• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 3770k CFX HD7970 watercooling help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grimreaper1014

Okay guys I have got my rig up and running. Now I would like to get the water cooling going. I see http://www.xoxide.com has the Swiftech H220 AIO. Which would work nice for cooling my i7. However, I would like to cool my HD7970's as well. I am going to have roughly 550w of heat from the HD7970's and about 150w for my CPU. Should I just get the H220 with some extra rad and some full cover GPU blocks? Will the H220's pump be powerful enough to handle two 240mm rads, CPU block, and two GPU blocks? If so what rad and full cover GPU blocks should I get? Thanks in advance.

I think it would be better overall if you just go with a full custom loop. It will look nicer and perform far better. Swiftech's pump is plenty strong, but the price/cooling ratio will be much better if you go full custom.

Why would the price / cooling ratio better with a custom loop? A custom loop with the same parts will cost MORE, no?

I would go that route (H220), add another rad in the loop and get your block. I don't see any reason that it would perform better with a custom loop... but am waiting to hear what the guy above has to say... ;)

Hmmm okay can you guys recommend a rad and full coverage blocks for the pair of 7970's? Then, if it is decided that a full custom loop is what is needed then I can add a pump, another rad, etc at that time? I have read through the water cooling guides but it does not give you a clear idea on what CPU blocks, GPU blocks, or rads are the best from what I could find.

grimreaper1014, Swiftech released in an email copied to Martinm210's comments that the H220 pump should have similar specs to their 35b pump, which is a 350 with top. Granted that is a manufacturer spec but Swiftech has been fairly accurate with their other pumps and that is all I have, so...

From Martinm210's site, the 35b or 350 with top has a PSI of 4.39 at 1 gpm, which is a good flow rate.

Martin then has a pump guide to help answer your question.

In a nutshell, after reading the stickies, you will want to look for low resistance components. Martin's site or Skinnee Labs often will perform a pressure drop but unfortunately we do not have this for all components.

Will be happy to answer questions except I have no idea whether the price / cooling ratio is better one or the other. It seems to me that if you wanted some cool-looking blocks that were restrictive, you could always add a second pump in series...but that's just my opinion. My reason to post was to share the head pressure email information from Swiftech on the H220 pump. Good luck. :)

add: OP, sorry I did not see your 10:09 post. The stickies refer us mostly to Skinnee Labs or Martin's site linked above. Bundymania is another tester not quite as informative as the prior testers but he has an AMD 7970 roundup here. In 2012 Stren released a large test of CPU blocks posted at XS. I need to type faster. :D

Last edited:
With a CPU and 2 GPU's, 2 120mm rads just isn't enough IMO. The pump will be struggling unless you go with really low resistance GPU blocks.

I never said a full custom loop would cost any LESS, and I wasn't assuming that he would use the exact same parts.

Right, so get a 4x120 + the included rad...the pump can handle it... will cost less than a full loop and perform just as well. SAme parts different parts, doesnt matter. Using the AIO instead of going full custom will be cheaper as you cant get a rad, pump, cpu block, fans (what the kit comes with) for less than $140 (can you?) and its performance will be the same.

I'd advise going full custom. Then you can get exactly what you want. Unless that kit is that of course.:thup:

How much rad am I going to need to remove the 200w (Really 150w) of heat from the CPU and 600w (really 550w) from the GPU's? I want to make sure I am going to have enough headroom. I don't want to find out later that I am lacking somewhere.

If the pump in the H220 AIO is cutting it close I can just go with the MCP35x pump. I believe that is the pump that everyone says is really good and it is highly recommended here.

Sidewindercomputers.com has Swiftech 2x120 rads for $46.99. I think that should be good enough for the CPU right? As far as the GPU's go should I go with another 2x120 or should I go bigger? There is a Swiftech 3x120 for $69.99, or even bigger yet a Swiftech 4x120 for $83.95. I just don't know where the hell I would fit that big boy in my HAF912 case. The rads above are Swiftech's eXtreme Performance line. They also have a sale on their Quiet Performance line which are even cheaper yet. I'm just not sure how well they perform. Would it be better to go with them if I don't want loud fans?

I was thinking about putting the 2x120 on the top of the case and I heard there is some kind of pegs or something you can get to mount a rad on the back of your case. However, I'm not sure how big you can go. Can someone give me some information on mounting rads on the back of a case? Like what equipment is needed and how big of a rad can be used?

As far as blocks go what are some of the top performing CPU blocks? I was wanting to go with full cover GPU blocks but now that I have thought about it some more I just want to go with universals. Due to the fact that I want to be able to use this loop in the future when I end up upgrading to newer video cards. Could someone recommend some good universal GPU blocks for my HD7970s?

I would go at least 3X120 for the GPUs and 2x120 for the CPU.

As far mounting externally, there is an item called a Swiftech rad box. I hung a PA 120.2 (thick) rad off it just fine. 'how much rad' is answered in the stickies as well.

In the stickies are links to good GPU blocks. My knowledge is dated otherwise I would help you... I do know of a Swiftech MCW82 that is universal.

My problem is I don't know where I will put all the rads. I'm not sure what the max size is you can hang from the back. I know I can fit a 2x120 on top. Plus I guess people have modded this case to accept a 2x120 internally at the bottom on the inside of the case. I guess I could always but another 2x120 on the back. I wonder if a 3x120 could be mounted to the back of the PC that way I won't have to go chopping up the inside of the case?

As far as the GPU blocks go I have seen the ones in the links. The same for the CPU. I am just wondering which ones perform the best. I want to make sure I get some good blocks.

Have you went to the swiftech site and read its specs? I have to image that a 3x120 will be just fine there considering, and this is why I said it, I hung a heavier 2x120 rad off one...

I dont know of any other universal blocks. The stickies may have that information... check it out (perhaps again).

Going to check the specs on it now. I guess if worse comes to worse I could find all the universal blocks in the stickies and research them one by one and see which are the best. The same for the CPU blocks. I just don't know much about restriction of the water and all that. I can always check back here though once I think I found the correct items. Thanks for your help.

I wouldnt worry about restriction on the universal blocks... they are not bad, especially when compared to full cover blocks.

I just double and tripple checked the Water cooling sticky. There is one universal GPU water block. Its the Swiftech MCW82 that EarthDog linked too. I found a Swiftech 7900 series heatsink for it them as well. Does anyone know of any universal block that is better than this? Would the GPU water block and full card heat sink be all I need other than some thermal paste?

The water cooling sticky says the EK Supreme HF is the best CPU water block. I am just wondering if that is still accurate today? It was a little difficult to locate but I found a copper one for about $88.

I am going to pickup one of the Swiftech eXtreme series 2x120 rads, and one of the 3x120 rads. As far as fans I think I will go with the Helix's.

For the pump I am going to get a Swiftech MCP35x with the Swiftech Reservoir for MCP35X pump Revision 2b.

I believe the only lift is fittings and tubing. Could someone left me know what fittings and tubing I should get? That's the only thing I don't have figured out.

Fittings and tubing is an individual thing. It's explained in the stickies and over posts here almost every day.

have you Googled PC watercooling CPU reviews or other such tools?

I'd get the Koolance 380 CPU block myself.

EK makes a GPU only block.

Yep I did some googling around but most of the articles I found were old. I couldn't find anything to recent. As far as pumps go I see in the article it says the MCP355 w/top is the best pump. Should I go with that over the MCP35x? I just seen you have been recommending the MCP35x a lot which is why I was going to choose it.

That's a start. Yes, guess you missed in the stickies we mention martinsliquidlab.org and skinneelabs.com.

It takes a LOT of research on your own to do it right, many do it that way. Some just seem to need more help for some reason. So keep at it, it's only been a day. No reason not to hang out, spend a week reading posts and old posts like studying for finals, same for the stickies. It's really up to you.

WC is a HOBBY and not to be rushed.

Go Steelers! Unless they are playing the Broncos.

I have been fallowing around for a few months now. I think I got a pretty good grasp on whats going on. I have read around on skinnelabs etc. What I been mostly wanting though is roundups of the latest stuff so I can see which is the best of each category. The roundups I found are 2012 and older and I know there is new stuff coming out all the time. The part that is the hardest to understand for me is the part about the barbs, clamps, etc. Mostly because I am more of a visual learner. I have a hard time reading and retaining what I read which is why I read over the water cooling stickies multiple times. I got herniated disks in my neck and back so it makes it hard to sit for long periods and to hold my head up and read for longs periods. I need to look up some builds to get an idea of how many barbs etc I will need. I'm going to lookup some water cooling videos. I have had this rig built for about a month now and still on stock cooling. I am getting antsy to overclock this SOB lol.

PS. The Steelers that's my team!!! I love the Colts too. Been a Colts fan since I was a kid.

Okay, you got medical issues. So I'll slow down.

I want you to spend 2-5 weeks at your own pace reading everything you can. You can make drawings of your loop as you learn more. The following post is to GUIDE YOU, but you haven't been researching at all, way not long enuff.

I spent THREE MONTHS before I bought my first WC part. Your current PC is running great, like mine was, so what is the Friggin hurry?

Go with 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing. Buy 10' of the new Primochill Pro tubing. Buy Bitspower barbs for 1/2" ID tubing, two for every part. You can see each part has an inlet and outlet. Buy stainless worm screw (many names) clamps that are for 3/4" OD tubing. Buy 4 90 degree Bitspower fittings. Buy 4 45 degree Bitspower fittings. The curved fittings allow for placements of parts and better angles for tubing.

All the fittings will have G1/4 THREAD pattern, the fitting to the tube can be many sizes. I hopefully have spelled it out.

Read more each and evry one from first to last. Don't gloss. You hurt etc, do the rest later. Read it like it's your law degree final prep. Don't take it lightly. NO HURRY, it's a hobby.
http://www.overclockers.com/beginners-guide-water-cooling/

http://www.overclockerstech.com/water-cooling-guide-for-beginners/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky

Ultimately, it's your stuff. Once it arrives at your door, it's all up to you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back