• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-2600k (stock fan) and Prime95 = 90C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermodynamic

eek!

Using a Gigabyte GA-P68MX-UD2H-B3 and Coretemp 1.0, when I start Prime95 the temps quickly shoot up to 65, 70, 75, 80C... and more.

Way too hot!

(Voltage never exceeds 1.36v as told by Coretemp).

Once I stop prime95, temps go back to 38c idle.

I don't overclock.

Should I be worried about these temps, especially as I move to doing 3D rendering and video editing?

Thanks!

No, it's not too big of a deal. You most likely will not hit past 80C with games or video editing. Try to stay below 80C if you can. If you deem it necessary, go get a simple new cooler for $20-50. Here are some options.

1. Less expensive option, good performance. Perfect for stock settings. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
2. More expensive option, but better performance. This is overkill for stock voltage and frequency though. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055&Tpk=Cooler Master V8

:rock:

Edit: You must also get thermal paste! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Last edited:
No, it's not too big of a deal. You most likely will not hit past 80C with games or video editing. Try to stay below 80C if you can. If you deem it necessary, go get a simple new cooler for $20-50. Here are some options.

1. Less expensive option, good performance. Perfect for stock settings. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
2. More expensive option, but better performance. This is overkill for stock voltage and frequency though. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055&Tpk=Cooler Master V8

:rock:

Edit: You must also get thermal paste! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Thanks much for the info!

Yeah, I definitely want to stay under 80C! :eek:

I'm opting for the V8 - and will try overclocking afterward, once I create a baseline so I know what to expect. Anything over 70C freaks me out...

I did some looking around on other forums - some people have had high temps as well. Someone was advised to check that the stock heatsink has a firm contact (mine does) and someone else reported very high temps with the 2600k as well.

I thought about buying the Corsair H60 at Best Buy (costing $30 more), but I'd read its performance is surprisingly mediocre...

is that stock clocks? it should have alot less voltage if so.. and would run alot cooler

is that stock clocks? it should have alot less voltage if so.. and would run alot cooler

Yup. Stock clocks.

My voltage settings in the mobo's BIOS are set to "normal". The BIOS reports 1.20V. In Windows, CPU-Z and Coretemp report 1.06v when idle. On load, Coretemp then reports up to 1.36V (whereas CPU-Z still reports 1.06v).

Using the BIOS' original settings, the CPU would get to 1.31v as reported in the BIOS.

LLC is disabled as well (default)...

Make sure it's properly seated, could be why you have crazy temps. I was able to push 4.4-4.5ghz on the stock cooler, never saw temps above the high 60's. I didn't really stress test it for more than a few minutes, just wanted to see if I could.

Make sure it's properly seated, could be why you have crazy temps. I was able to push 4.4-4.5ghz on the stock cooler, never saw temps above the high 60's. I didn't really stress test it for more than a few minutes, just wanted to see if I could.

It felt properly seated.

I reseated, and idle temps (BIOS) are still upper-40s.

Maybe it's the 3 year-old Arctic Silver being inadequate for the task.

I am buying some more tonight, along with a fan locally. I need to get the PC up and functional.

What bothers me is that I've not set this thing up for overclocking, but it's deciding to ramp up voltages against my will. I wonder if I purchased a bad motherboard... (I still feel queasy over it running the CPU at 1.38v for long periods of time, though not until Prime95 did temps go well above 50C.)

Thats high for stock clocks.. and laos way high for voltage... wow. Something isnt right.

Are you certain that crappy pushpin intel cooler is seated right? When you press down firmly for seconds do the temps go down?

Thats high for stock clocks.. and laos way high for voltage... wow. Something isnt right.

Are you certain that crappy pushpin intel cooler is seated right? When you press down firmly for seconds do the temps go down?

I confirmed the Intel cooler was fully seated. :(

I went out and bought a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (BIOS F5, so I will update it). And a new i7-2600K as well.

And new Arctic Silver 5, with an Arctic Freezer XTREME Rev 2 fan.

The default voltage read is 1.236V and idle temp is 29C. That's a HUGE improvement over what the other Gigabyte board was conjuring up for voltage (1.3~1.4v, and mid-40s for idle temp...

I'm not sure if it's the CPU or mobo that was bad, but I am returning them both. (the Z68A board has a better layout for PCIe cards, and now I can use Crossfire if I desired, along with my firewire card...)

While at the store, I read an article that - holy smokes - had tested CPU coolers. The stock Intel gets the 2600K up to a massive 87C. :eek: They tested a Corsair H80 as well, and Prime95 temps were 50C. But it plus a larger case (the H80 won't really fit in an Antec 300) isn't worth the $165 and I'm not going to be overclocking much... (maybe 4GHz for when I do 3D rendering, but everyone is saying how the CPU can do 4.4GHz on air with ease...)

I did also fathom the Corsair H60 liquid cooler, as it's on sale for $70, but I've got 14 days...

Try removing the push pins and pushing them back in till you feel a lock.

I posted before seeing your responses...

I'm tempted by liquid cooling, but the added cost is a bit much and - thankfully - the problem seemed hardware-based.) And it would only be useful for high-end pushing (e.g. 5GHz), which I am not going anywhere near.

And the Intel stock fan was fully seated (I did try reseating it before venturing on my purchases this evening. No difference. :( )

I think the Arctic Freeze XTREME Rev 2 will be perfect...

Back