• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I really need help finishing this build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My main rig is an 8350 air cooled on a Sabertooth R2.0 overclocked to 4.6Ghz. It's Prime 95 stable at 14 hours which is the point I stopped running the program and called it done.

I've posted at 5.0Ghz but don't have the cooling power to call it stable.

IMO, 4.6Ghz is the limit for air cooling on the 8350. If you want a faster clock then you'll need water cooling.

I put this together, it's a little over budget, around $845 with all the rebate codes/MIR. The non combo deals you can look elsewhere and see if you can get them for less. Also I find the case choice to be personal so you can find one that you like better if you need. Just make sure its at least 8" wide to fit the Heatsink. This motherboard is good for about 4.4 ghz any higher you'll need to spend more money.
Rebates:
DVD Burner EMCXNWM68 $3.00
GPU $20.00 MIR
CPU EMCXNWP32 $15.00
Ram EMCXNWP43 10%
PSU $10 MIR
Mobo $20 MIR and EMCXNWL34 10%

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    31.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    36.5 KB · Views: 30
I put this together, it's a little over budget, around $845 with all the rebate codes/MIR. The non combo deals you can look elsewhere and see if you can get them for less. Also I find the case choice to be personal so you can find one that you like better if you need. Just make sure its at least 8" wide to fit the Heatsink. This motherboard is good for about 4.4 ghz any higher you'll need to spend more money.
Rebates:
DVD Burner EMCXNWM68 $3.00
GPU $20.00 MIR
CPU EMCXNWP32 $15.00
Ram EMCXNWP43 10%
PSU $10 MIR
Mobo $20 MIR and EMCXNWL34 10%

I changed my build around a little bit. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1iMNu How about this?

That motherboard will handle the 8320 or the 8350.

You won't get a huge OC with the 212 EVO on the 8 core, but it'll get you some.

That motherboard will handle the 8320 or the 8350.

You won't get a huge OC with the 212 EVO on the 8 core, but it'll get you some.

So what do you suggest I do? I feel like the 8320 isn't worth it because it gets you 3.5 ghz just like the 6300. The only thing improved from the 6300 is that it has 8 cores. If I go with the 8350 how much more will I need to spend on a cooler?

It depends on how much you want to OC. Personally, I think you're fine with the 212 EVO and the 6300 or 6350.

It depends on how much you want to OC. Personally, I think you're fine with the 212 EVO and the 6300 or 6350.

I'm just worried about next gen games utilizing 8 cores and i don't know if the 6300 will give me the performance I want.

You can always OC the 8320 and get its performance up also. You can get a mild OC with the 212 EVO, a decent OC with the NH-D14 or PH-TC14PE, or a great OC with custom water cooling.

Kranky - Something to keep in mind also is gaming relys more on GPU than CPU. What I mean by that is a 6 core processor may get pushed to 25-35% during gaming while the 8 core only gets pushed to 15-20%. However the "bottleneck" will almost always be your GPU and Ram,

Kranky - Something to keep in mind also is gaming relys more on GPU than CPU. What I mean by that is a 6 core processor may get pushed to 25-35% during gaming while the 8 core only gets pushed to 15-20%. However the "bottleneck" will almost always be your GPU and Ram,
So what CPU would you suggest?

I believe you mentioned you do alot of video rendering. If you do more video editing than gaming I'd go with the 8 core, but for Gaming I would put the extra $50 into the Ram or Video card and get the FX-6300.

I believe you mentioned you do alot of video rendering. If you do more video editing than gaming I'd go with the 8 core, but for Gaming I would put the extra $50 into the Ram or Video card and get the FX-6300.

Yeah I'm gonna do more gaming. I really like my video card and I don't know what other you I could get. Same with ram.

You can always OC the 8320 and get its performance up also. You can get a mild OC with the 212 EVO, a decent OC with the NH-D14 or PH-TC14PE, or a great OC with custom water cooling.

I just feel like $20 more for the 8320 is nothing... I can overclock both 6300 and 8320 to the same extent with the Hyper 212 correct? I can always buy a better cooler later to get more out of my 8320.

Looks good to me, I would just add some good case fans. Cooling is a must. :)

Other than that :thup:

Looks like you could add 3x 140mm fans, that'll keep good air flow and it'll be nice and quiet :D

Back