• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i6700k higher than usual temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechWizard

So like many others as I've noticed, I too am seeing issues in cooling my 6700k which is making me reluctant to overclock. I wouldn't think I should be having any issues as mine is housed in a case with excessive air flow and mounted with a CM212, but for whatever reason I'm going well into the 70s on load. I could run all my fans on max, but then I've got a hair dryer going in my living room and I'd rather not.

On my Antec 1200 I've got 3x120mm fans on the front pulling air in, 2x120mm on the back for exhaust, and the 200mm fan on the top.

From what I understand most people seem to have their 6700k OC'd and still only reach the low 60s. I'm going to be doing a remount as I might have been over zealous with the thermal paste on the first go even though I don't see any protruding out from the heat sink or CPU.

Would anyone be as so kind to supply me with the correct range of voltages I should have everything set at? There are plenty of guides out there that I've looked at, but I'm wondering what you guys have seen to yield the best results.

The system is the one in my signature - could it possibly be an old PSU causing issues? It is the last component I have yet to replace, but seems stable nonetheless.

Last edited:
What are you using to test load temps?
What is your fan configuration? Are the 3x120mm at the front? What model fans?

+1

Ambient temps?

When you say your temps and mention others without knowing their ambient, their cooler, their clocks and voltages, etc, its utterly useless information. maybe that person in the 60s on load used AIDA while someone used Prime. Or maybe someone was on air while someone else was on water or.............. see? ;)

PSU has NOTHING to do with temps man. Nada. :)

On my Antec 1200 I've got 3x120mm fans on the front pulling air in, 2x120mm on the back for exhaust, and the 200mm fan on the top.

Sorry somehow forgot to add that. I'll look up the model when I get home, they are the fans that came with the case. They have served me very well the past 3-4 years I've had the case. Just with a quick google though it looks like I could benefit from replacing them... even though I haven't necessarily had any issues myself with them.

I haven't run Prime95 or any other "load testing tool" yet because I've noticed these temps just from playing DOOM, Just Cause 3, and ARK: Survival Evolved. Is there any reason I would get higher temps in games vs load testing?

What do you suggest I use to test load temps?

Stress testing, particularly with AVX/AES instructions will absolutely give you higher temps........................

AIDA64 (I use it as its set, but if you want to hit it hard, check off FPU only), Prime95 (small FFT for CPU, blend for the system)... the usual suspects for stress testing.

+1

Ambient temps?

When you say your temps and mention others without knowing their ambient, their cooler, their clocks and voltages, etc, its utterly useless information. maybe that person in the 60s on load used AIDA while someone used Prime. Or maybe someone was on air while someone else was on water or.............. see? ;)

PSU has NOTHING to do with temps man. Nada. :)

Good to know I can still rely on this PSU then for the time being.

Ambient temps right now are 23-24C, but they've gotten as high as 51C since I left this morning and really the only program running is my surveillance camera software.

I've left my voltages on AUTO frankly because I'm not sure what I should be setting them to.

I guess I should specify that I was looking at others with similar systems using the CM212.

-- update --

Just ran a Blend test with Prime95 - not surprised to see this, but I stopped the test the moment it went into the 80s.

Prime95.png Prime95HighTemp.png

VID is exceeding 1.4v regularly - is this because of having it set to AUTO?

Last edited:
VID is exceeding 1.4v regularly - is this because of having it set to AUTO?

Yes. Set them manually.
My recommendation - Start with something like 1.35v and check stability. Continue to decrease it .01v at a time until its not stable. That will give you the lowest stable voltage, and the lowest temp.

Yes. Set them manually.
My recommendation - Start with something like 1.35v and check stability. Continue to decrease it .01v at a time until its not stable. That will give you the lowest stable voltage, and the lowest temp.

Thanks! I'll see what I can do. My plan is to OC as long as I can get the temps under control. These stress tests have pretty much confirmed there is definitely something off. If I don't end up with more stable temps once I set the voltage I'll do a remount and go from there.

Thanks! I'll see what I can do. My plan is to OC as long as I can get the temps under control. These stress tests have pretty much confirmed there is definitely something off. If I don't end up with more stable temps once I set the voltage I'll do a remount and go from there.

OCing works the same way. Once you find the lowest stable voltage for stock clocks, up your clocks 100hz at a time until it becomes unstable. Then bump the voltage .01v and repeat until you get to a max temp that you're comfortable with. Chips vary, cooling varies, temps vary. The best way to do it is to find the setting that works best for you and your setup. Trying to copy someone elses overclock right off the bat will only give you more trouble as their setup will never be 100% the same as yours.

Guys.. hes at stock... why in the world would we set 1.35V to start?!!!! 4.5ghz... I'm with ya. Stock... 1.2V at most.

Decreasing in .01V increments isn't done until the end. Think...it would take you forever to find the lowest voltage especially starting that high!!!

Anyway, the chip will throttle itself at 100c. 82c is FINE. We say to keep temps under 90C while stress testing.

So if I set my CPU voltage to 1.3 (I'll lower it to 1.2 to test per Ed's recommendation), should I still be able to see the VID? Last time I played with settings this in depth in the BIOS was nearly 13 years ago with my first build.

There's a lot of options I don't understand what they'll affect so I'm going to look more closely through the thread Leegit linked. Seems to be a lot of good info there.

--update--

I'm just going to remount my heatsink... at 1.3v my idle temps are now 30C - I just want to rule this out of the equation and I have everything to do it.

Last edited:
Guys.. hes at stock... why in the world would we set 1.35V to start?!!!! 4.5ghz... I'm with ya. Stock... 1.2V at most.

That makes sense, I couldn't remember the exact voltage for a stock clock. My point was to start with something lower than the 1.4v it was setting in Auto.

So if I set my CPU voltage to 1.3 (I'll lower it to 1.2 to test per Ed's recommendation), should I still be able to see the VID? Last time I played with settings this in depth in the BIOS was nearly 13 years ago with my first build.

There's a lot of options I don't understand what they'll affect so I'm going to look more closely through the thread Leegit linked. Seems to be a lot of good info there.

If you have an option for something like 'LLC' in your BIOS, you'll have to find which setting works best for you to maintain voltage as well. If you google your board model and 'LLC', you should be able to find what has worked and not worked for others.

--update--

I'm just going to remount my heatsink... at 1.3v my idle temps are now 30C - I just want to rule this out of the equation and I have everything to do it.
VID = stock voltage. It is ONE value. Anything outsode of that value is vcore or core voltage. Coretemp says your voltage is VID which is not correct (the name - voltage is).

Long story short, coretemp will show current vid/voltage, yes.

Last edited:
Just remounted the heatsink - used AS5 this time instead of the stuff that came with the CM212. Idle temps are still at 27-30C since changing the core voltage to 1.2v... Not sure why idle temps would increase 5-7C with a lower voltage set.

I don't think my board has LLC - but I'm going to dig and look - maybe they added it in a recient BIOS update, but a thread else where says the Z170-E doesn't support LLC (it's not in the list at least).

I also noticed while poking around in there that the AUTO setting was locking my RAM at 1.2v and it is rated for 1.35v so I set that.

The more I play with things the more I'm seeing the same kind of results totte1015 did in his thread. I wonder if the CM212 just isn't good enough for me to OC comfortably with.

Just remounted the heatsink - used AS5 this time instead of the stuff that came with the CM212. Idle temps are still at 27-30C since changing the core voltage to 1.2v... Not sure why idle temps would increase 5-7C with a lower voltage set.

I don't think my board has LLC - but I'm going to dig and look - maybe they added it in a recient BIOS update, but a thread else where says the Z170-E doesn't support LLC (it's not in the list at least).

I also noticed while poking around in there that the AUTO setting was locking my RAM at 1.2v and it is rated for 1.35v so I set that.

It set your ram at 1.2v because it's likely sitting at 2133 mhz amd 1.2v.. this is for compatibility reasons. In order to reach its rated speeds, use the xmp profile... it will set the speed and voltage.

I have a CM hyper 212 and I overclocked to 4.5GHz with 1.33v Prime 95 blend for 15 hours passed, 80c max temp. I just used less than a grain of rice for paste.

Ambient temps right now are 23-24C, but they've gotten as high as 51C since I left this morning and really the only program running is my surveillance camera software.

Hmmm.....awfully hot in yer place. 123.8 F
Oh!
Those are operating temps, not the ambient temps asked for ;)

Back