• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i know motherboard died BUT do you thi nk it took ram&cpu with it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leo5111

my own stupidity b350 tomohawk and 1700x i installed a waterkit i THOUGHT i tightened the clamps down enough on the cpu tubes i had NOT was a little water on motherboard so i know its dead, but my saphire r9 280x i tested in friends PC it is still alive,is a cpu a die hard or did the short probably take it with it? and what about the ram? is ram die hard or would the short take it out? i thought for surfe my GPU was dead but its alive

Make sure the board dried out amd test it again.... unless you see damage on the board.

As far as if other parts are dead... maybe.. but doubtful. No way to know unless you test.

i must have a horseshoe up my butt i remounted and dried it with a plug in duster im talking to you on it now encoding a 1080p HEVC file

- - - Updated - - -

and boy are temps better if i did same thing with my hyper 212 cooler it would quicly be like 69C now but on water its 51C

as long as the board is not powered on any water spills on it should not damage it. I've had a couple leaks when redoing a loop that when bleeding the system netted me a wet mobo gpu or psu. Simply dry them thoroughly making sure no water remains and you should be good to go. Luckily for me I dont use the systems psu for bleeding I have a spare pos psu I use.

thats the thing water was on it while it was powered ON, but so far so good now, i think what happened is the little bit of water i saw was NOT on any exposed metal it was just on the buried traces in the board, i have heard if you have the block to tight it wont boot and i did reseat the waterblock when i tightened the clamps down on the hoses going to and from the cpu

thats the thing water was on it while it was powered ON, but so far so good now, i think what happened is the little bit of water i saw was NOT on any exposed metal it was just on the buried traces in the board, i have heard if you have the block to tight it wont boot and i did reseat the waterblock when i tightened the clamps down on the hoses going to and from the cpu

That's why you usually run a dry test of the water cooling loop with power only going to the pump with an external PSU or, the one in your case just using a jumper to get it running. And keep plenty of paper towels in the case to spot leaks. Luckily sounds like the coating on the board kept the water from getting into anything. Even if it had gotten on a trace it would only do something if it shorted with another trace, as water itself isn't a conductor of electricity, but the minerals in the water can carry a current. Distilled water should be pure enough to avoid that from happening, at least initially, but no guarantee. It could cause corrosion, but since you cleaned and dried right away, you probably got away with it.

Back