• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a good z77 overclocking board.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh I highly I agree! I am on the same boat as you guys. I'm trying my best to get the extreme 6. However, MC is out of them. Therefore, I was trying to get the similar UD3H which I found out they are out of as well. Therefore, I think I am just going to newegg instead and save the trip.

OK that said look at this way while they are out of stock it gives you more time to save up the money? Then in a few days time you can buy what you want, problem solved!

Well if that's the case stick a order into Newegg sit back and wait for it to arrive!

Last edited:
Hahaha I have the money that isn't the problem I need the parts now lol. I have about 28k that I can spend but I don't want to go crazy =)

What I'm going to do is build a wish list with the ASRock Extreme 6 on newegg and see what my actual savings could be on waiting on MC. Then, calculate if traveling the almost 180 miles is work the savings to me. Thanks for all your help guys. Defiantly going with the Extreme 6. I appreciate all your opinions and help. You guys are great!

Last edited:
VRMs deliver power. They can help you overclock higher if you're making the CPU draw more power.

The problem is that Ivy Bridge is a 77W chip. And that's including the onboard GPU, so the CPU portion is actually around 65W. It is a VERY low powered chip. It just doesn't stress the VRMs that much. It's more important on AMD where similar chips (FX-8xxx) can draw almost twice as much.

It's not about buying what you want, it's about buying what you need. ;). I see no reason to spend more money for zero real world benefit just so you can feel better about a purchase. That just seems stupid to me. $10 for the same OC just seems like $10 down the drain.

I've never seen anyone OCing an Ivy Bridge CPU being limited by the VRMs either on any board with 8+ VRMs. Any of the boards can take you to your max on air or liquid cooling.

I wouldnt run over 4.8GHz or so on the Ex4 (no reason really). Its going to have them run hotter the less there is of them. Normally, like 99% of the time, I would say Ex4... but this guy isnt looking to settle at middle of the road clocks. The guy has $28k, whats a small bit of piece of mind against that budget?

Well time to go now its getting late here UK Time see you again and watch that EYE CANDY lol! AJ GD Night.

P.S. That's why we have different views, members views is not the OP's and should not be imposed on them by members or tell them what to do? We are here only to guide and advise and point members in the right direction! Thank you.

Last edited:
Really the reason I am building it is just to have a little bit of fun doing it. Its been a while since I have built a PC and I want to build a decent one and see how far I can push it and have some fun. Plus while I'm at it play some of the latest games and have some more fun. That's what its suppose to be all about anyways is having fun and entertaining ourselves in our free time. If by spending $10 more to achieve a higher overclock and have a little more fun I am all for it =) Once again I do appreciate all your opinions and I do enjoy hearing all of them as well.

Gn Aj thanks for your help man.

Yup, it's been on for months. That's the normal 3570K price and you get $40 more off if you get a Z77 motherboard with it.

Back