• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 7700k Temps going nuts - Vid included

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great! Hopefully you wiped it clean and reapplied instead of just strapping it back on. :)

Now the goal is the use the least amount of voltage and be stable at a given clocks speed. Stable means stress testing it with an application of your choice. AIDA64 has one, Prime 95 has one (it will really heat up the CPU). You can use Realbench stress test from ASUS... Generally running any one of those a few hours without problems (keep temps at 90C or below in stress tests - games will be some 20C+ cooler generally) yields a 'stable' system.

What you can do, please, is to resize those images (irfanview can do it) and host them locally. This way when users see this thread, the images will actually work in a year or two. ;)

Ok I understand I wil try to change the old pictures with irfanview.

But look I found something strange:

core.PNG prime.PNG

This is prime95 and the themps next to it while running.
It shows: "Fatal Error", on at least 2 of the cores it seems.
Why would this be?

That would be instability running P95 at that speed and voltage. You'll either need to drop the speed or raise the voltage. Problem with more voltage is that you're already touching 90° so very little headroom. P95 is a very hard CPU intensive program and I'm not surprised it failed.

Oh I see, I thought if it was instable because of voltage too low, my pc would just turn off, like it used to back long time ago on other pc.

Also I changed all the pictures again to upload size and replaced them.

Sometimes the PC crashes sometimes it drops threads. Your voltage is close enough that it didn't crash but not enough to keep all threads running. Which test are you using in P95?

Sometimes the PC crashes sometimes it drops threads. Your voltage is close enough that it didn't crash but not enough to keep all threads running. Which test are you using in P95?

I understand, ok and I was using the standard prime test, meaning I start the program and just use what was selected by default and didnt make any changes.

I assume that's blend which is fine. You'll need to do a bit more tweaking to get it stable. You could also try setting a -1 AVX offset in BIOS. That way when the system encounters AVX instructions like it uses in P95 it'll drop speed to 4700, when not running AVX it'll run at 4800

Hello, sorry for delay.
I did some more testing now and what I did was start program and just click here on ok with this setting:

test.PNG

After failed test for 1.25 V @ 4.8 Ghz, I tried going up to 1.26 V:

1.26V.PNG

And after this 1.27:

1.27V.PNG

And 1.28:

1.28v.PNG

And 1.29:

1.29v.PNG

And finally 1.3

1.3v.PNG

At this point I stopped because I wondered It is not actually the voltage anymore that is the problem,
and wanted to post this information before trying further.

Something is very wrong. Your liquid temp is fine @ 32c which means your cores should be in the 30's c idle and Im guessing 60's and 70's on some what load, yet your temps are soo high. Your temp and liquid temp should be closer. That 95c was crazy under water. I would blame the pump, but the pump is working fine and your liquid temp is fine. So why all the heat. You should be hovering in the 30's depending on room temp and liquid temp maybe lower. You should be at 60's and 70's under some good load. Not full load tho that Im in no place to say.

Last edited:
@JellyBellyBooo As I said earlier, I was pretty sure you weren't going to manage 4.8 on that cooler. Try dropping the AVX offset like I suggested. Then you can keep your 4.8 in non-AVX loads and the CPU will drop back 100-200 MHz for AVX loads to 4.6-4.7 GHz. Unless you can manage to keep the temps down 4.8 with P95 isn't going to happen.

Something is very wrong. Your liquid temp is fine @ 32c which means your cores should be in the 30's c idle and Im guessing 60's and 70's on some what load, yet your temps are soo high. Your temp and liquid temp should be closer. That 95c was crazy under water. I would blame the pump, but the pump is working fine and your liquid temp is fine. So why all the heat. You should be hovering in the 30's depending on room temp and liquid temp maybe lower. You should be at 60's and 70's under some good load. Not full load tho that Im in no place to say.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but you gotta slow down. There's no need to go ringing the fire bell. We've went through the cooling and unless JellyB has some bad airflow through the case it's more than likely just the CPU. Not all 7700Ks are created equal and Jelly's might have a less than optimal TIM application on and under the IHS. What I do know is that we have already had progress on cooling so I'm leaning towRD THE cpu ITSELF BEING THE HOT SPOT. Either way Jelly still has some testing to do

@JellyBellyBooo As I said earlier, I was pretty sure you weren't going to manage 4.8 on that cooler. Try dropping the AVX offset like I suggested. Then you can keep your 4.8 in non-AVX loads and the CPU will drop back 100-200 MHz for AVX loads to 4.6-4.7 GHz. Unless you can manage to keep the temps down 4.8 with P95 isn't going to happen.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but you gotta slow down. There's no need to go ringing the fire bell. We've went through the cooling and unless JellyB has some bad airflow through the case it's more than likely just the CPU. Not all 7700Ks are created equal and Jelly's might have a less than optimal TIM application on and under the IHS. What I do know is that we have already had progress on cooling so I'm leaning towRD THE cpu ITSELF BEING THE HOT SPOT. Either way Jelly still has some testing to do

Ok this time I put down the Vcore back to 1.28, as it seemed to have made no difference in the testing after this voltage value and
I put the AVX negative offset to 1 and man look at this :) :

Unbenannt.PNG

Even the themps are not too bad considering it is prime95 rape test x) :

Unbenannt2.PNG

Jelly, to demonstrate stability we generally recommend running the Prime95 stress test for 2 hours. If you pass that without any of the 12 threads dropping out then you can assume the overclock is stable.

One way to check if the cooler base is making good contact with the CPU is to carefully remove the cooler from the CPU and check the spread pattern of the paste. If there is uneven contact you will see evidence of it in the spread pattern of the paste on the base and or the CPU top.

The temp difference between the hottest and coolest core is only 7c and the core temps are all under 90c now so I think your mount is better.

When EarthDog talked about using a BB to pea sized blob of paste that is standard methodology for applying thermal paste. Don't try to spread it on the surface. Let the clamping pressure do that for you. Before applying paste you should clean the two surfaces with a tissue or cloth moistened with isopropyl alcohol. When tightening the clamping screws you should use an "X" pattern, tightening each screw (or nut) one or two turns at a time to keep the pressure even until the screws or nuts bottom out.

Last edited:
Looks good JellyB, I would finalize things just as they are. Please in the future stop using rape/rapey or anything similar. It's not necessary and is just not appropriate for these forums.

What a large thread... EarthDog I hand it to you, your very kind human being and knowledgeable. Good job helping this poor guy. I can't believe you hit 100c on 800Mhz lol, I don't know what you have as stress test but 70's is what you want, not above and sometimes 60's c . Your temps are out of control, Your idle is no good but that can be the room temp and the liquid is getting hot. Turn on AC or something since were in summer. I think you will like fall and winter with your rig. But for now I don't like those temps. Also BF1 is not taking your CPU to the max,, I saw 66 percent 50 percent etc on the cores. Imagine if you take up 100 percent of CPU power youll go to 130c and your Rig will blow up into dust. Nah jk. But you need to do something about that 93c I saw with 50 or 60 percent CPU use. Just imagine the day comes and its 100 percent load, like if you render or something. If under 1.3v is giving these kind of temps you need to reduce your OC. Remember what I said about BF1.... you can run your CPU at stock and I bet you won't see a difference in BF1 and what not. I think you need to take down your OC a tad bit and adjust the vcore carefully. But good news is your PC doesnt crash or freeze so that is good news. But I have question whats the temp in your room ? Also your case might not be doing a good job with the Rad. Where is the Rad placed and is hot air getting out of your Rig. good luck
Ea

Back