• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to build my own case...Advice??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

OK, I am ready for a new case. My Xaser 2 has served me well but I want something else.
I don't have the money to spend $100+ on a prebuilt case that forces one to work with in certain limitations. So I plan to build my own. I have years of construction experience and I have been building speaker enclosures for years - so I am not afraid of getting in to a complex project as this will be (in fact it will be fun:santa2:)

What I am looking for is some advice from those of you who have used a number of different case designs and have figured out what works and what does not. Going off of the components listed in my Sig what designs would give me optimum air flow with out sounding like a wind tunnel. I have a few ideas in my head but before I start drawing up plans I want to know what the community thinks....

The only (very loose) requirement I have is for the new case to have a similar foot print as my current Xaser 2.

While I applaude anyone that is willing to make their own case, I think it's more than most expect when you start such a project. Have you thought of completely redoing your present case? Drilling out the rivets out to completely disassemble it, then turn those 80mm fans spots into 120s and strategically adding more to the bottom and top would essentially turn your case into a much better one. Painting it and the other mods will add your personal touch to it. While you'll still have the same case, it will be MUCH better and more personal, not to mention much cheaper. The savings would be enough to buy a $18 Sunbeam fan controller to keep those fans under control to maximize airflow without the added noise. I'd be willing to bet you could achieve a 2x improvement in CFM with less noise.

Axis

While I applaude anyone that is willing to make their own case, I think it's more than most expect when you start such a project. Have you thought of completely redoing your present case? Drilling out the rivets out to completely disassemble it, then turn those MM fans spots into 120s and strategically adding more to the bottom and top would essentially turn your case into a much better one. Painting it and the other mods will add your personal touch to it. While you'll still have the same case, it will be MUCH better and more personal, not to mention much cheaper. The savings would be enough to buy a $18 Sunbeam fan controller to keep those fans under control to maximize airflow without the added noise. I'd be willing to bet you could achieve a 2x improvement in CF with less noise.

I more or less have already done so.
In fact I I just got a new PUS so.... I adjusted more stuff....

any way I am not afraid of the work to build a case. It cant be any more complicated than a 3 way transmission line speaker enclosure.

Check out the alternative modding section for ideas.
This is one of my favorites - http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=549487
Just to get your mind going

COOL.
A bit more abstract then I would go.... but defiantly some food for thought..

But with the birth of my first child 25days ago I am quickly realizing that I may not have the free time I thought I would have this summer.... Because as soon as the next term at school starts up (and my Wife goes back to work after maternity leave) free time will be scarce - since I will be watching our daughter when i am not in class.

Any way I might still try and find the time when my Daughter is sleeping.
-------sorry for the sleep deprived fulled tangent---------------->

I will spend some more time over at the alternative modding section looking for ideas..

Back