• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I really need help finishing this build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krankypenguin

Registered
I have two builds that I am trying to decide between but I really don't know if those builds are good in themselves.

Here they are: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/krankypenguin/saved/1ZIc and http://pcpartpicker.com/user/krankypenguin/saved/1YXc

For the Intel, I didn't want to go that high with my budget. And for the AMD, I feel like It won't be a good performing gaming pc that plays next gen games like BF4 on high.

I also can not seem to find a motherboard under $100 that doesn't have terrible reviews. The Asus and Asrock boards all have really bad problems that I don't want to deal with. I also don't know if my PSU is a quality power supply.

Please Help! I am having such an aggravating time with this.

AMD build looks great to me, should run anything fine at 1080p.

You could save some cash on the PSU, you don't need 600W.

CX430M would be plenty, and on sale at Newegg right now. $22.50 after a $20 mail-in when using promo code EMCXNWL32

For gaming you won't notice a difference.

The 8350 will need a better motherboard, a bigger PSU and a better CPU Cooler.

For gaming you won't notice a difference.

The 8350 will need a better motherboard, a bigger PSU and a better CPU Cooler.

I've tried to find help everywhere, and you were the best help I have received! I can't thank you enough. I just hope this motherboard is good quality....

It should do just fine for the 6300 :)

Glad to be of help, post some pics when you get it built!

Krankypenguin, welcome to the forum. If you are planning on running stock speeds then the M5A97 motherboard should be fine with the 6300. If you plan on overclocking I wouldn't put the 6300 on it, the 6xxx and 8xxx series processors really need a quality board to overclock on. I have seen a bunch of people try running their Fx processors on that board overclocked and it usually leads to them buying a new board.

Krankypenguin, welcome to the forum. If you are planning on running stock speeds then the M5A97 motherboard should be fine with the 6300. If you plan on overclocking I wouldn't put the 6300 on it, the 6xxx and 8xxx series processors really need a quality board to overclock on. I have seen a bunch of people try running their Fx processors on that board overclocked and it usually leads to them buying a new board.

What board would you recommend if not the Asus? Because I did want to overclock a little bit. I really want this PC to last a while with upgrades.

The cheapest board with a better VRM setup is mine, the GA-970A-UD3.

I think the FX-6300 would be fine OCd on the Asus though, its not a 120W CPU.

The FX6300 is a 95W TDP chip so the M5A97 should be fine with it.

If you are looking for upgradeability in the system, I would look towards a different board however. Look for one that supports the 125W or 220W TDP chips; the Asus Crosshair V Formula Z, Sabertooth R2.0 or Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 are all examples of boards that can handle your CPU now and stand a good chance of handling future AM3+ chips.

I thought this was a well thought out and articulated post on the subject: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727263

As it stands today however, your mobo choice is just fine for your CPU choice.

I can't find the forums posts where people were having fits trying to overclock on that M5A97 R2.0 board. I do recall at least 2 people trying to overclock a 6xxx series chip on it and they were having a really tough time trying to get anything over 4.3 on it. I believe Caddi has that board also for one of his phenom II chips and when he put his 6xxx on it all it did was cause problems. The boards in the post Zebodog put up are the recommended ones for overclocking. If you can find the one that ATMINSIDE has, it is also a good choice.

I can't find the forums posts where people were having fits trying to overclock on that M5A97 R2.0 board. I do recall at least 2 people trying to overclock a 6xxx series chip on it and they were having a really tough time trying to get anything over 4.3 on it. I believe Caddi has that board also for one of his phenom II chips and when he put his 6xxx on it all it did was cause problems. The boards in the post Zebodog put up are the recommended ones for overclocking. If you can find the one that ATMINSIDE has, it is also a good choice.

Since you have an 8350... I'm still trying to decide whether or not I should go with a 8320 or 8350. I will be video rendering and editing so it might come in handy. Do you think I should go with a 8320 instead of the 6300?

For rendering videos you will definitely benefit from the 8320. Though, keep in mind a few things.
1. I wouldn't put it on any lesser motherboard then the ones in the list mentioned above.
2. If planning on overclocking, really substantial cooling is a must, depending on how far you plan on pushing it. Most of us that have the 8xxx cpu's and push them past 4.4 are running high end water, as seen in my signature. It isn't a necessity but I would say something along the lines of a Noctua NH-D14 or a Phanteks PH-TC14PE would be a minimum if going with Air cooling.

One of our senior members uses his 8350 oced to 4.8 to render videos and it does the job very well for him. You may not be able to obtain 4.8 on air but I would say you should be able to do 4.6 with one of those coolers and one of the motherboards in the link. Also, you will want to make sure you have good airflow through the case you choose as well as it being wide enough for it to fit one of those Air Heatsinks.

As far as choosing your build, I would have a look through Newegg and see if you can combo some of your parts together. If you have a budget in mind post it up and I'll see if I can put something together for you, when I get a chance, that I would purchase myself.

For rendering videos you will definitely benefit from the 8320. Though, keep in mind a few things.
1. I wouldn't put it on any lesser motherboard then the ones in the list mentioned above.
2. If planning on overclocking, really substantial cooling is a must, depending on how far you plan on pushing it. Most of us that have the 8xxx cpu's and push them past 4.4 are running high end water, as seen in my signature. It isn't a necessity but I would say something along the lines of a Noctua NH-D14 or a Phanteks PH-TC14PE would be a minimum if going with Air cooling.

One of our senior members uses his 8350 oced to 4.8 to render videos and it does the job very well for him. You may not be able to obtain 4.8 on air but I would say you should be able to do 4.6 with one of those coolers and one of the motherboards in the link. Also, you will want to make sure you have good airflow through the case you choose as well as it being wide enough for it to fit one of those Air Heatsinks.

As far as choosing your build, I would have a look through Newegg and see if you can combo some of your parts together. If you have a budget in mind post it up and I'll see if I can put something together for you, when I get a chance, that I would purchase myself.

$800. I won't push the overclocking to far because I'm a novice. I don't want to ruin any of my parts.

I plan on buying the parts today though...

Last edited:
Back