• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED I wish to ask what is the difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ajay57

To help me in the future when recommending PSU units to the membership. And to have a general understanding myself of what is and is not acceptable!!
I will post these as a examples and take the discussion in the thread from there? :confused: :-/

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151109

2, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

3, http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=264

Why would you recommend if any of the above and for what reasons? :shrug:

I prescribe reading many PSU reviews. Being the vain type I'm linking mine.

We'll start with a very good unit, the Rosewill TACHYON 1000w review
I recommend reading through the whole thing, failing that at least read the final section.

Then move on to a decent unit, the Cooler Master Silent Pro Platinum 1000w review
Not as good, but still recommendable if the price is good.

Finally, we move on to a unit that got the FAIL stamp, the Thermaltake Smart-M 1000w

They all have good (looking) build quality, they all have excellent efficiency ratings (and efficiency), one of them has a few minor issues and one of them has a major issue. None of the issues can be seen any way but actually testing them.

As for reading PSU reviews, you'll generally learn more about PSUs from bad reviews than good reviews.

In many cases certain brands are regarded as only making good PSUs. A couple shining examples of this are Antec and Seasonic.
Antec doesn't actually make the PSUs with their name on them, few companies do. Antec does however care about the PSUs (now, anyway) and ensure that they all work. Are all Antec PSUs good to excellent? No way! Not long ago (a few years) they had entire lines that had capacitors with an average life expectancy of six months.
NOW their current lines are all good or better, but you can't trust name alone.

Our second example is Seasonic, they make their own units, you'd think that would guarantee that they made sure they were all at least good. You'd be wrong (Hi HEC/Compucase!). Some of their units are fantastic, most are at least good if not excellent to fantastic. A few are... less so. The last TFX unit of theirs I read a review on had some meh level capacitors in it. Not terrible caps, but not exactly great either. Does that make it a bad unit? Hard to say, you have to compare it to other TFX units, really.
That's why that list is specific units.

Now we get to the really fun part!
Thermaltake's entry level (but not crap) SMART series units. I first touched one at Funkykit: http://www.funkykit.com/component/c...rmaltake-smart-430w-power-supply.html?start=5
Teapo output caps. Not bad, not fantastic, but generally good caps.
I then touched the same model unit here at OCF a few months later:
http://www.overclockers.com/thermaltake-smart-series-430w-review
Some Teapo, some Su'scon. Su'scon are a step below Teapos generally speaking.
Quality went downhill during that time. Same exact model. Still a functional PSU though.

In any case, the bottom line is, you know whether a unit is good or not by reading the reviews.
To qualify as a review the reviewer needs to have a real load tester, if you see a "review" where the reviewer uses PC hardware as a load, close it and move on.
If more than one good site has reviewed a given PSU, read all of them. That gives you a better idea on the PSU. Some that fail are isolated flukes, others less so.

EDIT:
Here's another good read. Thread through this one and keep track of what horrifies / angers OW: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=324
If it causes anger in the reviewer, it's bad.

Last edited:
Bobnova thank you i just want to understand more so when i see a question, i will have a good answer to it! The thing that confuses me is you can not go by ratings i.e. 80 standard or Gold, Plat, Bronze? Lets be grown up and say a Seasonic 1000w Plat standard PSU now to me. With the name plus the Plat badge and if its on the OCF List surely that should be OK or not Bob? But i will look and read what you have posted here great job. AJ.

Bump Bobnova well its really late here my friend so can we carry on tomorrow, because i wish to take this debate further. Thanks good night see you later AJ.

The 80+ badges only represent the efficiency of the one (1) unit sent to the 80Plus testing company for testing. It means that that unit coughed up its rated wattage and managed a set efficiency level.
It doesn't mean anything about the caps, Asia-X capacitors can pass the test easily and still die in a couple months.
Plus, a company can build an ES unit with good parts, send that unit to 80Plus, and put crap parts in the retail units.
A few companies will put fake 80+ stamps on, too!
Essentially, efficiency != quality.
Bonus: 80+ Badge != retail unit efficiency.

The Seasonic 1kw Platinum has been tested by a variety of people and found to be good. So yes, it's good.
If they make a new 1050w PSU you cannot assume that it will be fantastic, or even good. You shouldn't, anyway. Odds are it will be good, but nobody knows until it is tested.

To know what's good and what isn't you're going to have to do the research, there isn't a shortcut. Doing the research means reading a ton of PSU reviews, hope you have a lot of time on your hands :D
Jonnyguru.com is one of the best.
Mine are here: http://www.overclockers.com/author/bobnova/
and here: http://www.funkykit.com/component/alphacontent/7-reviews/60-power-supplies.html
TechPowerUp, HardWareSecrets and [H]ardocp are all good places to read as well. I feel like I'm forgetting one top tier PSU review site too.

I feel like our main list and the reviews on other sites could be thrown into a nice spreadsheet to make things easier...

The fail PSUs also make for some funny reviews (expecially that one wolf did)!

OK: Thanks for the hard work and the time to reply Bobnova, the purpose of this thread is to educate members and myself and inform as well. As the new members asking about PSU's to power there set ups, maybe other senior members. Would kindly take this information on board and use it to there best advantage. I for one have a lot of reading to do, but i do not mind that if it helps me to be better informed. To have the ability to help others on this site. AJ. :thup:

p.s. If you have information to add to this debate please join in, for the best of the membership! :salute:

Maybe X-bit? :confused:

XBit is a mixed bag. I like that they test and show ripple at both 2ms/div and 10us/div, that's rare. They don't test at high heat and don't seem to go through and check components/solder, which is unfortunate.

I generally put them in the second tier, if you can't find enough first tier reviews for your taste, they beat the hell out of people that use computer bits for testing.

Well Bob just about finished reading the first post and about to start the next one. Tough going but i am hanging in there still lol, but what comes to me so far is. What is classed as a excellent Cap for use in a PSU Bob in your opinon, it keeps coming up Japanese? And why is there no standard for the amount of Ripple on any given line? And yes i can clearly see a sample PSU Unit to pass the 80 standard is to easy to do. Without the prospect of batch sampling along the production line to maintain standards and quality! AJ.

Each voltage needs to pass both regulation testing and ripple testing. It's explained in the block of grey text above the regulation test results.

Capacitors vary by brand and series, that's a whole new ball of wax.
Japanese manufacturers (now) have very very few bad capacitors.
Taiwan makes lower grade stuff, Chinese caps are crap for the most part.

The Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520 watt unit seems a really strong not only fanless, low ripple and capable of maintaining high outputs. And when tested to the limit the output went beyond what was stated. And it was clean and very low ripple as well, nice unit Bob! Well my friend that's about it for today the old eye's are getting tired and watery. So Goodnight see you tomorrow. AJ. :thup:

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151122

Many thanks Bobnova for your help and support in this thread, i feel i have more to learn and have only scratched the surface so far! Yes more reviews to read, but at this point i have to say i do understand better. Than at the beginning of this thread and i feel it is really worth while to. What i will do for now is leave this thread open for the members who wish to ask questions. And for those who wish to revise there knowledge as well, then later on i will book mark it and call it Solved! Thanks again to those who took part, AJ. :thup: ;)

Back