ddr400 and it got past test 3... :attn: but not test 5 :bang head: . I added some voltage which reduced the test 5 errors but at 2.81v I stopped because there were still to many and my memory was getting warm.

I decided to let DFI take the wheel and set the timing to auto... 2.71v... it worked!! my victory is in pictures below. CPUZ says I am running at 2.5-3-3-7-2T which will do. No errors in memtest and booting windows like my strong pimp hand tells it how to boot! :attn:

2.71v is not bad right? Memory seems cool.

Thanks for your help good people! My rig is going to make a swell server. :cheers:

The highlight reel-
Memtest passed at ddr401 ... say what!!! :clap:

moj6.jpg

Bios settings-
Hopefully these are helpful to someone!

ukv7.jpg

qtt2.jpg

xb7i.jpg

I was a DFI Street member.;)

The Kingston DFI inconsistencies depended on what IC's were on the sticks. I have HyperX BH-5 sticks that work just fine on all of my DFI boards.
Glad you found a way to get it going. :thup:
You can go to 2.85v on those sticks if you have to.

Back