• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think My RAC will GO UP!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, that's for sure. 4GZ_or_bust just posted on the other thread about having a $1000 space heater. I had to embarrassingly chuckle at the $1000. I busted that, unfortunately, too easily.

I had my window open when it was -28F the other day and i was still wearing a t-shirt:rock:

I had my window open when it was -28F the other day and i was still wearing a t-shirt:rock:

Whoa, your "location" isn't kidding! If you came to San Diego, I fear you'd die of heat stroke :). Mind if I ask where you're from? Doesn't sound like the US, too cold.

Oh, and you should duct some outside air right into your rig, and exhaust it right back out. Can't beat that for chilling..

Whoa, your "location" isn't kidding! If you came to San Diego, I fear you'd die of heat stroke :). Mind if I ask where you're from? Doesn't sound like the US, too cold.

Oh, and you should duct some outside air right into your rig, and exhaust it right back out. Can't beat that for chilling..

Oh it is in the US its called MN we get lots of cold air form Canada. They High that day was 2F .

Oh, had no idea that even the northern states got that far below zero. Even my parents that live in Michigan only see -10 once in a blue moon. Really really cold though.

We don't get as much snow as MI does. which believe it or not actually helps keep temps kinda warmer.

on behalf of NY I would like to give MN their weather back. We dont want it, you can have it.

But seriously, its friggin cold here haha.

People are crazy when they vent to the outdoors. Man, put a fan in the doorway and heat the rest of the house instead! I've been doing that for about three years now. :)

water cooling for GPU's can get expansive quick thou.:mad:
Only if you get too fancy or go overboard. Of course, you might call $120 expensive, but I wouldn't - at least not for WC. ;)

People are crazy when they vent to the outdoors. Man, put a fan in the doorway and heat the rest of the house instead! I've been doing that for about three years now. :)

Only if you get too fancy or go overboard. Of course, you might call $120 expensive, but I wouldn't - at least not for WC. ;)

It doesn't help When you Have 5 PC,Xbox360,PS3 and a TV in a 14*14 Room.

120 is not expansive but when you add in the WC kit plus the block it becomes a a little more than 120.

Well $120 still doesn't get you too far, GPU blocks are around that much, let alone CPU blocks, NB/SB blocks too perhaps, tubing, connectors, reservoir, pump... then single loop or double?

Of course, looking at your pics Mr Ice, you definitely take a minimalistic approach to your rigs, rather clever and ingenious setup you have!

Well $120 still doesn't get you too far, GPU blocks are around that much, let alone CPU blocks, NB/SB blocks too perhaps, tubing, connectors, reservoir, pump... then single loop or double?

Of course, looking at your pics Mr Ice, you definitely take a minimalistic approach to your rigs, rather clever and ingenious setup you have!
Figure $150 or so for a GPU only loop if you buy new - and, yes, I did say if you don't get fancy. I live and breathe the KISS Principle! :D

It doesn't help When you Have 5 PC,Xbox360,PS3 and a TV in a 14*14 Room.

120 is not expansive but when you add in the WC kit plus the block it becomes a a little more than 120.
At one time I had 7 PC's (all running 24/7 SETI, of course) and a 67" TV (not counting the stereo gear since it seldom ran with the TV). Had to install an auxiliary A/C unit for summer! Our gas bill went down about $10 a month that year by putting a room fan at the doorway and heating the rest of the house with the electronics. ;) Two more PC's in another room kept the far end of the hall warm. We more than made up for it in electricity use, though ...

Last edited:
That's some serious crunching if you can basically heat your house in the winter!
I was pushing 20k RAC at one time - and it meant more then since GPU crunching hadn't really gotten started and quads had only been around maybe a year. ;) But, yea, ten machines for a short while and nine machines for a year and a half or so - lots of heat! Today, even without GPU's, you can do more crunching with half as many quads and half as much heat. LOL!

I was pushing 20k RAC at one time - and it meant more then since GPU crunching hadn't really gotten started and quads had only been around maybe a year. ;) But, yea, ten machines for a short while and nine machines for a year and a half or so - lots of heat! Today, even without GPU's, you can do more crunching with half as many quads and half as much heat. LOL!

20000 RAC you can now get that accomplished on 1 systems these days. Would you look how far we've come in a short time.

I also heat much of the house with SETI. A 24" box fan pushes the warm air down the hall and towards the air intake on the whole house heating system. Currently the SETI room window is all the way open and SETI is still heating the house. (Yes, this is California and temperatures this week have lows in the 40's). In the summer I put the 24" fan in the window to exhaust heat from the room, essentially reversing the air flow.

In the future I'll be adding GPU's and retiring old boxes. The net result should be increased RAC from fewer machines. That will require a new approach for managing the heat output.

Wow, my sig is way out of date!

I'm a little worried about this summer, it got into the 70s just a few days ago, and my computer room got really toasty. I will have to get some extra fans to move air around. I'm hoping I don't have to turn on the AC.

It's been said that I am crazy, yes, thanks for noticing :)

What can I do if the ambient air gets to be 85-90, cores will be pushing max temps. Water cooling only does so much... pushing steam around inside my tubes!

I wish I could set th fan and heat the rest of the house except all of my stuff are on second floor. Warm air only goes up, and I have no desire to pop open the attic access panel that has not been opened for some 50 years.

NO AC are you crazy:screwy:

If you knew my house, you'd agree no AC while running computers. My house was built around 120 years ago and most of the original wiring (50 or so years) aren't designed with separate circuit per room. My bedroom, living room, bathroom, and second bedroom are all on the same 15A max circuit. Family room, kitchen (with electric stove) and basement is on another circuit. If I use AC I'd have to shut off the computers and not use TV at all.

PS forgot to add updating wiring isn't practical with solid wood walls

Back