• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a CHEAP suction hose.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strida

Where can I find one? I don't want something that I will have to braze copper to, because I don't have a hot enough torch to braze copper to steel. Also, schraeder valves are okay.

My tubing size is 3/8 inch so that's should be taken into account as well. All the hardware stores around here have are ones rated down to ~ -20C or so, with plastic or rubber covering the metal hose. I don't know if these will work or not though since a direct die system will probably get colder.

One last question -- Is it possible to use the bendable copper tubing for the suction hose or will mounting/remounting (and thus bending of the tubing) cause the pipe to lose it's strength?

I lied, one last question -- What would you recommend for a first-timer, running the cap tube inside the suction hose or coiling it around? Size of cap tube is .026.

Edit -- I'm making a cap in cap evaporator

You don't want to try using copper tubing. Mounting with a good flex line is hard enough.

I got my flex tube from chilly at XS. It had copper ends on it so brazing was easy. Just be sure to ask if he has one on hand because he will take your money and ship a month later if he doesn't.

You can make a good suction line with stainless steel flex tubeing and copper ends. You can braze copper to stainless steel with almost any torch, propane would probably work fine, and any torch that can braze copper to copper would be plenty. You need to use 45% silver rod, and don't heat it up to much. Just put the torch on the copper, if you torch the steel it will burn pretty quickly. I like to use some while brazing flux. This sort is suction line works well and is cheap to make, once you have the 45% brazing rod. That stuff is expensive, and most spools of it cost $20 or more (which is enough of it to make about 1000 of these suction lines)

Ordering it from chilly is a good way to go. He makes them himself from copper and SS like I described above. Try and be specific with your length though. I got a couple lines from him and didn't say what length I needed so they were huge. I shortened them without and trouble, but if you don't want to buy the expensive brazing rod you can't change the length of the line.

Ask Chilly or RunMC has stores. I make mine all the time... key to brazing is to get heat in fast and out fast and use silver 45 as mentioned above (15 will work but not as pretty :p) The actual hard part would be to find suction line in small length... they only sell in 100ft or 500ft and only couple of places had what I would use on my systems due to working pressure rating, etc. If you have problem reaching them, (I doubt it), I could be of assistance too :)

Ah thanks for your help. I think I'll just get one of the hoses from RunMC since his prices seem reasonable and I can't seem to find anyplace that sells the 45% brazing rods locally.

What about the capillary tube? Run it inside the suction line or coil it around? What would work best?

Coil it around. Putting it in works great too if you have evap style that has inlet from center but otherwise, coiling around makes it whole lot easier and you can get more wrapping done for around... :)

Excellent! My copper block was too thick (had trouble heating it to braze the endcaps on it), so I did a drill/maze style block. I found a gas line that is meant for driers, etc. with 2 3/8 inch flares on either end, and the line itself is 1/4 inch so it will do nicely. Finishing up brazing the evaporator tomorrow but I'll take pics of the process.

Thanks for all of your advice everyone! I couldn't do this without the information and help provided on these great forums.

Back