• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i6700k higher than usual temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you tried peak Vcore at 1.33v-1.35v In HWmonitor with stress testing at 4.5GHz?

No need to yet I don't think. After playing ARK for a few hours tonight it looks like my peak on "gaming load" is 64C. During game play it looks more like a steady 55C, but I have not been paying attention obviously during intense fights so I assume that's when I'm going into the 60s. I'm deeming that acceptable for the time being - Winter is coming so I'm only going to get better temps from here till next summer ;)... and by then I could definitely afford to invest in water cooling if necessary.

With Prime95 for me it is 90c and gaming is 57c that is fine for me also. I'm running 4.5GHz with uncore 4100MHz.

Would some one please humor me with why VID flucuates so much in HWMonitor, AIDA64, and HWiNFO, and in CPU-Z it shows a static 1.312V for Core Voltage?

I'm just having a hard time grasping what is detrimental here. I know Core Voltage is what I've set in the BIOS and what it should be running at. I just keep seeing VID reach further and further into the 1.45 range nearing 1.5 and I'm not sure if it is cause for alarm.

I read this on another forum board... (overclockers.net lol).

Normally when I say Vcore I mean what you think I mean. But when I mention VID vs Vcore, VID is the amount of core voltage you set in the BIOS yourself. You should know it, you're the one that set the voltage in there. The Vcore is the number measured by Hwinfo or HWmonitor on your CPU when it is under max load.

What does this mean? Your Vcore could be above your VID. If you set 1.3v in the BIOS that's 1.3v VID. If you are also under adaptive voltage and you're running Prime95, your Vcore could be a whopping 1.5v, way above your set 1.3v.

and now I'm confused.

There was a suggestion in that thread to enable C-States, but I have mine disabled as per recommended from other sources I was reading when preparing to overclock.

--edit--

VID = stock voltage. It is ONE value. Anything outsode of that value is vcore or core voltage. Coretemp says your voltage is VID which is not correct (the name - voltage is).

Long story short, coretemp will show current vid/voltage, yes.

Based on what Ed said a few posts back, I would assume VID is showing an accurate reading of "vcore" or "core voltage" and my CPU is indeed reaching those higher values despite my 1.3v setting. So why is it that some of these programs show it all over the place and others give you a static read out?

Last edited:
Would some one please humor me with why VID flucuates so much in HWMonitor, AIDA64, and HWiNFO, and in CPU-Z it shows a static 1.312V for Core Voltage?

CPU-Z has a slow capture rate compared to HWmonitor and it does not store, so folks see the average Vcore out of CPU-Z.

VID (voltage identification) feeds the voltage information required to the VRM (Voltage regulate module) with what is needed for core voltage. With Intel's power saving features the VID will rise and fall dynamically also called adaptive on some motherboards, so Vcore changes with Clock speed and load in the default setting, I have always used use this feature. So what you need to do if you want use the default feature when overclocking is set your peak Vcore in hardware monitor using a stress test of your choice and find the minimum stable Vcore.

One thing good about using VID + Dynamically/Adaptive, for increasing voltage with overclocking is that when you have a light load the voltage will decrease also if the CPU load is going up and down the voltage also will do the same.

If you don't want to use VID just set the Vcore static to the stress test of your choice and don't go over the maximum stress after it is set because the Vcore voltage will not go up.

Example with my i5 6600k at 4.5GHz prime95 blend 1.272-1.332v Dynamic load and Dynamic Vcore.

Interesting. Thanks that clears that up a lot for me. I was wondering what that setting was in the BIOS and couldn't find a clear answer anywhere precisely what it did or how to use it. That makes more sense than what I've read.

Definitely going to have to try to use that and see what happens from there.

Interesting. Thanks that clears that up a lot for me. I was wondering what that setting was in the BIOS and couldn't find a clear answer anywhere precisely what it did or how to use it. That makes more sense than what I've read.

Definitely going to have to try to use that and see what happens from there.

On that board when you set Vcore I think it disables VID like my board, then it is static Vcore. If you want to go adaptive, then VID voltage Plus Vcore setting = total vcore when stress testing. So don't go over on voltage when you start off.

CPU-Z has a slow capture rate compared to HWmonitor and it does not store, so folks see the average Vcore out of CPU-Z.
Never checked on capture rate between the two, but do know cpuz is not an average. It is a live/current value.

Never checked on capture rate between the two, but do know cpuz is not an average. It is a live/current value.

I guess what i'm trying to say it is hard to spot or watch CPU-Z all the time to see the Minimums and Maximums.

Back