• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I finally got my EVGA notification for RTX 3080

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After reading your email, I went back and looked. You are right. I had both a 3080 and 3080Ti on back order, my Notification was for a 12G-P5-3967-KR, so in fact yes a RTX 3080Ti.

I would rather have had the 3080 for 900 than a 3080Ti for $1500 anyways. But thanks for helping me to clear that up.

I can also see where everyone else is coming from. Had I bought it and re-sold it, I would have probably made a couple of dollars (although not worth the effort to me). A 3080Ti would be nice, but I don't need that much card for what I do.

Full disclosure: I was at work when this email came in. I panicked because I was pretty excited. I logged in at work, something I really shouldn't have been doing anyways, but I was nervous about the 20 hour thing, and people were saying they were missing their notifications. Once I saw the price, I thought it was terrible, no way I was going to pay that much for a 3080. In retrospect, a 3080Ti would have been a nice addition, but I really spent entirely too much this Christmas and my daughter is getting married in Germany this year, so $1500 would about pay for the plane ticket.
That is perfectly understandable. That is a lot of money to put out even if it is to be flipped for a profit. Thanks for confirming, as I feel even with the price hikes EVGA has done a good job of getting GPU's into the hands of the average Joe.

It is so hard to get GPU's at retail, that I cry a little inside when I see one get passed by.:cry:

After reading your email, I went back and looked. You are right. I had both a 3080 and 3080Ti on back order, my Notification was for a 12G-P5-3967-KR, so in fact yes a RTX 3080Ti.

I would rather have had the 3080 for 900 than a 3080Ti for $1500 anyways. But thanks for helping me to clear that up.

I can also see where everyone else is coming from. Had I bought it and re-sold it, I would have probably made a couple of dollars (although not worth the effort to me). A 3080Ti would be nice, but I don't need that much card for what I do.

Full disclosure: I was at work when this email came in. I panicked because I was pretty excited. I logged in at work, something I really shouldn't have been doing anyways, but I was nervous about the 20 hour thing, and people were saying they were missing their notifications. Once I saw the price, I thought it was terrible, no way I was going to pay that much for a 3080. In retrospect, a 3080Ti would have been a nice addition, but I really spent entirely too much this Christmas and my daughter is getting married in Germany this year, so $1500 would about pay for the plane ticket.
I'm with you brother... Wasn't the whole thing, in the beginning, supposed to be that the 3080 (maybe not the EVGA version but the card in general) was supposed to be $799? 3070 was supposed to be $499... something like that?

Now we're through the looking glass.

Fortunately (not for gaming of course... but for video) Apple came out with these miracle M1 units that will give you the same or better performance than a 3090 at a fraction of the price and you get a whole computer out of the deal!

I'm going to roll with that for the next couple of years (and, later, an M1X laptop or iMac) until the prices get back to something sane.

Tho I'm in need of a new video card, ain't noway in hell I'll spend 1k or more for one. I've been trying my luck on newegg's shuffle for close to a year with no luck. EVGA hasn't sent me a notification either. At this rate I'll have a better chance of getting the next gen card than what I've been trying to get. I've been lucky enough that my 1070 is still pushing my games for the time being.

Tho I'm in need of a new video card, ain't noway in hell I'll spend 1k or more for one. I've been trying my luck on newegg's shuffle for close to a year with no luck. EVGA hasn't sent me a notification either. At this rate I'll have a better chance of getting the next gen card than what I've been trying to get. I've been lucky enough that my 1070 is still pushing my games for the time being.

I got an RTX 2060 Super JUST before all this madness started (I also could've gotten a 3080 for like 850 bucks... didn't want it. :p )

I'm perfectly happy with the way things ended up. Wound up getting an Xbox Series X days before christmas... a PS5 just before my birthday. An Akai MPC One... and then the grand finale was my new Macbook. So I could've either had all that OR a 3080.

...no regrets at all!

Before this stuff got even crazier, I got a 2080Ti FE off earthdog for myself. Recently got a prebuilt ASUS for Marissa with a 5800X/3070 because no way do I have time to deal with all the shuffles etc right now. Hated to go that route, but money and time talks.

I still like entering the shuffle everyday tho it has been dry...did win it at least 3 times in the past. The EVGA notifies were really great...Right up until they were not.... when they crashed and burned. Still on the list waiting for a small miracle.:unsure:

I am not above buying a prebuilt for another 3080...and than stealing the GPU out of it and passing it on to a family member (The PC not the GPU);). Sadly I rarely have found time to game lately.:sleep:

Everyday I remain positive...This is the day I win a shuffle or notify.:cool:
(EDIT: and one day later I win a shuffle...LOL
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/threads/newegg-daily-shuffle-thread.798602/post-8173639 )

Last edited:
I was on the evga list for a 3080 in Oct of 2020. I added 5 more cards to the list in Nov-Dec. Then I deleted 4 because evga said we could only have 2 on the list. One of those two are KR cards and have now been deleted from their lineup. So now I'm only on the list for a FTW3 KL LHR. And now nvidia announces a 3090ti, which uses basically the same GPU as the 3080. :rolleyes:
At this point, I will be skipping the 3000 series entirely.

Last edited:
3090ti, which uses basically the same GPU as the 3080. :rolleyes:
I mean, it's a G102 core, sure...but the difference is night and day...2,000+ cores, 36+ TMUs, 16+ ROPs, 384 vs 320bit memory bandwidth (and much faster ICs). IIRC, it's the full G102 in all its glory(?).

I mean a Civic Type-R is just a fast Civic DX, but.... I wouldnt let the core name dissuade one from one buying this. Surely the price and relative usefulness for most do a great job already! :rofl:

Yeah, I didn't buy a Corvette ZR1 because it shares the same engine design as the Silverado 4.8L engine.

I would check out EVGA's B stock page also. Those step up trade ins have to go somewhere.

You really have to have a stream open of someone who has an "in stock" bot. When the alert sounds then check yourself.

The funny thing is a lot of my luck finding cards has been random. Literally just sat down and opened up a website and a drop was happening and I had success.

I mean, it's a G102 core, sure...but the difference is night and day...2,000+ cores, 36+ TMUs, 16+ ROPs, 384 vs 320bit memory bandwidth (and much faster ICs). IIRC, it's the full G102 in all its glory(?).

I mean a Civic Type-R is just a fast Civic DX, but.... I wouldnt let the core name dissuade one from one buying this. Surely the price and relative usefulness for most do a great job already! :rofl:
I understand the cores are very different once put into the final products. My point is (to me) each 3090ti (in my opinion) represents a 3080 that won't be made. There is a long line of people waiting for a 3080 ($900+) & maybe a handful looking to get a 3090ti (let's call it $2500+). IMHO, it seems they would want to focus on filling orders for waiting customers rather than being able to :p at AMD.

In your Honda analogy, the dealership lot is empty, there's a waiting list at the dealership for DX models, and Honda chose to convert their assembly line to build only Type-R. :)

Ahh.. I get your thinking now. :)

I look at it the other way, lol. I'd imagine they've been hoarding these full G102s to cut this SKU out for a while now. Anything that doesn't make the cut for a 3090 (and now the Ti) becomes a 3090/3080. Not all G102 cores can be a 3090 and even less a 3090Ti... so I really don't think it's taking away from it. Just the high-end ones that can unlock and fit within the parms.

I understand the cores are very different once put into the final products. My point is (to me) each 3090ti (in my opinion) represents a 3080 that won't be made. There is a long line of people waiting for a 3080 ($900+) & maybe a handful looking to get a 3090ti (let's call it $2500+). IMHO, it seems they would want to focus on filling orders for waiting customers rather than being able to :p at AMD.

In your Honda analogy, the dealership lot is empty, there's a waiting list at the dealership for DX models, and Honda chose to convert their assembly line to build only Type-R. :)
There is a waitlist for 3090s, just like 3080s.

This seemed the closest thread. I have active queue notifies waiting that are for plain 3080s from 11/9/20 and 12/9/20. I'm wondering if I'm ever going to get them.

They say they are active and notice hasn't been sent yet. The prices when I click the links for the procuts are still $809 and $879.

Anybody waiting less than that for a 3080 and get the notification? I feel like I've fallen between the cracks.

I tried checking but I can't find my notify section at EVGA...I did just get a updated SKU last week...That made me think I may get a notify email soon.

Here are the oldest...It looks like 2 from sept are still active.

Screenshot 2022-02-05 1.54.32 PM.png

Last edited:
I sure wouldn't of wanted to spend 1500 for a video card but....I think I would of done it. I spent 900ish for my card. I had a little extra money when I built this computer.

Another notification from the EVGA que...Anybody think a RTX 3080 10 GB at $789 is still worth it? With shipping and tax probably $850...

It is this one...

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 BLACK GAMING, 10G-P5-3881-KL, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Cooling, ARGB LED, LHR​

Another notification from the EVGA que...Anybody think a RTX 3080 10 GB at $789 is still worth it? With shipping and tax probably $850...

It is this one...

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 BLACK GAMING, 10G-P5-3881-KL, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Cooling, ARGB LED, LHR​

Nice! This one is on amazon for $979.99. Ebay scalpers still at $1,299.99 and it's used.

Back